Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Again, not her biggest fan or her fan at all (though more people should see "Possession", it was awesome), think the whole lifestyle-advice stuff is silly, but I think I'd cut her some slack on feeling sorry for herself that she lost her father. She LOST her FATHER. Doesn't matter if she's thirty or thirteen, it sucks and she (and anyone else) is entitled to some feeling sorry even if it comes across as faintly self-pitying. (I'm not a big fan of the "Your grandma/dog/BFF from kindergarten died and you're sad? My God, don't you know they're circumcising women in Africa, starving children in Haiti, and stoning gays in Iran? You're LUCKY!" kind of thing.)
    Um, I wouldn't say that she is lucky because she isn't in Africa or whatever. But her dad died in 2003. There does come a point where people start wondering how long they are supposed to feel sorry for you and cut you some slack because you feel sorry for yourself.

And yes, I DO know what it's like, as I lost my father when I was just a little younger than she was, and my mother not too many years later.

She's also suffered from postpartum depression, something else I wouldn't wish on anyone, and I think it's kind of clear that she has some other emotional issues as well.

And I think that while she was born lucky, she's worked to make the most of that luck and done pretty well for herself on her own merits.

But she still comes across as being totally up her own ass.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Some people have never heard of Gwyneth Paltrow either. That's beside the point.
    Whole post.
    Agree to disagree, but I did find the eyeroll convincing!

O-

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Many of them are also crap.
    True. Also, true of many of the books written by so-called experts!

I just realized that I did something that happens to me a lot online. I get sucked into responding to a piece of someone else's argument that strikes me in some way without stepping back and looking at the big picture. When I do that, I realized I don't actually agree with the whole basic premise.

In this case, I don't actually agree that Gwyneth Paltrow has "hoards" of people "hanging on her every word." I do think some famous people do. I do think some people hang on Brad Pitt's every word and are influenced by which political candidates he supports. Same with Charleston Heston on the conservative side. There are people who eagerly look forward to what outfit Lady Gaga will come up with next and at one point little girls everywhere (and big ones too) were copying Madonna.

But Gwyneth? I'm sure she has her followers. But remember she started Goop herself. I've never actually seen an article about anything on that site that wasn't making fun of it. The designers send her stuff for this annual article because it gets a lot of publicity. Yes, it's negative publicity. But it's still attention and each one is probably sure that their outfit is the one we'll say "most of them suck but I love ______" about. Like Beckham's dress that so many of us liked.

But, for the most part, I don't think tons of people are lining up to buy Gwyneth's stuff. Does anyone know how many copies her first cookbook actually sold and how that compares to a typical celebrity cookbook?
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I've no idea who Charleston Heston is (is he a Dancing Fool? ), but Charlton Heston has been dead for about five years so I'd be very concerned about anyone hanging on to his every word still.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Again, not her biggest fan or her fan at all (though more people should see "Possession", it was awesome), think the whole lifestyle-advice stuff is silly, but I think I'd cut her some slack on feeling sorry for herself that she lost her father. She LOST her FATHER. Doesn't matter if she's thirty or thirteen, it sucks and she (and anyone else) is entitled to some feeling sorry even if it comes across as faintly self-pitying. (I'm not a big fan of the "Your grandma/dog/BFF from kindergarten died and you're sad? My God, don't you know they're circumcising women in Africa, starving children in Haiti, and stoning gays in Iran? You're LUCKY!" kind of thing.)
    That's true actually. But since my Dad passed away at age 45 when I was eighteen, I kinda envy that she had her Dad as long as she did. She got to know her father during her adulthood. It's an even huger inexpressible loss not to have had that. But of course it isn't cool to envy and to make comparisons. It hurts and its devastating to lose someone you are close to and who means the world to you, at any age.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 03-28-2013 at 10:52 AM.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    But, for the most part, I don't think tons of people are lining up to buy Gwyneth's stuff. Does anyone know how many copies her first cookbook actually sold and how that compares to a typical celebrity cookbook?
    I don't know about sales figures, but the first book was translated into several other languages and she has a second book coming out now, so it must have done well enough. She has a decent enough following on social media - not huge, but looks like enough to sustain the lifestyle brand she's trying to build.

As for bloggers, as you said earlier they can be very influential - more and more companies are finding that social media reaches a lot more people and lot more directly than traditional forms of publicity (like getting your product in a magazine), and they want to tap into the bloggers that have a following on their own or are connected to other groups through Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest etc. Even bloggers who have few followers can be useful if they have the right followers (and Gwyneth's are probably considered a pretty attractive demographic by certain brands), and if they are good at marketing themselves.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I've no idea who Charleston Heston is (is he a Dancing Fool? ), but Charlton Heston has been dead for about five years so I'd be very concerned about anyone hanging on to his every word still.
    Replace Charlton Heston with Clint Eastwood
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Love the red leather jacket, but it's $1995.00! Paltrow is a pretentious twit. I think her mother is charming. How did Princess Twit, become so obnoxious?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Really, people didn't think Gwyneth was a good Emma? I thought she was. And she was good in Possession too. And Shallow Hal. She is a good actress. I just wish she'd stop with the nutrition advice already. She can't even feed herself properly without becoming malnourished.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Really, people didn't think Gwyneth was a good Emma? I thought she was. And she was good in Possession too. And Shallow Hal. She is a good actress. I just wish she'd stop with the nutrition advice already. She can't even feed herself properly without becoming malnourished.
    I think she is stiff. But, I find it hard to appreciate an actor's ability, when I can't stand them as a person.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    Replace Charlton Heston with Clint Eastwood
    Oh, yeah, that's who I meant.

(What can I say... old those crusty old conservative actor guys kind of blend together for me. Heck, some of the young buck liberal actor guys do too.

Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Love the red leather jacket, but it's $1995.00! Paltrow is a pretentious twit. I think her mother is charming. How did Princess Twit, become so obnoxious?
    Because she was raised like a Princess? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I don't know about sales figures, but the first book was translated into several other languages and she has a second book coming out now, so it must have done well enough. She has a decent enough following on social media - not huge, but looks like enough to sustain the lifestyle brand she's trying to build.
    That's my impression. She's got a following but nothing huge.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    goop is definitely a thing.

She wanted a word that included her initials and didn't really mean anything.
    Hmmm...Wouldn't her initials be GKPM? Did she change her name to Gynneth Ophelia Oma...? Paltrow or something?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    Hmmm...Wouldn't her initials be GKPM? Did she change her name to Gynneth Ophelia Oma...? Paltrow or something?
    Gwyneth Ostentatiously Obnoxious Paltrow?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I think she is stiff. But, I find it hard to appreciate an actor's ability, when I can't stand them as a person.
    Oh I am good at that. Two words: Sean Penn.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Oh I am good at that. Two words: Sean Penn.
    Oh, he is so humorless and a bit of a rage-a-holic. And clearly, his liberalism didn't rub off on his son, but his hair-trigger temper did when he was recently heard and seen shouting the N-and-F words to a photographer.

Guess he left his son something .

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Oh, he is so humorless and a bit of a rage-a-holic. And clearly, his liberalism didn't rub off on his son, but his hair-trigger temper did when he was recently heard and seen shouting the N-and-F words to a photographer.

Guess he left his son something .
    Sean Penn is certainly mentally disturbed in many aspects. I didn't realize this before, but apparently he was physically abusive towards Madonna when they were married. I thought he mellowed out when he was married to Robin Wright, but it seems like she had to escape too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Sean Penn is certainly mentally disturbed in many aspects. I didn't realize this before, but apparently he was physically abusive towards Madonna when they were married. I thought he mellowed out when he was married to Robin Wright, but it seems like she had to escape too.
    I read where he beat up on Robin as well. Dude has anger issues. Serious ones.

vCash
    Review/feature piece about Gwyneth's new cookbook. Those Millet Fig Muffins sound awful.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    She should include a recipe for TwitTwat bars, the candy for pretentious people.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Review/feature piece about Gwyneth's new cookbook. Those Millet Fig Muffins sound awful.
    Yuck. Why do people buy her cookbooks?

from Speedy Death

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast