Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

vCash
    I'm the opposite of you guys - I enjoy cardio but have to psych myself up for lifting weights. I got to spin class several times a week, and I love it. It doesn't hurt that it's set to music and I go with a few friends.

My friends and I though, are trying to tone our arms more, so we are starting to lift before we go to class. I really want more defined arms!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    No, thank you. I don't want to look like that. Now if Ashley shares her off-ice workout routine, she'd have my attention.
    I bet a lot of Ashley's tone comes not only from off-ice strength training, but also from the resistance training she's getting on ice. Pulling in on triples and in spins against gravity is a great workout!

Any trainer who tells you not to lift heavy weights because you might bulk up needs to be fired. That way of thinking went out in the 80's.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Head injury. I couldn't even listen to loud music for a while. Now I can swim, which isn't weight bearing at all. But I think I can start doing light strength training again as long as I don't go all Crossfit/met-con.
    Hah, the Crossfitters psych me out too! I like to lift heavy weights, but leisurely!

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    That Gwynth work out is designed to keep a pencil thin body. When I walked like crazy (high reps / low weight bearing) people would make fun of my string bean chicken legs. Weight training does bulk me up more but I generally have a better body shape with it.
    Pencil-thinness is mostly genetic. People used to ask me how I'm so thin, then they'd meet my parents and wouldn't ask anymore. I think Gwyneth is naturally thin (you can see it in her wrists), but her workout regimen just makes her cockroach-shape more prominent.

Weightlifting does bulk me up a little bit, but only in places where I'd bulk up naturally - I'm bottom heavy so the muscle has been building up on my hips and thighs, but my arms have barely changed.

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I'm the opposite of you guys - I enjoy cardio but have to psych myself up for lifting weights. I got to spin class several times a week, and I love it. It doesn't hurt that it's set to music and I go with a few friends.

My friends and I though, are trying to tone our arms more, so we are starting to lift before we go to class. I really want more defined arms!
    "More definition" comes with losing fat there. Weightlifting definitely doesn't hurt, and my Crossfit friends will swear up and down that lifting burns more calories over time than cardio anyway. But my arms have always been "defined" even when I didn't lift, because I simply don't gain weight up top. They're actually a teeny bit bigger now, but the definition hasn't changed much.

Ugh, spin class would be the 9th circle of hell for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Hah, the Crossfitters psych me out too! I like to lift heavy weights, but leisurely!

Pencil-thinness is mostly genetic. People used to ask me how I'm so thin, then they'd meet my parents and wouldn't ask anymore. I think Gwyneth is naturally thin (you can see it in her wrists), but her workout regimen just makes her cockroach-shape more prominent.

Weightlifting does bulk me up a little bit, but only in places where I'd bulk up naturally - I'm bottom heavy so the muscle has been building up on my hips and thighs, but my arms have barely changed.

"More definition" comes with losing fat there. Weightlifting definitely doesn't hurt, and my Crossfit friends will swear up and down that lifting burns more calories over time than cardio anyway. But my arms have always been "defined" even when I didn't lift, because I simply don't gain weight up top. They're actually a teeny bit bigger now, but the definition hasn't changed much.

Ugh, spin class would be the 9th circle of hell for me.
    I love doing circuits with cardio and strength mixed in. Of course, i want to hurl after the burpee reps, but its efficient.

vCash
    Gwyneth is skinny. That's about it. You can achieve that body type by starving yourself and moving about your day.

Personally, I want to be strong and fit. It looks and feels a lot better, IMO!

O-

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    I bet a lot of Ashley's tone comes not only from off-ice strength training, but also from the resistance training she's getting on ice. Pulling in on triples and in spins against gravity is a great workout!
    Skating is a good workout but she didn't get those arms skating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    Any trainer who tells you not to lift heavy weights because you might bulk up needs to be fired. That way of thinking went out in the 80's.
    So true. And yet Gwyneth et al keep paying Tracy Anderson for her BS.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Sorry for the double post but look, ladies what I found today on Yahoo: http://health.yahoo.net/articles/fit...rcises-women#0

I tried some of these this morning and they are not as easy as they look! I used 10 lbs dumbells but only because I've been using them for a while. Had to switch to 8 lbs for the exercise with the shrug. That one is tough.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    delete

from Speedy Death

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I use 2 ten lb. dumbbells and do 40 lbs. on a universal (type apparatus). Not sure what the weight equivalent is in Pilates resistance. But, my doctor has said that the best thing I can do for my bones is walk, walk, walk.
    That's funny. I just moved up to 10 lb dumbells and 40 lbs on the universal a few months ago. Now I feel like I'm somehow doing something right.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    I hired a personal trainer 2 weeks ago, and he figured out I enjoy lifting weights so he forces me to do Yoga and Pilates, which I find to be harder. He also knew intuitively which machines and exercises with free weights I detest, and also forces me to do those more intensely. It's paying off already, and my goal is to do unsupported pullups next month.

Jessica Biel is 1,000 times hotter than Lady Paltrow who strikes me as brittle and sexless. Amanda Seyfried is also much more of a beauty, and Halle Berry on a most beautiful list below G.P. is just a crime, even if she has won it before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    That's funny. I just moved up to 10 lb dumbells and 40 lbs on the universal a few months ago. Now I feel like I'm somehow doing something right.
    I think we are in synch! But, now you have to start taking Pilates . Seriously, my daughter got me to go. I figured I'd do one class to humor her. I have gone twice a week now, for about 2 months - I LOVE IT! I can't tell you how much stronger I am, how much better my posture is, how much better my back feels. I bought the spine corrector, so that I could do those moves at home. It was well worth the $199.00. Every Pilates class is about 50% different. It focuses on core strength, but also works other muscles you don't work in other more traditional exercise. I'm thinking of doing it 3 times a week.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Pilates is awesome!
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    When I had a personal trainer, she kept making me do different stuff, rotating exercises. I enjoy core/balance exercises, like standing on a balance board and catching a heavy (3-5 lbs) ball, the most. Though I have to force myself to exercise.

With Jessica Biel, she does look awesome, but she is also younger than Gwynth? Young skin helps a lot.

I'm personally impressed with Pink, she looks so fit.
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

vCash
    One of the most beautiful woman ever was Olivia Newton-John before the plastic surgeries. I think her face would have aged gracefully by itself too, but she had to go and messed it up.

GP has a J.Crew-ish appeal: outdoorsy and fresh-faced. (Well, she was fresh-faced in her 20s; Not so much anymore, LOL.)

Jessica Biel has a naturally athletic frame. That's just something she's born with, and of course, she works out to enhance it. But I don't Biel's face is particularly memorable.

Michelle Pfeiffer is still very pretty, although I'm sure she has had some work done to maintain it. She hasn't gone overboard with the cosmetic procedures, but one can tell that she had some work done.

Nicole Kidman ruins her face with the over Botoxing. She has claimed in the past to lay off the botox, but her current face is still pulled as tight as a baby's bottom.

vCash
    I was in the grocery store, and there was a huge photo of G.P.'s mug on the magazine rack. I finally figured out what she reminds me of: Papier mache. She looks so dry and lifeless, like a husk. Flat and one dimensional. She must be a nightmare to photograph.

That no underwear dress she's all butt hurt about sure is one ugly schmatta. Fire the sycophant stylist and shop for yourself at Carolina Herrera. Impossible to go wrong there.

vCash
    I think her best fashion statement was the Tom Ford, white ensemble, that she wore to the Oscars a year or two ago. That was beyond stunning. In spite of the fact that she was the one wearing it. I never understood why she got so much praise for the ill-fitting Ralph Lauren, pink dress she wore when she won her (undeserved) Oscar for Shakespeare in Love.

Watch me move
    vCash
    According to the PEOPLE article, Gwyneth doesn't read anything about her on the Internet because she doesn't pay any attention to what people who don't know her think of her.

Oh, and that $450K spring wardrobe? It was just meant as "inspiration". I am sure all the designers who gave their clothes to be publicized in that feature will really appreciate knowing that Gwynnie actually meant for the readers to run off and buy something else.....
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    According to the PEOPLE article, Gwyneth doesn't read anything about her on the Internet because she doesn't pay any attention to what people who don't know her think of her.
    Why would she care what we peons think? I sometimes wonder if she gets enough oxygen, with her nose so high up in the air. Maybe that's her problem .

vCash
    I think that's a fairly healthy attitude to take that all celebrities should subscribe to, but maybe that's just me.

I think Gwyneth is quite pretty, even beautiful at times. She isn't the prettiest actress in Hollywood, no, but I certainly don't think she's plain at all.

Did this become the fitness thread?...
    Last edited by michiruwater; 04-28-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Blergh
    vCash
    If I was her, I wouldn't read the crap people say about me either.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast