vCash

older/oldest skating videos in "HD"?

"HD" may be relative here, but I made this thread because of a surprising find. Mind you, I might just be totally ignorant to the world of high quality skating videos out there

I've found that even "official" televised re-broadcasts of old skating performances tend to look so dark, dull and grainy (for videos even as late as the mid 90's)..but recently I found this video of Michelle Kwan's 2002 Olympics exhibition in glorious HD D:

Is 2002 the earliest we can find skating videos with such beautiful quality?!? It's so crisp, the colors so vibrant. This seems to be from a Japanese broadcast, if that makes any difference..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1r9u8ye8ME
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 03-21-2013 at 09:13 PM.

vCash
    Some people posted HD vids of ' 90s competition as well, mostly on fsvids.net website.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    but recently I found this video of Michelle Kwan's 2002 Olympics exhibition in glorious HD D:

Is 2002 the earliest we can find skating videos with such beautiful quality?!? It's so crisp, the colors so vibrant. This seems to be from a Japanese broadcast, if that makes any difference..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1r9u8ye8ME
    I'm not surprised the 2002 HD exists. NBC did broadcast in HD in 2002 on special HD channels. Since NBC had the world feed, I'm guessing the Japanese broadcast you found was from some HD aware person who recorded it.

I found out about the HD broadcast after the Olympics were over. I have looked ever since to find someone who recorded the channel here in the USA. Apparently NBC broadcast all the figure skating competitions in their entirety with no commentary and no commercials.

Congratulations on finding the the HD program.

vCash