View Poll Results: Which reigning world champion was the biggest favorite to lose the Olympic gold medal

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brian Orser 1988

11 4.58%
  • Kurt Browning 1992

49 20.42%
  • Kurt Browning 1994

20 8.33%
  • Elvis Stojko 1998

9 3.75%
  • Evgeni Plushenko 2002

6 2.50%
  • Irina Slutskaya 2006

63 26.25%
  • Michelle Kwan 2002

82 34.17%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Which reigning world champion who was the BIGGEST favorite to win OGM lost the gold?

Reigning world champions are usually the favorites to win the Olympic Gold Medal. Some are heavy favorites, but there are many instances of a heavy favorite not winning the OGM. Which world champion was the biggest favorite at the Olympics but did not win the gold? (Meaning the biggest surprise/biggest shock/biggest disappointment, etc.)

Correction: Should be Michelle Kwan in 2002 (not 1998- she was not the reigning world champion in 1998)

Is it possible to correct this in the poll?
    Last edited by Vash01; 03-22-2013 at 06:37 AM.

vCash
    Michelle Kwan in 2002 was such a shock. But of course, she lost Skate Canada to Sarah Hughes and Irina Slutskaya and she didn't have a coach anymore. So...

Kurt Browning in 1992 was really a shock, because I didn't know he was injured before.

vCash
    ??? Michelle wasn't the reigning champion in 1998! and yet so many ppl voted for her, understandably

vCash
    Slutskaya in 2006 IMO. I think the feeling 3 or 4 months from the Games atleast was that she was a mortal lock. Even at the Games itself it didnt feel like anyone there was a threat to her with Asada out of the Games, be it Cohen, the Japanese, Kwan (had she been able to skate).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvster View Post
    ??? Michelle wasn't the reigning champion in 1998! and yet so many ppl voted for her, understandably
    That's what Vash wrote in the first post. It's Michelle in 2002.

vCash
    I dont see how Michelle in 2002 would be the best choice. She had lost most of her head to head meetings with Slutskaya the last 2+ years, even though she had beaten her at Worlds two years in a row. She had not won the short program at a Worlds since 1998. She was even starting to be challenged by Hughes that season, and Butyrskaya and Cohen were both capable of springing an upset on a given day too. At most she was only the very slight favorite, no more.

1998 would have been a bigger upset. Yes she wasnt the reigning World Champion, but she was a much heavier favorite than she was in 2002. However given the thread title I guess that makes her in 1998 ineligible.

Slutskaya in 2006 is still my choice though (wouldnt have been if Asada had been in the Games). I really didnt see anyone in the field to challenge her before the Games started. Not any of the Japanese (with Asada out). Not Cohen who had never won a major title, still had consistency issues, and rarely ever beat Slutskaya. Not Kwan had she even competed. I was quite shocked she lost.

Browning in 1992? Wasnt really surprised he didnt win. Petrenko was virtually equal with him even at full strength, and he had been injured all year.

Browning in 1994? Had a bad year leading up to the Games including losing his Canadian title where he was only 4th in the short program. Wasnt injured like 92 but motivation seemed waning. Maybe was the still the favorite, but not an overwhelming one especialy with Petrenko, Stojko, Boitano all there too.

Stojko in 1998? Again wasnt the huge favorite, had lost the GP final to Kulik, had been 4th after the short program the previous year at Worlds, and was challengable by all of Kulik, Eldredge, and young Yagudin.

Plushenko in 2002? Wasnt even the favorite at all over Yagudin probably after losing to him at the GP final, Yagudin winning Europeans while Plushenko pulled out injured and was still injured going into the Games, and Yagudin had many more World titles that quad anyway and only lost Worlds with an injury of his own.

Orser in 1988 would be my 2nd choice after Slutskaya in 2006. Was pretty surprising IMO he lost there as he had generally dominated Boitano except for one bad free skate at the 86 Worlds. I know Boitano had improved alot that year but that improvement hadnt helped him not be beaten easily by Orser at Skate Canada that very season.

vCash
    I agree about Irina being a huge favorite in 2006, but I think Kurt in 1992 was a heavy favorite too, being the 3x world champion. Petrenko was challenging him but he had not beaten Browning. I did not know about Kurt's injury, and even if I did, in my mind at least he would have still been the favorite. Browning was always "a big game skater" in Hamilton's words, so his earlier losses did not bother me at all. The big three- Boitano, Browning, Peterenko- were expected to dominate the younger skaters. Boitano was considered a bigger favorite, but as the reigning world champion, especially with his Casablanca LP, was expected to give Browning an artistic edge.

Plushenko before the 2002 GPF had beaten Yagudin many times, and his loss at the GPF was surprising to many. It was really a toss up between the two, before the Olympics started, because of the GPF results. Otherwise he would have been a big favorite over Yags. He actually skated a different LP (Carmen) after that, and it was very good. It was the SP that led to his defeat. IMO Yagudin would have still won the OGM but it would have been a closer competition (and I wish it had been; I saw it live in the arena- SP & LP, and must count my lucky stars).

Despite his solo world title, Orser was considered a big favorite over Boitano because of his artistry. Unfortunately for him, that time the technical marks were the tie breaker, or he would have won the OGM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I dont see how Michelle in 2002 would be the best choice. She had lost most of her head to head meetings with Slutskaya the last 2+ years, even though she had beaten her at Worlds two years in a row. She had not won the short program at a Worlds since 1998. She was even starting to be challenged by Hughes that season, and Butyrskaya and Cohen were both capable of springing an upset on a given day too. At most she was only the very slight favorite, no more.
    Agreed. B/c she was the world champ she came in with a slight edge but SLC was supposed to be a showdown b/w Michelle and Irina. Both faltered and Sarah (and all of her under-rotations) swooped and snatched the medal right from under both of them. Talk about the stars aligning...Luckiest OGM in history! There was no way on this earth that ever would have happened had Irina and Michelle been on their game that night...

vCash
    Geez, this feels like one of those sneaky tests in high school where you were supposed to read all of it before answering anything, LOL. I mistakenly picked Kwan also thinking 2002. For this poll, my choice would be Browning 1992, what a heartbreaker.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    I have to say Irina because she was doing remarkly well during the GP series. Sure she lost the GPF to Asada, but she was throwing 7 triples program in COR and almost crack 200 points. But this the reality of skating as even a few weeks, let alone months can throw you off the game.

vCash
    I really felt Slutskaya was a heavy favourite in 06. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, the only loss she'd had since 04 worlds was in the GPF, right? Other than that she won all her GPs, Euros and worlds in 05, and won her GPs and Euros in 05/06 too. I really felt the OGM was hers to lose. Not only was she so very consistent, she seemed to have COP worked out, more than anyone else. In my mind at least, she was unbeatable.

Slutskaya/Cohen seemed out of Arakawa's reach. She'd been 3rd in both her GPs, failed to reach the GPF, 3rd at Nats and was 3rd in the SP. I kinda thought she was destined to be 3rd here too After her LP, I was thrilled, because I thought she'd be 2nd having gone ahead of Cohen.

I was watching Slutskaya. It's amazing (and a shame) how sloppy she was, given her great form of the previous eighteen months. In fact, I've often wondered what happened to Irina in Torino. Was it pressure? Did she peak too soon? I wonder....
    Last edited by Loves_Shizuka; 03-22-2013 at 10:40 PM.

vCash
    I think it was a combination of:

1. The altitude in Turin is very high. Not good for the type of illness she still had.
    2. She was a bit thrown off by not winning the short program by a large margin as she had all season. She might not have been mentally prepared for it. I dont blame her for being surprised, she had already scored a 70 in the short program that year, and everyone elses scores were escalating at the Games, yet she scores 4 points lower.
    3. The pressure of winning the OGM, the only thing that had eluded her, and knowing it was her last chance.
    4. Losing the GP final to Asada hurt her confidence when she had been on such a roll until then, and even knowing Mao wasnt at the Games.
    5. The cummulative effects of dealing with such a serious illness, even though she had it under control, her energy was probably zapped by then after 15 months of non stop competing and training. Adrenalaine had gotten her through until then.

vCash
    I dont see how Michelle in 2002 would be the best choice. She had lost most of her head to head meetings with Slutskaya the last 2+ years, even though she had beaten her at Worlds two years in a row.
    Yeah, Kwan is one of my all-time favorites but I didn't think she'd win in 2002. By 2002 Kwan needed to be perfect and Slute needed to make mistakes for Kwan to win. I felt like either Slute would finally skate a clean long program when it counted or Kwan would finally make a mistake. I did not feel hopeful about her chances.

And to the person who said Hughes was the luckiest gold medallist ever. That's a bit unfair. Yes, she had luck but she also needed to deliver a great long program which she did it. Good for her. She needed more than just luck.

For instance I think Slute would have won worlds in 2000 if she'd done just one 3-3 and she would have also won in 2001 if she'd not been sloppy, but Kwan still delivered when it counted and to call her wins lucky would be equally insulting! The same goes for Yamaguchi in 1992 and to many others to name.

vCash
    Hughes lucky in 2002? IMO yes and no. She had been a consistent top 3 finisher for almost 2 years, and had closed the gap on Kwan and Slutskaya that season. When you have consistency going for you like she does, you are bound to at some point come out on top. On the other hand her short program was really mediocre and should have been lower than 4th and she was lucky it wasnt.

vCash
    A lot of options are good but none so good as browning 1992! Victor flopped near the end of his programs and there was just barely anyone else. You had stojko and Urmanov but there just wasn't anybody else.

vCash
    Slutskaya in 2006 IMO. I think the feeling 3 or 4 months from the Games atleast was that she was a mortal lock. Even at the Games itself it didnt feel like anyone there was a threat to her with Asada out of the Games, be it Cohen, the Japanese, Kwan (had she been able to skate).
    I voted Slutskaya for the same reason. Leading up to Torino she had the same aura of invinciblity Kwan had after Nagano up to the 1999 Worlds. Even after Asada broke that aura at the 05-06 GPF, it was by someone who was not eligible for the Olympics, so Irina was still the overwhelming favorite.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I would say Kwan is a much bigger loser than Slutskaya.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I voted for Kurt in '94, although I don't know if that was the right choice after reading other responses. I was so young then that I forgot he lost his Canadian title and struggled leading up to the Games.

Orser in '88 had such a close rivalry with Boitano that really, either of them could have won and it wouldn't have been a surprise. In '92, it wasn't a given that Kurt would win, Petrenko was about an equal contender. Elvis wasn't seen as invincible in '98 either as he had been off the world podium in '96. Yagudin was really the favourite in 2002, IMO. I always thought that Cohen could challenge Slutskaya in 2006 (didn't really think of Arakawa much lol) and Slutskaya could challenge Kwan in 2002 (didn't expect Sarah Hughes to win!).

vCash
    I am surprised how few votes there are for Orser in 88 and to a lesser extent Browning in 94. Orser in 88 was the clear favorite going in. I think hindsight and how legendary Boitano has become makes people forget that. He certainly was more favored than Kwan in 2002, Stojko in 1998, or Plushenko in 2002 by a good margin. Boitano winning wasnt a huge upset but he was the definite underdog facing reigning World Champion Orser in his home country, and having last easily to Orser their last 2 confrontations, including when he unveiled the new Boitano package at Skate Canada that season. The only time Boitano had beaten Orser that I know of in the past 5 years or so was Worlds 86 when Orser had a very bad LP. Orser in 88 should have more votes than just 5 IMO.

Browning in 94 has way fewer votes than Browning in 92, yet Browning in 94 was healthy and much more artistically developed than the Browning of 92 who had to outjump his competitors to win, and he was facing essentialy the exact same field minus a few skaters and plus an old Boitano who certainly was not favored more than Browning.

vCash
    I voted for Orser. Sandra Bezic's choreography was the difference IMO in turning Boitano into an Olympic gold medalist. It was such a close competition. A true heartbreak for Orser.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast