vCash

haircutter vs catchfoot layback

people seem to be really inconsistent in labeling/calling these two moves out, and often they seem to be mistaken for each other, so I'm really confused

am i correct in assuming that the haircutter just has the foot extended higher up beside the head (not over it like a biellman), whereas the catchfoot layback has the foot below the head? google images seems really inconsistent with this move

on a side note: the pearl just seems to be a catchfoot layback with the legs straightened out more so it's like a biellman but in a layback position? a lot of people are inconsistent about this as well. I've seen mirai nagasu's catchfoot layback labelled a pearl spin even though the leg isn't straightened out

AHH!!
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 03-22-2013 at 09:33 PM.

vCash
    I think your description of the pearl spin as a lay-back in the Biellman position is a good description.

Irina has one of the best catch foot. I think the term catch-foot and hair-cutter is interchangeable. I mean Irina definitely could've cut her hair with her blade while in the catch-foot position.

vCash
    Your descriptions are good. To me, the hair cutter has the blade near the head, potentially "cutting" the hair. The pearl, the head is near the knee, because like a biellman, the leg is extended.

A catch foot layback is any position laid back holding the foot. So this could be either of the above moves, but so could other laybacks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    people seem to be really inconsistent in labeling/calling these two moves out, and often they seem to be mistaken for each other, so I'm really confused

am i correct in assuming that the haircutter just has the foot extended higher up beside the head (not over it like a biellman), whereas the catchfoot layback has the foot below the head? google images seems really inconsistent with this move

on a side note: the pearl just seems to be a catchfoot layback with the legs straightened out more so it's like a biellman but in a layback position? a lot of people are inconsistent about this as well. I've seen mirai nagasu's catchfoot layback labelled a pearl spin even though the leg isn't straightened out

AHH!!
    Didn't Dick Button unfortunately contribute to the semantics issues with this? He seemed unprepared for the proliferation of catch foot moves, so sometimes he would search a bit.

vCash
    Skittl1321's definitions are great.

Technically, a "haircutter" in which the skater simply grabs the free leg and raises the blade to head level isn't a difficult variation of a layback position. In order to get it called as a difficult variation, there should be additional bend in the core. This is one of the calls that frequently falls into the gray zone; some callers are very picky about the "change in core;" others will award it based on flexibility alone.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I think your description of the pearl spin as a lay-back in the Biellman position is a good description.
    I miss The Pearl. A thing of beauty.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Thanks for all of the feedback you guys!

What confuses me is that there are a variety of very similar moves

like akiko's catchfoot right here (notice how the leg is brought up higher in the end than with say..mirai's)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STyh8j0Urhw#t=4m46s

this would qualify as a haircutter too wouldn't it? carolina does sth similar
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 03-23-2013 at 12:25 AM.