Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

dishwasher recommendations?

So my dishwasher seems to have bitten the dust. It did not run last night, as it was supposed to. Ick. I had been planning to replace it anyway, so it's not that big of a deal.

Anyone have any particular brands or features you'd recommend? The one I have is a 24" under-countertop model.

TIA!

vCash
    Kitchen aid with stainless interior. Love mine!!! Also, save your silverware tray from the old one, if you are like me and have more forks and spoons to wash than dishes. I have both trays in the dishwasher and now when my fork space fills up, so does my dish space.

vCash
    I went through this process last summer and did a tonne of research.

Bosch dishwashers consistently get rave reviews, but they are smaller in size, and tend to be more difficult to get North American dishes to fit! I tried my own, and it just didn't work very well, and it was significantly smaller...so as someone who uses the dishwasher frequently, the Bosch models just wouldn't work.

We ended up going with a Kenmore (Whirlpool model) - but I forget the model number... :/

vCash
    Just bought a Kitchenaid last month. Love it.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Kitchenaid tends to be a very reliable brand, no matter what product you are buying. We have a Frigidaire and have had some issues. When we try to put it on Econowash the little door that holds the detergent wont open so the dishes just get a hot water bath. This is easily remedied by washing on the Normal cycle but that takes FOREVER. We also have a REALLY HARD TIME getting it to start. The button just doesn't work and I have literally had to sit on the floor and press it over and over. For some reason the start button is also the cancel button so when you press it to start it cancels out and you have to turn the knob to reset and try again. This can takes MANY attempts before working. This has always been a problem and the dishwasher is only about 6 years old. Not sure how long they last but it did this when we moved in the house 5 years ago.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

...an acquired taste
    vCash
    I love my Bosch. My dishes all fit in it.

vCash
    I have an LG - bought it last year and I really like it. It is so silent I often forget I have started it. It does clean very well also. I hope it is durable.
    pug lover

vCash
    we were looking at maybe getting a new one, and my friend has a Bosch he really likes - he says it is very, very quiet.

vCash
    I just had my Asko dishwasher repaired (drain hose was split from old age), and I asked the repairman what makes of dishwashers he would recommend since we are about to embark on a major kitchen remodel. He told me he likes the Bosch dishwashers. Having owned an Asko dishwasher for about 15 years, I would say the repairs on it have been a little above average but hey, it's lasted 15 years.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    I love Asko. Super quiet, except when emptying water. The parts are almost all steel and high quality. And the three-tiered system is so amazingly efficient. I heart the silverware tray. So much better than a basket!

vCash
    has anyone tried the fischer/paykell dish drawers?

vCash
    A year ago we replaced our old dishwasher with a Miele one. I absolutely love it! It's completely quiet, plastic dishes can go either on the top or bottom rack, and it has a top tray for silverware instead of a basket (I also use the tray for baby bottle parts and other small-ish objects).

vCash
    My Kitchen-Aid nearly burned our house down a few months ago. The Circuit Board is problematic in the Whirlpool family of brands:
    http://www.kitchenaidfire.com/

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I have a Whirlpool that I love because the utensil tray is on the door. Saves valuable real estate for dishes.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ania View Post
    A year ago we replaced our old dishwasher with a Miele one. I absolutely love it! It's completely quiet, plastic dishes can go either on the top or bottom rack, and it has a top tray for silverware instead of a basket (I also use the tray for baby bottle parts and other small-ish objects).
    I have a Miele, also. We got it because we needed a dishwasher that would fit in a space with about 1/2" less height. The dishwasher is the same as any other brand, but is adjustable (with legs) to work in the unusual space. Well, we LOVE it! It is so quiet, that you don't even know it's on. I can't tell you how many times i opened it (accidentally) while it was running, because it is so quiet. I learned to check for the running light. But, after having 2 other dishwashers that were supposed to be quiet and weren't. this one is amazing!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    My friend got a Miele that is quiet, but it runs for 3 hours with no shorter cycle available. She did her remodeling a while ago so maybe they have changed. If you want to stop and add something after it has started, it starts back at the beginning and runs for 3 hours again. Hers has drawers.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Thanks for all the tips. I will ponder everything and then start shopping. Too bad I am going to have to wash the load that did not get washed due to the breakdown, ugh!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    My friend got a Miele that is quiet, but it runs for 3 hours with no shorter cycle available. She did her remodeling a while ago so maybe they have changed. If you want to stop and add something after it has started, it starts back at the beginning and runs for 3 hours again. Hers has drawers.
    Mine is about 2 years old, and does not do that. It runs for about an hour and a bit more. Mine doesn't have drawers. Those are a more recent style, but I prefer the traditional set up. The drawer style allows you to do small loads (only one drawer at a time), but they don't load as easily as the open, traditional style. I do have the full door drop. There is no 4" panel under the door. So, the height, inside the dishwasher, is more than the models with the 4" panel. And the inside is stainless. Things to remember about stainless: they are quieter, they hold up better. But, you cannot wash sterling silver in them. You can put sterling silver in a dishwasher, as long as there are no other metals in it. But, by definition, a stainless tup has metal in it.

vCash
    We got a Bosch last year from Sears. It is super quiet and I love it. It has the ability to do a 1/2 load as well. Everything fits well in it, and the longest load cycle is 2 hours and 10 minutes. The basket for silverware is on the side, so lots of room for big pots.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    has anyone tried the fischer/paykell dish drawers?
    They're junk. They get horrible ratings and are prone to leaking. We had one in our apartment when we bought it. Looked beautiful and fancy. Leaked like a sieve. Fortunately we found out before we bought the apartment. The installer who took it away said he had been removing lots of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast