View Poll Results: Could Shen & Zhao have won another gold in Sochi had they come back

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, and probably would have

3 6.38%
  • could have, but probably wouldnt have

9 19.15%
  • no way, too old at this point, Russians too tough to beat at home

35 74.47%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Could Shen & Zhao have won another Olympic Gold had they come back

I know they arent coming back but could the amazing Shen & Zhao have won the Olympics in Sochi and another Gold had they returned. I think they probably would have.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    I think their bodies, his especially, would not allow it. Too many injuries, too many years. I think it's completely unrealistic to think they could come back, let alone win another OGM.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Returning in 2010 to win OGM after time off, injury and at their age, was an incredible feat. I don't think they have ever given it a thought to return in 2014. It's time to move on ... whilst they are still healthy. There's more to life than just winning sport medals.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    They probably shouldn't have even won in Vancouver. Pang and Tong got held down. No way they'd beat Volosozhar and Trankov in Russia. Also, the sport has moved on to the point where they'd be able to contend for the bronze. Too many difficult lift positions for them to learn in a season.

vCash
    I think they deserved their OGM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I think they deserved their OGM.
    They deserved it for their amazing careers and legacy, but did they deserve it that night? Questionable. Pang & Tong did win the LP, and deservedly so, and had they gotten even close to their Worlds SP score or about the same SP score as Kavaguti & Smirnov's 3rd placed SP they would have won the gold. Except for a 1 point time deduction Pang & Tong skated the exact same SP as they would at Worlds a month later, where the scoring was generally lower, and amazingly scored a whopping 4 points lower. Also in Vancouver they and K&S both do clean shorts and P&T are way back of them, yet at Worlds again both do clean shorts and P&T are a couple points behind. Something fishy to put it mildly.

Anyway to the thread question not a chance. They would have been fighting for bronze if they came back now. However they were never going to so it is a stupid question anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    They deserved it for their amazing careers and legacy, but did they deserve it that night? Questionable.
    I have immense respect for Shen/Zhao but, in my opinion, Pang/Tong wuzrobbed in Vancouver.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Something fishy to put it mildly.
    It's fishy because it is not the result you think it should be, as usual.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    It's fishy because it is not the result you think it should be, as usual.
    I dont even care about Pang & Tong so there is no reason I would be bothered by the result. I am just pointing out the obvious that their short program score, especialy given the scoring of Worlds only a month later, was very strange.

Anyway another annoying dufus to add to my ignore list it looks like.

vCash
    I don't think anyone ever cared about what places Pang and Tong received. My concern for Pang is about her health. I have great respect for them, but is it wise to continue pairs this long? And is she eating?
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 05-26-2013 at 08:38 AM.

vCash
    S/S barely won in Vancouver! They showed how to win with a sp in cop. Tough to see them being capable of being near medal position 4 years after they almost lost their "locked" gold.

vCash
    Oh lord.

vCash
    I just saw that Zhao Hong would be 40 at the time of Sochi. Since he had problems with sit spins at 28, they would have some real issues today. Knees and backs don't get younger.

vCash
    Only if he wanted to be in a wheelchair

vCash
    Another useless poll. Shen/ Zhao were never planning to come back for yet another Olympics, and they might not have come back in 2010 had they won gold in 2006. Three Olympics is more than a crowning achievement, IMO. Isn't it enough to just make a thread to discuss what a marvelous and exciting pair Shen/ Zhao are and the wonderful inspirational magical connection they have together on the ice? And to revisit some of their amazing programs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cz6r2XE8N0 Worlds 2003 lp

a better copy perhaps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFOsLcJkHeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67ct3fxSbdk Worlds 2002 sp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRfNDX3kI GPF 2004 lp Nutcracker soooo inspirational

As far as I'm concerned, Shen/Zhao deserved to win OGM in 2006 and 2010. Plus, they should be given more credit re their 2002 run for Olympic glory -- SLC for pairs unfortunately is always a running commentary about Sale/ Pelletier and Berezhnaya/ Sikharidlidze and the scandal. (Fortunately in the book, The Second Mark, Shen/ Zhao are given equal ink to the other two top pairs).

Alas, Zhao's injury and limited training time (plus Totmianina/ Marinin being a favored Russian pair during Olympic season) were obstacles they weren't able to overcome in 2006. In 2010, Shen/ Zhao were favored and they were still good, although I don't think S/Z were quite as strong overall being on the downside of their careers. Being favored politically during 2010 Olympic season helped them. ITA with skateboy that Pang/ Tong stole the show at 2010 Olympics, even from Savchenko/ Szolkowy.

IMO, it's mainly too bad that Savchenko/ Szolkowy have never been political favorites. They've earned everything they've won by dint of their huge talent and creativity.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 05-26-2013 at 04:44 PM.

vCash
    Should have won gold in 2006? I hope you dont mean with their performances in 2006 they should have been judged the winners.

vCash
    ^^ No, as I said obviously Shen/ Zhao were not at full strength then due to limited training time after Zhao's injury. I meant in terms of their talent and their stature as heirs apparent after 2002 Olympics, they should have won. That's the thing about life and figure skating -- luck of the draw and too many factors are involved for expectations and predictions to have any bearing.

Of course S/Z's latter day rivals, Totmianina/ Marinin, had superior line and all that Russian tradition -- T/M just totally lacked emotion and a magical connection. T/M could never match this kind of excitement and spine-tingling skating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRfNDX3kI

vCash
    I agree with you on Totmianina & Marinin. They were excellent technically (apart from their lifts and twist), and had very good basic skating and line, but they lacked emotion, chemistry, and pure excitement value. Even so they were always a threat to S&Z in the 2003-2006, even when S&Z were healthy, purely due to their consistency. When S&Z made any mistakes T&M were right there to capatilize.

I agree with you also S&Z wouldnt have even come back for 2010 had they won in 2006. Maybe the Germans would have had a much better season then, and they themselves might not even be around now had they won in 2010. Most likely as well T&M would have stayed in for 2010 had they not won in 2006. How would T&M have matched up to the Germans. So many what ifs.

vCash
    They deserved it for their amazing careers and legacy, but did they deserve it that night? Questionable. Pang & Tong did win the LP, and deservedly so, and had they gotten even close to their Worlds SP score or about the same SP score as Kavaguti & Smirnov's 3rd placed SP they would have won the gold. Except for a 1 point time deduction Pang & Tong skated the exact same SP as they would at Worlds a month later, where the scoring was generally lower, and amazingly scored a whopping 4 points lower. Also in Vancouver they and K&S both do clean shorts and P&T are way back of them, yet at Worlds again both do clean shorts and P&T are a couple points behind. Something fishy to put it mildly.

Anyway to the thread question not a chance. They would have been fighting for bronze if they came back now. However they were never going to so it is a stupid question anyway.
    I always thought it was suspicious Pang/Tong were scored so low for their 2010 Olympic sp, it was clear that the top 2 were S/Z and S/S out in front with K/S following close behind (which personally I would have P/T just as high if not higher than K/S), giving P/T the overall gold. However, S/Z is one of my favourite teams of all time, and I agree with you that they deserved it for their career and legacy they left behind.

O and even if they come back now, I'm quite certain that if both V/T, S/S, and S/Z skate cleanly and their best in Sochi, the order of the podium will be V/T, S/S, and S/Z.

vCash
    I agree with you on Totmianina & Marinin. They were excellent technically (apart from their lifts and twist), and had very good basic skating and line, but they lacked emotion, chemistry, and pure excitement value. Even so they were always a threat to S&Z in the 2003-2006, even when S&Z were healthy, purely due to their consistency. When S&Z made any mistakes T&M were right there to capatilize.

I agree with you also S&Z wouldnt have even come back for 2010 had they won in 2006. Maybe the Germans would have had a much better season then, and they themselves might not even be around now had they won in 2010. Most likely as well T&M would have stayed in for 2010 had they not won in 2006. How would T&M have matched up to the Germans. So many what ifs.
    Good points. But as far as any decent Russian pair matching up to anybody, the top Russian pair will generally be favored regardless of whether they are better in all aspects. Perhaps that's because so much credit and tradition in pairs skating is given over to the Russian aesthetic.

I like the fact that Shen/ Zhao, Sale/ Pelletier, and Savchenko/ Szolkowy have added a special spark and difference to pairs skating that goes against the Russian-aesthetic grain and yet these teams managed to prevail on many occasions. I'm not saying the Russians don't deserve credit, especially the great ones who contributed so much to pairs skating, but too often some of the more boring lacking in emotion Russian pairs, albeit aesthetically pleasing teams, are given too much credit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast