Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    That would be kind of fun to hear, I guess. I don't watch any UK shows other than Downton Abbey where all the actors are British AFAIK.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I heard some horrible American accents in a lot of UK television shows though.
    This is definitely true! There are many British actors who can do excellent American accents when appearing in American tv shows or movies, but whenever someone tries to sound American on a UK tv show it never seems to work.

As for Gwyneth, I'm not interested in her lifestyle or advice of shopping, nutrition and cooking, fashion, parenting or anything else. But I did quite like her in Emma, one of my favourite movies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    As for Gwyneth, I'm not interested in her lifestyle or advice of shopping, nutrition and cooking, fashion, parenting or anything else. But I did quite like her in Emma, one of my favourite movies.
    ITA re Emma. Gwyneth was really great in that movie. I liked her in SIL, The Perfect Murder, and Shallow Hal too.

But why do actors think they know more than the rest of us about virtually everything? It's such a bizarre social development -- where the average person looks to actors (actors!) for guidance ... What the heck do actors know? They are entertainers, and some are good enough that they can call themselves artists. They're just human beings who have a uniquely visible job and high profile. That's about it. If anything, their life and work experience is so divorced from anything that the average person experiences. I guess it amounts to idolization, which, by its definition, is blind.

O-

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    This is definitely true! There are many British actors who can do excellent American accents when appearing in American tv shows or movies, but whenever someone tries to sound American on a UK tv show it never seems to work.
    Maybe they aren't trying to actually sound American but what the average UK tv show audience thinks we sound like?

As for actors/actresses, I think I might look to them for fashion advice if they were ones who were known to dress fashionably since a lot of them need to know about fashion as part of selling themselves. Then maybe shopping assuming they started out doing their own but that starts to get iffy. Then when you get to cooking and nutrition, a lot of them learn a lot about it so they can look good for their roles but a lot them do horrible stuff to look right and aren't healthy at all so that would depend too. But parenting? Puleaze. What does being an actor have to do with parenting?!

P.S. Forgot about Emma. That was good too.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Blergh
    vCash
    How is it really different from all these bloggers or youtube personalities that decide to share their advice on life, fashion, health, parenting, pottery, knitting, etc. to the world?

vCash
    How is it really different from all these bloggers or youtube personalities that decide to share their advice on life, fashion, health, parenting, pottery, knitting, etc. to the world?
    It's different because this is a relatively new development and they don't have the visibility to have hoards of people hanging on their every word.

Celebrities and so-called celebrities have a PR machine that drives their relevance. The average blogger does not. And, as a result, the average blogger does not wield the same level of influence.

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I like her mother, Blythe Danner. She is older but I find her more attractive and a better actress.
    I'm surprised she hasn't gotten an Oscar nod. I would have given her one for her role as Nick Nolte's wife The Prince of Tides, had she been given more to do. Kate Nelligan got one, and she was godawful in that.

Methinks Babs put her and Melinda Dillon's best work in that film on the cutting room floor .

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    It's different because this is a relatively new development and they don't have the visibility to have hoards of people hanging on their every word.

Celebrities and so-called celebrities have a PR machine that drives their relevance. The average blogger does not. And, as a result, the average blogger does not wield the same level of influence.

O-
    I like the way you put this.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash

I'm not really sure it's all that different. The nice thing about the internet is that anyone who wants to can write about anything and you and I can decide if what they write is worth reading and listening to. That's also the bad thing about the internet.

But when you do that, you open yourself up to people saying "who the hell are you to be blogging about ____________" especially if you have no official credentials. You aren't immune to that if you are famous, either.

I pointed out reasons that someone might care what an actress had to say about fashion and even possibly nutrition. There are reasons someone might listen to me when it comes to fitness or nutrition. Neither of us has official credentials though and people will often respond to something I say with "oh really and where is your fancy-smancy degree. I'm going to listen to my doctor." Who has just told them something that he sort of remembers from the half day nutrition class he was taught in medical school 20 years ago and since been thoroughly debunked by science. But, whatever.

If people want to believe someone because of the initials they have their name, that's their prerogative. And if someone wants to believe Gwyneth knows something about nutrition because she's thin and needs to be good looking for her job, that's their prerogative too. And if people want to believe me because I've been right before and they know I read up on the subject, that is also their prerogative. None of those things are a guarantee that any of us is right this particular time, but at some point you can't research everything all the time and you have to pick whose advice you are going to follow about what things and what you are going to verify for yourself.

As for influence, there are bloggers who were nobody who are now immensely influential. The Deuce makes over a million dollars a year on her blog. Other bloggers have a more modest sphere and others use their blog to extend or reinforce the sphere they already have. Gwyneth falls into that category IMO. Her blog reinforces her brand; it didn't create it and her brand will live on if her blog goes away.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    As for influence, there are bloggers who were nobody who are now immensely influential. The Deuce makes over a million dollars a year on her blog. Other bloggers have a more modest sphere and others use their blog to extend or reinforce the sphere they already have. Gwyneth falls into that category IMO. Her blog reinforces her brand; it didn't create it and her brand will live on if her blog goes away.
    These bloggers -- and there are very few who rise to this level of prominence -- have become pseudo-celebrities (though I have never heard of The Deuce, for instance -- I guess that makes me irrelevant ...). They are hardly the average Joe. It's just like any reality "star." They gain notoriety and people suddenly look and listen -- maybe only for a time while they are visible (e.g., Kate Gosselin). The average blogger gets very little attention and, therefore, wields very little influence. Of course we can all choose to listen to anyone we want, including ourselves. But that doesn't change the fact that celebrities have more visibility than the average individual, professional, and/or blogger, and more people will notice them and listen to them and follow their trends.

I just can't compare a blogger to a movie "star." Not the same at all in my book.

O-

vCash
    Do you mean Sliding Doors? I loved her in that film and she had hands down one of the best English accents i've heard an American do consistently in a film.
    No, it was Emma.

For all I know, her accent was perfect, but she is just one of those actors who irks me. I will say this, she played one hell of a head in a box in Seven, and all of it offscreen.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I will give her props for being able to to an English accent. A lot of US actor's can't or won't. Actors from UK or Australia have no problem at least attempting to do US accents.
    She did a decent one in "Possession" (good flick, also has Jeremy Northam, Jennifer Ehle, and Aaron Eckhart.) Good enough that while it was a teensy bit stilted, it didn't stick out (and that worked for the character. I don't think that was intentional as she sounds the same in other movies with an English accent, but it worked.)

And I've found the reverse--a lot of American actors can learn to do at least a functional RP English accent, there's often something not quite right about an English actor trying to sound American-something about the vowel switching seems to be harder. Hugh Laurie was notable because he was VERY good (I can hear a LITTLE bit that the accent isn't quite...something...but that's because I've seen him in A LOT of other things and know to listen for it.) And Scottish actors, well...some have trouble sounding ENGLISH, let alone American. Watch "Rome" and listen to Kevin McKidd every time Vorenus has to be angry-accent runs North to the border. Apparently it was an issue for David Tennant on "Doctor Who", too--he made the mistake of complaining to the writers about "oo" sounds, which are apparently REALLY hard to fix for someone with a Scottish accent. Next script, they gave him the line "Judoon platoon upon the moon." I wouldn't have blamed him from whacking whoever wrote that over the head with the script.

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    Lots of people write various books on all sort of subjects - especially parenting books are a funny thing. Many, many, many people are parents, and a lot of those books are basically written by parents (some by child psychologists, or pediatricians or people with degrees in child development/education, but still a lot by parents). What make them a more qualified parent than me?

hmm, maybe I should write a parenting book
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

Blergh
    vCash
    Right. The whole self-help, nutrition, etc. section at a book store is full of lay people giving advice based on their own personal experiences rather than from formal training. Many of them bestsellers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    She did a decent one in "Possession" (good flick, also has Jeremy Northam, Jennifer Ehle, and Aaron Eckhart.) Good enough that while it was a teensy bit stilted, it didn't stick out (and that worked for the character. I don't think that was intentional as she sounds the same in other movies with an English accent, but it worked.)

And I've found the reverse--a lot of American actors can learn to do at least a functional RP English accent, there's often something not quite right about an English actor trying to sound American-something about the vowel switching seems to be harder. Hugh Laurie was notable because he was VERY good (I can hear a LITTLE bit that the accent isn't quite...something...but that's because I've seen him in A LOT of other things and know to listen for it.) And Scottish actors, well...some have trouble sounding ENGLISH, let alone American. Watch "Rome" and listen to Kevin McKidd every time Vorenus has to be angry-accent runs North to the border. Apparently it was an issue for David Tennant on "Doctor Who", too--he made the mistake of complaining to the writers about "oo" sounds, which are apparently REALLY hard to fix for someone with a Scottish accent. Next script, they gave him the line "Judoon platoon upon the moon." I wouldn't have blamed him from whacking whoever wrote that over the head with the script.
    The worst US accent I have heard from a UK actor/actress had to have been Emma Samms when she took over the role of Fallon in Dynasty. I love Emma, but she was so miscast that it wasn't even funny.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    (though I have never heard of The Deuce, for instance -- I guess that makes me irrelevant ...).
    Some people have never heard of Gwyneth Paltrow either. That's beside the point.

They are hardly the average Joe.
    But that's my point. They were the average joe. And people started listening to them because they had something to say and people liked what they had to say or their voice or whatever. Now they are celebrities and they have just as much influence through their blogs as someone who started the other way around.

The average blogger gets very little attention and, therefore, wields very little influence.
    It's tiered. Rather like being an actor actually. There are a ton who start a blog and don't even last more than a few months and no one reads it but their friends and family. Most bloggers are like that and most blogs don't even make it a year.

Then there are bloggers who are reasonably well-known in their small circle influence and have more readers they have never met than readers they have. People write to them for advice and do listen to them and are inspired by them. When they go to events within their sphere of influence, people who they never met go up to them to tell them how much their blog/advice means to them.

There are also bloggers who are very well known to the point that everyone in a particular online community pretty much knows them and they even get haters. They have quite a sphere of influence to the point where they have sponsors and advertisers and even make money from their blogs. Not a lot. But enough to buy the groceries. They would find the idea that they wield very little influence to be rather amusing. They wield a ton. It's just not a General Audience kind of influence.

The number of true celebrity bloggers is tiny, of course, just like the number of actors who make millions per film is small. But there are some and they definitely wield influence by anyone's definition.

Anyway, you claimed that it's different because "they don't have the visibility to have hoards of people hanging on their every word." But in fact, once you reach the tiers where you have sponsors and advertisers, you do have hoards of people hanging on your every word. So, it's not different. Not in that way.

The only difference I see is that for people like Gwyneth, the fame drives the blog, while for people who became famous from their blogs, the blog drives the fame. So Gwyneth will be famous even if she stopped blogging but all those other people will not. There are other differences too but those come because Gwyneth is an actress. If Goop were run by Stephanie Meyers or someone else not famous for their face, those differences would go away.

vCash
    love Emma, but she was so miscast that it wasn't even funny.
    Really? She's playing a rich daddy's girl who is always trying to give advice. I'd say she was perfect :p

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    Wait, Goop is a thing?
    goop is definitely a thing.

She wanted a word that included her initials and didn't really mean anything.

Er......

Right. The whole self-help, nutrition, etc. section at a book store is full of lay people giving advice based on their own personal experiences rather than from formal training. Many of them bestsellers.
    Many of them are also crap.

I will say this for Gwyneth--she says that she has a tremendous work ethic, and I believe it. She comes across to me as someone who works hard all the time, and not necessarily in a healthy way.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Oh, OH, OH!!!! Remember when she posted about having Billy Joel and his then-wife Katie Lee over for lunch? She called him "William". Made me wanna break out my designer barf bags made from organic monkey placentas .

Is there such a thing!? Just the thought seems like enuf to cause a hurl or two.

Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    I agree with antmanb. Her English accent was near perfect in Sliding Doors; only a tiny nuance here and there told me she was not born here.

Yep, I remember Emma too in which Gwyneth was quite good, especially her English accent. She was also very good in a small early role in the Meg Ryan, Dennis Quaid indie flick, Flesh and Bone. I seem to recall Gwyneth won award nominations for her performance in that film. Of course, GP was also fairly good with Brad, Morgan and Kevin Spacey in Se7en. Ending was way too eerie and barf-worthy (actually even the opening credits and the entire movie). Bounce with Ben did not ... so forgettable. SIL okay, but I just got the feeling of Gwynnie being sooo "Look at me, aren't I acting up a storm in this wonderful movie?" I enjoyed Ralph's brother Joseph more.

The whole Oscar anointing for her role in SIL was all about a throw-back to Days of Grace Kelly. Gwyneth looked awful in her pink Oscar dress and wanna-be Grace hairstyle. She could have looked much better just staying true to herself. The worst is that Gwyneth's acting career was a bit all downhill from there. IOW, she seemed to coast instead of challenging herself. But she's won her Oscar and she's happy, married with children, etc. She did have her share of rough times losing her Dad to cancer, and her life behind-the-scenes is surely not always the bed of roses that it seems. GP suffered post-partum depression after the birth of her son. She has spoken about how her break-up with Pitt and her Dad's death really changed her. Although, she seems kinda too sorry for herself re the quote: "I sort of feel like one of those people who was unfortunate and lost their father when they were 30, and life goes on. But he was so unique and so incredible." Some people unfortunately lose their fathers during childhood or teenage years, or in fact even before birth, so Gwyneth should feel lucky and thankful for what she had and still has re what she shared with her father well into adulthood.

Gwyneth's imdb profile notes that in October 1998 she was voted "Most Stuck-Up" by Movieline's "100 Most."
    Last edited by aftershocks; 03-28-2013 at 03:33 AM.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    I finally figured out who she reminds me of - Shelley Long's Diane Chambers character on "Cheers", without the wistfulness with which Ms. Long leavened Diane's insufferable haughtiness and pretentiousness.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Again, not her biggest fan or her fan at all (though more people should see "Possession", it was awesome), think the whole lifestyle-advice stuff is silly, but I think I'd cut her some slack on feeling sorry for herself that she lost her father. She LOST her FATHER. Doesn't matter if she's thirty or thirteen, it sucks and she (and anyone else) is entitled to some feeling sorry even if it comes across as faintly self-pitying. (I'm not a big fan of the "Your grandma/dog/BFF from kindergarten died and you're sad? My God, don't you know they're circumcising women in Africa, starving children in Haiti, and stoning gays in Iran? You're LUCKY!" kind of thing.)

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast