Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Question How much to spend on a baby shower gift at work?

Need some opinions.

A guy in my dept. is expecting his first baby in Sep. We are at the same level but he does not interact with me or my team much so I don't know him well. I admit I am late to the game and now the only items on the registry are either $14.99 or over $60. I believe $15 is a little cheap. But $60 is a bit too much in my opinion for someone I only casually spoke to once. Not to mention there will be at least 3 more babies in the dept. in the next 6 months, I don't want to set too high a precedence.

What would you do? I am leaning toward getting him something off the registry, in the $20 to $30 range. Does it sound ok? Or should I stick with the registry?

Any feedback is highly appreciated!

vCash
    I think the $20-30 range is very acceptable for someone you are not close to, or even high, depending on what you can afford. Yes the registry is nice/convenient, but there are lots of things babies/new parents need that are much more affordable that they will be glad to receive, even if they did not register. Or maybe a gift card for the store for an amount you can afford, or maybe go in with some coworkers for one of the items on the registry.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i dont think 15 is cheap for someone you barely know. 20 is more than sufficient. imagine getting 20 from everyone you barely know
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    I don't think $15 is cheap either. It it was your best friend since grade school, maybe. Not for an office worker you don't really interact with. If you go to a discount store you can probably get a couple baby outfits for $15. Baby gotta get his clothes changed several times a day, so I don't think there's anything wrong with some sale item newborn outfits and so what if they ain't on the list. The last work baby shower I bought a gift for I got the cutest little bunny onesies at Kohl's that were on sale. I got 4 of them for $20.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    $15 is plenty to spend on someone you've talked to once at work. I would be surprised to get any gift at all from someone in that position.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    $15 sounds fine to me. I find I now always buy books for baby gifts. They are unisex and you can never have too many. I can't stand all the badly written Disney crap out there so I tend to go with books like Barnyard Dance or Moo Baa La La La by Sandra Boynton ( https://www.google.ca/search?q=sandr...&client=safari ) Stellaluna ( http://www.amazon.ca/Stellaluna-Jane.../dp/0152062874 ) or Mr. Got To Go ( http://www.amazon.com/Mister-Got-To-.../dp/0889951578 )
    You can order them on line and they are reasonably priced.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    I like the books idea, and mag's suggestions. You could also get him a gift card at a baby store, for the things he didn't know he would need and forgot to put on the registry.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Onesies and/or side-snap t-shirts and/or sleepers (all 3-6 month or 6-9 month sizes rather than newborn), diapers, and receiving blankets are pretty much my go-to baby shower presents.

Most people give cute outfits. You get way too many cute outfits and not nearly enough of the stuff you actually need, IME.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    You could also go in with a couple people on a bigger gift. At my work baby shower, mostly everyone went together on gifts. A bunch of people went together and got me gift cards, and then individually got me books, which was nice. If you are buying clothes, I recommend the 6-9 months size. I also ended up with way more blankets that I could ever use. Oddly, we have a drawer full of beautiful hand made blankets that I don't know what to do with!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    $15 sounds fine to me. I find I now always buy books for baby gifts. They are unisex and you can never have too many. I can't stand all the badly written Disney crap out there so I tend to go with books like Barnyard Dance or Moo Baa La La La by Sandra Boynton ( https://www.google.ca/search?q=sandr...&client=safari ) Stellaluna ( http://www.amazon.ca/Stellaluna-Jane.../dp/0152062874 ) or Mr. Got To Go ( http://www.amazon.com/Mister-Got-To-.../dp/0889951578 )
    You can order them on line and they are reasonably priced.
    I do books too - love Sandra Boynton. I think $15 is generous. I can never afford expensive gifts for anything and usually limit myself to $10. I look on clearance and sale tables and do OK.

vCash
    I work in a book store, so I always suggest books for baby showers!

Some people specifically hold book showers where everyone buys a book and is asked to write a nice little verse or congrats inside the front cover. This eliminates the need for a card, and the givers name is always with the gift.

(beware duplications though, as once written in, it cannot be returned!)

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I think $15 is a lot of money to give to someone who probably doesn't know anything about you outside of the office.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Tranquillo
    vCash
    In our office we take up a collection and give one aggregate gift card . Most people contribute a couple dollars although close friends or the heads of the dept may contribute more. Frankly, if I were him, I wouldn't expect a gift from someone at work that I didn't know well. I think $15 is more than generous in this situation and I think you should do only what you're comfortable with (particularly since it sounds like there are more gifts to come for others in the group).
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    I work in a book store, so I always suggest books for baby showers!

Some people specifically hold book showers where everyone buys a book and is asked to write a nice little verse or congrats inside the front cover. This eliminates the need for a card, and the givers name is always with the gift.

(beware duplications though, as once written in, it cannot be returned!)
    I often give books for baby showers/baby gifts. As an add on to something else or a pack of books by themselves. Particularly for second/third babies as many people have a good stock of other items then. We gave books--one nice picture book and a variety of board books-- and a stuffed animal that went with one to a couple of my husband's friends for a first baby because of their outlandish registry and knowing the mother would find anything in our price range not good enough. We have since found out that those are the only books the child, now 3, has.

vCash
    The first thing that occurred to me is that the registry is something that his wife assembled. It's not his list. Don't feel bound to it.
    Books that dad can read to the baby are what came to mind. See if you can find out more about him. Does he like cars? Is he into sports? I'd get a baby book that related to one of dad's interests.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I don't think $15 is cheap at all, particularly since you barely know this guy. It would be more than sufficient, IMO. However, if you want to stretch it to $20 you can, but I won't go beyond that.

I think it's perfectly OK to buy something that is not on the registry- e.g. a baby blanket, booties, clothes, bibs, etc. Those things can be always used. I also like Aceon6's idea of buying a baby book that Dad can read to his son/daughter.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I think $15 is a lot of money to give to someone who probably doesn't know anything about you outside of the office.
    ita. i dont know how big genegri's office is but my office is pretty big. i stopped donating to everything. after i turned 30 i decided i was never going to do anything i didnt want to do ever again.

but back to the OP, there was a work shower once where almost every single person brought diapers and the girl was THRILLED. she said it was so much better than her family shower where they brought her cute crap.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Also chiming in that a $15 gift is a nice gesture to someone you don't know so well. Of course, if you choose something for $20-30 on your own, that's fine too.

vCash
    Chiming in as a new mom - books, diapers and sleepers were among the best gifts I received. Gift cards are handy to pick up things the parents may have forgotten about. And certainly, $15 isn't cheap if it's someone you barely know.

One more suggestion: NO BLANKETS. I have more baby blankets, quilts and afghans than I know what to do with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    In our office we take up a collection and give one aggregate gift card . Most people contribute a couple dollars although close friends or the heads of the dept may contribute more. Frankly, if I were him, I wouldn't expect a gift from someone at work that I didn't know well. I think $15 is more than generous in this situation and I think you should do only what you're comfortable with (particularly since it sounds like there are more gifts to come for others in the group).
    My company does something similar. People contribute and then the company matches up to a certain amount. This is done for female employees having their first baby or their first baby while employed at the company. When one of the guys has a kid, the company sends flowers.

They do the same sort of collection when any employee gets married.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast