Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Orbitz, I thought you were linking to this.
    That dress is hideous!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Does her stylist secretly openly hate her?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    dowdy style and unflattering color aside, when she was publicizing her book, i thought it looked very unhealthy. and i've already said i think her skin looks old for 40. for someone who keeps telling other people how to eat, she's doing something wrong.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    People keep going on about how great her body is but I think that just hows that our society equates all sorts of good things with being thin. Because she doesn't seem particularly healthy to me.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Her physique looks frail. She has some really good ideas about nutrition, but she also looks like she deprives herself as well.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I don't think her body is great either. When I think of a great female body in Hollywood, I think of Jessica Biel who is a big gym rat as I've heard.

Or in skating, Ashley Wagner. That girl is IN SHAPE!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    She has gorgeous legs and carries herself well. Her smile is lovely and her hair is beautiful but frankly, anyone who can afford excellent stylists can have good hair unless there's something really wrong with them. Personally I think of her as the archtypical shiksa goddess per Phillip Roth, which is hilarious since her dad is Jewish, and she's somewhat boring to look at albeit pretty.

The one thing I will give her is that her singing voice is many notches better than i thought it would be, on Glee.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    People keep going on about how great her body is but I think that just hows that our society equates all sorts of good things with being thin. Because she doesn't seem particularly healthy to me.
    Gwyneth's body reminds me of my mother's. Which isn't good because my mom was diagnosed with full-blown osteoporosis in her early 50s. Being so thin and eschewing strength training really isn't so great....

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I don't think her body is great either. When I think of a great female body in Hollywood, I think of Jessica Biel who is a big gym rat as I've heard.

Or in skating, Ashley Wagner. That girl is IN SHAPE!
    LOVE muscles on women! Jessica Biel can GET IT! She even has visible back muscles and I was like, "YOU GO GIRL!"

Actually, most skaters do, by virtue of the sport, but it's rare to see a female celebrity with visible back muscles. I was so proud of myself when I could finally see mine, thanks to weightlifting.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yes, weight lifting is the best in terms of efficiently changing your body AND the only known way to keep your bone density up (calcium supplements don't work and are harmful). Jessica Biel inspires me.

She is a lot more interesting to look at than Gwyneth IMO. Off to lift some weights! I want that back!

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Thanks for the pic, IceAlisa - that'll keep me inspired for lifting some weights!

As for Gwyneth, I can't stand her. She must have a great publicist

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    stephen huvane reps both gwyneth and jennifer aniston and he's a magician. it's funny because i always thought they were 2 sides of the same coin and would be folding long and leans at the gap w/o nepotism to lean on.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Yes, weight lifting is the best in terms of efficiently changing your body AND the only known way to keep your bone density up (calcium supplements don't work and are harmful). Jessica Biel inspires me.

She is a lot more interesting to look at than Gwyneth IMO. Off to lift some weights! I want that back!
    They are? I've been taking calcium supplements for a while, and had Alf on them when he broke his wrist in two places - he had his cast off in only 5 weeks so I figured it must have been helping.

My body hasn't really changed (you'd have to overhaul your diet too), but the weightlifting definitely makes your body denser! My thighs don't squash as easily. And my head looks a little less ridiculously huge because my shoulders have a smidge more mass on them. Also, my waist looks smaller because I have muscles on my hips now.

I haven't gone to the gym in three weeks. It's going to be sad seeing how much less weight I can lift from last time.

I don't think Jessica uses the power rack like I do. She probably builds up muscle much more easily doing calisthenics. I have to work for what I got! I still don't look like I should be able to lift what I'm able to.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash

Thanks, IA. Now I don't have to feel guilty for not taking calcium, it screws up my stomach something awful. But I think I need some help learning strength training, my half-hearted efforts a few times a week on the Nautilus are probably not enough.

I also think the more muscled women are sexier than the bony girls like Gwynnie...I wanted Navka's body when she was skating.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am sure we've discussed calcium supplements here at some point. Would you like to read the relevant study? It was a big one and IIRC made it to the NYT.

As to strength training, it may be worth it to get a few lessons first just so that you have good form and are not hurting yourself.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Thanks, IA. Now I don't have to feel guilty for not taking calcium, it screws up my stomach something awful. But I think I need some help learning strength training, my half-hearted efforts a few times a week on the Nautilus are probably not enough.

I also think the more muscled women are sexier than the bony girls like Gwynnie...I wanted Navka's body when she was skating.
    YouTube! I'm mostly doing squats and deadlifts on the power rack (I've only seen one other woman using it, so it's definitely a man's realm), and Crossfit coaches have exceedingly helpful tutorials on those. They put as much time and effort analyzing weightlifting form as we do skating routines.

But it's likely you aren't thinking of going all in like I have. YouTube is definitely helpful for whatever you want to do, anyway.

Also, I usually lift weights only once or twice a week. I have no idea how people can go full out every day, goddamn my tiny muscles need a rest!

vCash
    I am sure we've discussed calcium supplements here at some point. Would you like to read the relevant study? It was a big one and IIRC made it to the NYT.

As to strength training, it may be worth it to get a few lessons first just so that you have good form and are not hurting yourself.
    Was it this article? http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...supplements-2/

I'll probably still keep taking it. Absolutely no history of heart disease in my family, but osteoporosis is pretty much guaranteed. I'm not going to go down like my grandmother did. I want to be able to lift 200 lbs by my 30th birthday. Damn this probably means I need to get my ass to the gym more often.

It might be already too late for my mother, although I'm trying to talk her into doing something like yoga to improve her balance. Osteoporosis isn't usually dangerous by itself...until you take a spill!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    It may have been. The study it mentions says:

In February, the United States Preventive Services Task Force recommended that postmenopausal women refrain from taking supplemental calcium and vitamin D. After reviewing more than 135 studies, the task force said there was little evidence that these supplements prevent fractures in healthy women.
    So why keep taking it? Seems like there are risks and no benefits. Talk to your doctor about it though. And yes, keep lifting weights to avoid osteoporosis.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    So why keep taking it? Seems like there are risks and no benefits. Talk to your doctor about it though. And yes, keep lifting weights to avoid osteoporosis.
    Because I have become obsessed lately with building up my bone density before I start losing it at 30. Hence the lifting-200lbs-by-30 goal. My cousin's in med school and he thinks there's absolutely nothing I can do to prevent it, because of my genetics. Which makes me and makes me want to go on the heavy weights more. I guess we'll just see when I'm my mother's age...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post

The one thing I will give her is that her singing voice is many notches better than i thought it would be, on Glee.
    If she wasn't famous already, I doubt she would be asked to do anything involving singing. Her voice is pleasant but it certainly isn't professional singer quality.

(And I don't care if she had a hit song with Huey Lewis. That record should have been credited as a duet by Huey Lewis and AutoTune.)
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Because I have become obsessed lately with building up my bone density before I start losing it at 30.
    Then you are better off getting your Ca++ from your diet and lifting weights. Again, talk to your doctor.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/5/1428.short

from Speedy Death

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast