Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    How has no one mentioned Johnny Weir yet?

Forget Pluschenko, Moir, Chan and the rest of those who actually have titles to back up any perceived ego they have and look at the guy who thinks figure skating needs him to bring back viewers.

Has to be one of the most egotistical skaters out there.

vCash
    lauravvv, I think we've been talking exactly about egoism? And, IMO, confidence and egoism go hand in hand in the most cases, but I do agree that arrogance is not the same. The problem is that often it's hard to tell one from the other.

Banned Member
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    How has no one mentioned Johnny Weir yet?

Forget Pluschenko, Moir, Chan and the rest of those who actually have titles to back up any perceived ego they have and look at the guy who thinks figure skating needs him to bring back viewers.

Has to be one of the most egotistical skaters out there.
    hes an american skater thefore he cannot be egotistical am i right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knigolubka View Post
    lauravvv, I think we've been talking exactly about egoism? And, IMO, confidence and egoism go hand in hand in most cases, but I do agree tat arrogance is not the same. Th problem is that often it's hard to tellone from the other.
    This is very true, though. For me, a dose of arrogance is not bad at all. Sure, I don't condone anyone insulting a fellow competitor. But it is okay for me that they spoke freely about their talent and why they think that sets them apart from the competition. It might not sit well with others, but I like that attitude. As long as it is done without insulting anyone, I think it is fair game. I mean, when Federer was number one, he would say: "They have to play their best to beat me." And, hey, that was (and even today, is) true. He's not insulting anyone, he's simply stating a fact. Many people hate that. I, on the contrary, hate it when Nadal, after beating Federer 6-3 and 2 says: "He's clearly better than me." That's not humility. Anyway, I went a bit off-topic there, sorry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowkisses View Post
    hes an american skater thefore he cannot be egotistical am i right?
    For the record, the following skaters have exhibited behavior or have given statements that tend to cause me to think that they may have over-active egos (what some might call "arrogance"): Lysacek, Plushenko, Weir, Chan, Moir, and Gracie Gold.

vCash
    Wait, what did Gold say? I missed that one.

BTW, this doesn't mean agree about the others being egomaniacs, I am just curious about what she she said that might be perceived as egotistical.

Banned Member
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by just tuned in View Post
    For the record, the following skaters have exhibited behavior or have given statements that tend to cause me to think that they may have over-active egos (what some might call "arrogance"): Lysacek, Plushenko, Weir, Chan, Moir, and Gracie Gold.
    i didn't know Gracie identifies as a man now

vCash
    Well, she jumps better than quite a few senior men!
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Has someone told Max Aaron?

vCash
    I think those who are saying Scott Moir, Evgeni Plushenko, and Patrick Chan are humble have a vastly different definition of humility than I do.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    I think those who are saying Scott Moir, Evgeni Plushenko, and Patrick Chan are humble have a vastly different definition of humility than I do.
    or you know, they just know the skater more than you do.

vCash
    Does this mean the three spots are off?

vCash
    it is indeed refreshing to have someone speak their honest opinion compared to people who fake humility. I think those who fake humility are the worst.
    Scott has a lot faults but i don't think being egotistical is one of them
    But honestly, I don't understand how some people can hate someone so irrationally up to the point they block everyone whose opinion goes against theirs

and yes I have to admit Scott comment's did rub me the wrong way at gpf but when i saw ice, sweat and tears i realized that his comments have been twisted and taken out of context by the media. in his case, tone matters a lot. and like I said before, I have next met an egotistical person who can make jokes about themselves/laugh at themselves. egotistical people don't do that.
    Ok, question: how do you know he didn't "fake humility", as you say, in that "ice, sweat and tears" (whatever that is)? How do you know if those reactions of his, which have made a lot of people assume he has an oversized ego, were not the sincere, true reactions and whatever different side of Scott you saw in some kind of a staged program was?

Also, I actually think a big ego helps in making jokes about yourself. You're just that sure of yourself you can afford it. Notice how insecure people never make such jokes.

Yes, that is true that the media can twist one's words or create the false image - but taken the media aside, Scott just does not come across as a nice person when you meet him. He's definitely not the kind of person you wanna approach and talk to.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    Ok, question: how do you know he didn't "fake humility", as you say, in that "ice, sweat and tears" (whatever that is)? How do you know if those reactions of his, which have made a lot of people assume he has an oversized ego, were not the sincere, true reactions and whatever different side of Scott you saw in some kind of a staged program was?

Also, I actually think a big ego helps in making jokes about yourself. You're just that sure of yourself you can afford it. Notice how insecure people never make such jokes.

Yes, that is true that the media can twist one's words or create the false image - but taken the media aside, Scott just does not come across as a nice person when you meet him. He's definitely not the kind of person you wanna approach and talk to.
    it shows you didn't watch the documentary because you're not making any sense. Also it depends on what kind of jokes. I know plenty of insecure people who make jokes about themselves (the kind of jokes in which one brings themselves down. for example when an insecure person says something they're not sure of to another person and a person looks at them weirdly, they would usually joke about what they said to get the approval from that other person)
    and FYI you're talking to someone who has met him once 3 years. he wasn't the type of unapproachable person you make him out to be. in fact he seemed very overwhelmed (and hyperactive)

vCash
    One thing I've learned is that you can't really gauge what a person is like from TV (though I used to think you could)--or even necessarily reputation. In general, it can take years to get to know someone, such that you could state with a reasonable amount of certainty the largeness, smallness, etc., of their ego. So, you would either have to have known that person for years, or need to get this information from someone else who has. Appearances can definitely be deceiving.

vCash
    Funny to see so many people list Boitano as not having a big ego. I guess I feel the opposite. In nearly every interview he brings up 1988. Even when he was asked about Christopher Bowman's death the day after it happened, he ended up reminiscing about winning the 88 Olympics. But maybe that makes him self-centered more than having a big ego. For the record, big egos don't bother me, even Boitano's whom I love. I think athletes need to have bigger egos if they want to succeed on a big scale.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Funny to see so many people list Boitano as not having a big ego. I guess I feel the opposite. In nearly every interview he brings up 1988. Even when he was asked about Christopher Bowman's death the day after it happened, he ended up reminiscing about winning the 88 Olympics. But maybe that makes him self-centered more than having a big ego. For the record, big egos don't bother me, even Boitano's whom I love. I think athletes need to have bigger egos if they want to succeed on a big scale.
    Didn't he bring up the 88 Oly because it was Christopher who had told him that he had won and Chris was a known prankster?

vCash
    and FYI you're talking to someone who has met him once 3 years. he wasn't the type of unapproachable person you make him out to be. in fact he seemed very overwhelmed (and hyperactive)
    proof or it didn't happen

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    unlike that other person i have proof
    although to you guys it probably wont be enough

vCash
    Oh my turn!
    I have a cousin, whose neighbors, best friends, sisters, hairdresser says that Fabian Bourzat, Charlie White, Luca Lanotte and Scott Moir are all equally douchy

'We never see other people anyway, only the monsters we make of them'-Colson Whitehead

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast