View Poll Results: Which reigning world champion was the biggest favorite to lose the Olympic gold medal

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brian Orser 1988

11 4.58%
  • Kurt Browning 1992

49 20.42%
  • Kurt Browning 1994

20 8.33%
  • Elvis Stojko 1998

9 3.75%
  • Evgeni Plushenko 2002

6 2.50%
  • Irina Slutskaya 2006

63 26.25%
  • Michelle Kwan 2002

82 34.17%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I am surprised by how many people voted that Slutskaya was the biggest favorite. Favored by whom? She lost the 2005-2006 GPF and nobody in the English speaking world liked her except for Louis.
    If not Slutskaya, then who? Sasha had a history of inconsistent skating with no World titles and one National title (with an absent Kwan). Shizuka was bugged with inconsistent results in the two seasons following her Worlds win in 2004 (heck she was inconsistent that season and every other as well). Fumie was fresh off a Japanese Nationals win, but she failed to qualify for the GPF and did not medal at the past two Worlds. Miki started the season strong, but had horrible nationals and was seen to be as more of a wildcard in Torino. Carolina Kostner was the hometown girl and had a great Europeans, but again, inconsistent. Elena Sokolova had a strong Europeans, but I wouldn't say she was a favorite going into Torino.

Slutskaya was the only one to show some semblance of domination and the perception was that COP was tailor-made for her.

vCash
    I too think 1998 Kwan is a much better choice than 2002 Kwan. In 1998 Kwan was considered invincible after her Nationals win (remember Christine Brennan claiming that it was Michelle vs. Michelle, and not Michelle vs. anyone else?) In 2002 Michelle really was not a favorite - Slutskaya was skating far better that season, even with her relative weakness at the GPF and loss at Europeans.

2006 Slutskaya was also an upset, but I wouldn't have been surprised if Cohen could beat Slutskaya if she skated well (as she did in the SP, and deservedly so).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    If not Slutskaya, then who? Sasha had a history of inconsistent skating with no World titles and one National title (with an absent Kwan). Shizuka was bugged with inconsistent results in the two seasons following her Worlds win in 2004 (heck she was inconsistent that season and every other as well). Fumie was fresh off a Japanese Nationals win, but she failed to qualify for the GPF and did not medal at the past two Worlds. Miki started the season strong, but had horrible nationals and was seen to be as more of a wildcard in Torino. Carolina Kostner was the hometown girl and had a great Europeans, but again, inconsistent. Elena Sokolova had a strong Europeans, but I wouldn't say she was a favorite going into Torino.

Slutskaya was the only one to show some semblance of domination and the perception was that COP was tailor-made for her.
    Yeah I guess that's logical. I see her as less of a favorite than Browning '92 because many vociferous fans did not want her to win, and she lost the GPF. Browning in '92 was not only expected to win, but a large number of fans in different nations worshiped him. Slutskaya's bielmans, in the English speaking nations, were the focus of much hostility.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 05-27-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shady82 View Post
    I wouldn't have been surprised if Cohen could beat Slutskaya if she skated well (as she did in the SP, and deservedly so).
    A margin of 0.03 makes the "deservedly so" a bit redundant.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    are we talking of the biggest choke ? Michelle Kwan
    If we talk about Fluke Mistakes , Irina Slutskaya
    I don't think Michelle "choked" any worse than Irina. All either of them had to do was skate a solid 6 triple long program with no 3/3 and neither of them could do it. So not sure how one is a choke and one is not. Irina always lost championships due to sloppy mistakes so again, not sure how you could consider her skate a fluke.

I would say Irina also choked in 2006.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    I don't think Michelle "choked" any worse than Irina. All either of them had to do was skate a solid 6 triple long program with no 3/3 and neither of them could do it. So not sure how one is a choke and one is not. Irina always lost championships due to sloppy mistakes so again, not sure how you could consider her skate a fluke.

I would say Irina also choked in 2006.
    Irina in 2006 choked more than Kwan in 2002. I say this because Irina had fewer outside obstacles. Slutskaya knew she would accumulate Bielman points and GOE even without a 3-3. Kwan was in a bind. There was a 3-3 expectation that none of the ladies in Salt Lake City could ignore. I don't think either Kwan or Slutskaya in 2002 had a clear path to victory without throwing risky jump content. This showed in their performances. I believe Kwan could have won anyway with a clean 5 triple program with a nailed 3Lz at the end if she had emphasized artistry and superior choreography. She did not. She needed John Nicks or a Tarasova to sell her that season. I will never understand the thinking behind that year. She was young and needed shrewder guidance than Frank and Danny. She was far better than her detractors.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 05-28-2013 at 01:19 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234