Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Interesting re: calcium. My cardiologist told me that taking the one 600 mg +D a day is fine. I don't take it 3 times a day as recommended on the label. And I have a genetic predisposition to build plaque. My Gyn had been on my case to take Fosamax or some generation of that. I can't due to stomach issues and lower mandible dental implants. Now with the information coming out about femur fractures caused by osteo bone builders, he has backed off. I have osteopina in my lower back and left hip. Due for a bone density scan, hopefully no change. But, I eat kale, power walk 3 miles a day lift weights and do Pilates 2 times a week. Having strong muscles supports the bones and makes them less fragile. And weight bearing exercise slows down bone loss. I have an echo/stress test on Monday, I think I'll ask my cardiologist about the calcium again, see if he's changed his mind. Keeping my fingers crossed that there is less fluid around my heart.

vCash
    It's funny you all mention weight lifting since Gwyneth's trainer/business partner Tracy Anderson is against women lifting anything heavier than 3 pounds. Her idea of toning arms is to do 100 reps with 3 pound weights.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yeah, well and look at Gwyneth. I have talked to someone who has an AMAZING body at 47. She told me to lift as much as I can. Tracy Anderson just doesn't want you to get too toned too fast lest you don't need her anymore.

I wonder how much Ashley Wagner lifts. I bet it's more than 3 lbs.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    It's funny you all mention weight lifting since Gwyneth's trainer/business partner Tracy Anderson is against women lifting anything heavier than 3 pounds. Her idea of toning arms is to do 100 reps with 3 pound weights.
    I use 2 ten lb. dumbbells and do 40 lbs. on a universal (type apparatus). Not sure what the weight equivalent is in Pilates resistance. But, my doctor has said that the best thing I can do for my bones is walk, walk, walk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Yeah, well and look at Gwyneth. I have talked to someone who has an AMAZING body at 47. She told me to lift as much as I can. Tracy Anderson just doesn't want you to get too toned too fast lest you don't need her anymore.

I wonder how much Ashley Wagner lifts. I bet it's more than 3 lbs.
    Exactly, I personally like doing circuits since it breaks up the monotony of a lot of the cardio machines. But there are a lot of trainers out there who are convinced that if any women lifts weights, they'd all look like Serena Williams.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I have to admit I don't do any cardio. I really should considering the amount of heart disease in my family but I hate it too much. Yeah, right, Serena Williams. I could never look like that no matter what I do.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Then you are better off getting your Ca++ from your diet and lifting weights. Again, talk to your doctor.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/5/1428.short
    Alf is obsessed with kale, so I eat that by association.

I saw that and I had to . You can see my arms in the pics I posted in the wedding thread. They are not bulky in the least - they are pretty damn toned!

That's from doing 50-lb overhead presses. (Squats and deadlifts will work your arms too, for sure!) I should be doing 100+ lbs overhead presses considering my lifting regimen, but my arms are weak. My friend who can do 200-lb deadlifts can only muster 50-lb overhead presses too, so it must be a female thing even if we're generally pretty strong.

Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I use 2 ten lb. dumbbells and do 40 lbs. on a universal (type apparatus). Not sure what the weight equivalent is in Pilates resistance. But, my doctor has said that the best thing I can do for my bones is walk, walk, walk.
    There was an NYTimes article that said jump roping seemed to be most helpful for pelvic bone density, which makes sense. It seems that whatever gets the most resistance or microdamage from physical activity, gets the most bone-building.

Well, my enjoyment of weightlifting is not only from the bone density thing, but also from my parents, who are also very skinny, telling me all my life that I am weak weak weak and unable to do anything by myself. Instead of doing drugs to act out, I weightlift. My mother doesn't believe I can lift 120 lbs. I bet my dad would still yell at me if I tried to lift a 20-lb bag of fertilizer.

vCash
    Here's Tracy and Gwyneth working out btw. I had to laugh at the part about starving because, isn't she doing that anyway?

http://youtu.be/vyvbm6qpQw4

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Anita, got any good kale recipes? All I know is garlic and olive oil.

As to jumping rope--what about your joints? Knees, hips? Not to mention your face (premature aging, anyone?). No high impact exercise for me.

Here's Tracy and Gwyneth working out btw. I had to laugh at the part about starving because, isn't she doing that anyway?

I would call this a waste of time. Ideally, I'd keep lifting weights and increase the weight and do cardio. But I hate cardio sooooooooo much. Ugh.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post

There was an NYTimes article that said jump roping seemed to be most helpful for pelvic bone density, which makes sense. It seems that whatever gets the most resistance or microdamage from physical activity, gets the most bone-building.
    I like Reformer/Jump board in Pilates. You get the benefit of jumping, but not the jarring. I honestly cannot say enough about how much Pilates has improved my lower back. I have had lumbar pain for years. Two months of pilates twice a week has basically given me a new spine.

vCash

As to jumping rope--what about your joints? Knees, hips? Not to mention your face (premature aging, anyone?). No high impact exercise for me.

I would call this a waste of time. Ideally, I'd keep lifting weights and increase the weight and do cardio. But I hate cardio sooooooooo much. Ugh.
    But wouldn't you believe, Gwyneth is now allowing us peasants the opportunity to have her body by opening up a chain of Tracy Anderson studios. For just 900/month, you too can experience Gwyneth's workout regime.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    a kale shake in the morning is super easy. i dont ever wake up hungry and would never eat breakfast but i can manage a shake.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    But wouldn't you believe, Gwyneth is now allowing us peasants the opportunity to have her body by opening up a chain of Tracy Anderson studios. For just 900/month, you too can experience Gwyneth's workout regime.
    No, thank you. I don't want to look like that. Now if Ashley shares her off-ice workout routine, she'd have my attention.

What's in the kale shake, mlp?

from Speedy Death

vCash

They both have the kind of cockroach-type body I have (wide torso, no hips, skinny limbs), which I am trying to change. Is that supposed to be the body du jour nowadays? I hang out online with a bunch of dudes, and they still all prefer the curves. -shrug-

Garlic and olive is what we usually do too. My friend sent me this, but I'm not sure if it's all that healthy compared to kale by itself.

In the same vein as jumping rope, running is tremendously bad for joints too, if you do it on the wrong surface. Dirt is great, concrete is horrible. So I think jumping lightly on grass or dirt would be a lot healthier than concrete. Not sure if swinging that rope would be impossible on grass, but yeah. They weren't recommending like, 30 minutes of jumping rope. Even the best athlete has a tough time with that! The article mentions they did the study with mice that hopped only 20-40 times a week. Not much at all. Most people could achieve that in less than a minute. I think your skin collagen would survive.

I hate cardio too, but I don't have history of heart disease. The weightlifting increases my heart rate (although not 20 minutes continuously), and I do walk a lot.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    it varies depending on what i have on hand. generally there is kale, parsley, cucumber, lemon, ginger and apple. but i improvise based on what i have. i am frequently without cucumber. i have the opposite of a sweet tooth. a lot of people prefer something sweeter so adding another fruit or substituting a fruit for the cucumber or even a little juice would work for them. sometimes i use fresh kale sometimes but i like the consistency i get with frozen kale.

i've also found that if i add some kale to my blueberry and coconut milk smoothie. the color is gross but you have to add a lot of kale to change the taste.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    So she's an idiot. Though the fact that she's so proud of Gwyneth's body already caused me to suspect that.

When I was doing strength training, I could deadlift 145 pounds and overhead press 45. And I only weighed 112. I thought that was pretty good. I had to stop before I could really progress though.

I have a lot of issues with that calcium study btw. I don't think it really proved that calcium supplements are harmful and most of the reason that they seem to be ineffective is that people are taking the wrong kind and not taking it properly (like too much at once). Osteoporosis runs in my family and I have medical issues that put me particularly at risk for it so I'm not going to stop taking them based on one study, let alone one study I have issues with.

OTOH I think it's silly to take supplements for no reason if your labs or medical history doesn't show you need them. So I don't think all women should be running around taking calcium if they don't have a medical reason to *and* they are getting adequate calcium in their diet. OTOH, many of us *aren't* getting adequate calcium in our diets AND many of us do have medical reasons to be concerned about whether we're getting enough calcium or to indicate we may need more calcium than average.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    So she's an idiot. Though the fact that she's so proud of Gwyneth's body already caused me to suspect that.

When I was doing strength training, I could deadlift 145 pounds and overhead press 45. And I only weighed 112. I thought that was pretty good. I had to stop before I could really progress though.
    :highfive: Anyone can lift that much if they worked toward it even a little bit. (Cause I mean, I only go once a week at best, and can squat more than my body weight and I started out using a broomstick, sooo...) It's just that most women think they'll get like Arnold if they lift like the guys do. We won't. We can't, without a lot of unnatural help.

Why did you have to stop?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    It's not just one one, MacMadame. I was able to found quite a few on just a cursory search. However, as usual, do what your doctor recommends.

Impressive weightlifting numbers!!

from Speedy Death

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post

Why did you have to stop?
    Head injury. I couldn't even listen to loud music for a while. Now I can swim, which isn't weight bearing at all. But I think I can start doing light strength training again as long as I don't go all Crossfit/met-con.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    That Gwynth work out is designed to keep a pencil thin body. When I walked like crazy (high reps / low weight bearing) people would make fun of my string bean chicken legs. Weight training does bulk me up more but I generally have a better body shape with it.
    What would Jenny do?

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast