Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Re-posting from the Japan skating news thread in GSD:
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    Akiko Suzuki tells a story with her skating
    http://www.absoluteskating.com/inter...ikosuzuki.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thank you for the great article Sylvia! Akiko was marvelous at Skate Canada and brought tears to my eyes. That's hard to come by lately in figure skating.

POTO is really growing on me, but I still think O is her signature piece. On the other hand, I can't think of any better way for Akiko to retire from competitive ice than to skate the last 10 seconds of her Phantom FS and blow a kiss farewell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Thank you for the great article Sylvia! Akiko was marvelous at Skate Canada and brought tears to my eyes. That's hard to come by lately in figure skating.

POTO is really growing on me, but I still think O is her signature piece. On the other hand, I can't think of any better way for Akiko to retire from competitive ice than to skate the last 10 seconds of her Phantom FS and blow a kiss farewell
    She really touches the soul like no one else can

vCash
    Hello Akiko fans. I have never been to an Akiko thread before and I thought I should visit and just say that I saw her at Skate Canada a few weeks ago and she was amazing. I cried. I have always loved her but what a privilege to see her live. She skates with pure joy. Thank you

vCash
    Here is Akiko's exhibition from NHK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUWH9BawwlQ

This particular skate is very emotional, her body and especially facial expression in the back half are a very heart-rending but beautiful. After she finishes it is apparent that she was very emotional and gave it her all. This program goes everywhere emotionally, from serene beauty, to uplifting charisma, to gut-wrenching sadness.

She really moved me here, as much as ever. I hope others can see this performance the same way.

vCash
    http://youtu.be/QVgLvbzDQsM

WOW. Congrats to Akiko on her first national title!! She was simply spectacular

vCash
    I am so happy for Akiko. She is my favorite of all the ladies. She skates with soul and interprets the music with every fiber of her being. That is such a rare thing in today's skating.

vCash
    Congrats to Akiko on her win at the Japanese nationals. I hope the international judges will now give her the marks she deserves.

vCash
    I am over the moon for her. She was incredible! Perhaps my favorite lady competitor for Sochi!

vCash
    Congrats to Akiko! Happy she could win Nationals title!

vCash
    I've literally been crying all morning, congratulations Akiko! One of the best freeskates of all time! And it appears her mother was watching on from the crowd (I'm assuming from the broadcast). I'm very happy for her.

What an inspiration as a person, skater, and performer.

vCash
    To say that I'm happy is not even close. I am so over the moon for her.
    I really hope she gets a medal in Sochi.

vCash
    With performances like these, the sky is the limit. The judges sent her the message with her Skate Canada FS scores with a very marred program.

vCash
    To win so convincingly and with the audience in her hand - what a tribute, and so deserved. Brava, Akiko! You are a great champagne, aged to perfection!

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    I need to share my Akiko sap story and this seems like the right place to do it.

I'm an adult skater and managed to tear my ACL, MCL and meniscus while skiing on Xmas eve in 2010. It took a while before I came to terms with how long I'd need to be off ice and even that it might never happen again. This made it harder to watch all events that happened in early 2011, even more so since Akiko was one of my favorite skaters and she ended up not making the Worlds team that year. And then, I saw this exhibition she did in Nagoya http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTJV00JXerI#t=9m56s. Knowing she must have been disappointed not to go to Worlds and not having the best season, she still came out and radiated pure joy. She somehow transcends PCS requirements even in her competitive programs sometimes (not an easy feat), but seeing that happen at a time when I wasn't even sure I could watch skating for a while served as a perfect reminder that the right performance could make you fall in love with skating all over again. And she's been the IT skater in ladies since then as far as I'm concerned.

vCash
    I didn't know it was this possible to be so happy for someone I don't know and will likely never meet. I'm so proud of Akiko and so thrilled at her National title!!! If this really is her last season competing, what a way to go out! Here's hoping against hope she goes just as clean in Sochi and something even better happens (due to the fickleness of the Skate Gods, I won't say what that is).

I was in tears the last 30 seconds of her program...I don't think that's happened since the Kween.

vCash
    OMG, I love Akiko! She is so expressive that I get chills when I watch her performances.
    I'm sooooo happy for her!!!

vCash
    Akiko makes COP skating look as if it is not skating-by-the-numbers. That is a feat in itself. She has been one of my favorite ladies skaters since I, like most, saw her burst onto the scene in the Fall of 2009 and knocking down all the barriers by making the Olympic team. She's my sentimental favorite and I would love nothing more than to see an Olympic medal around her neck and more importantly, showing the whole world an even better performance than here so the Olympic audiences (live and through television/internet) can fall in love with her skating.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Congratulations to win Japan Nationals!! Wheeee
    I loved both of the programs.
    Akiko is a pure magic.
    I'm gutsy enough to expect a medal in Sochi.

vCash
    Congratulations to Akiko ! Two truly beautiful and gold medal deserving skates.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast