View Poll Results: Which of these 3 figure skating 'comebacks' was the most impressive?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kim Yu-Na

73 44.24%
  • Ekaterina Gordeeva & Sergei Grinkov

60 36.36%
  • Evgeni Plushenko

32 19.39%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Gee, anyone who likes Yuna is a "bot", that is just rubbish and the ravings of jealous fans of other skaters. The degree to which fans support their favorite skater(s) reflects how much those skaters enhance the lives of their fans. IT IS A TRIBUTE to a skater the more their fans love them. So any fan labeled a "bot" should feel good about it, it is a complement to them and to the skater(s) they love to watch.

vCash
    For me G&G was so impressive given their time away from the ice, Katia having a baby and Russia changing so much in those years. But I thought M/D had the better performance and program that year, so I really couldn't vote for G&G.

Shen&Zhao were also super impressive, especially given his age and the fact that he was skating on a reconstructed heel . They would have easily been my pick, except that Pang&Tong outskated them IMO, at the Olympics. I was happy S&Z won, I like them so much better than P&T, but I kind of thought P&T should have won given what was put on the ice. So I couldn't pick S&Z.

I voted for Yu Na Kim. In the few years she was out, Carolina really upped the ante on presentation, Mao came back resurgent and joyous, and several young skaters mastered the more difficult 3-3s that were Kim's calling card. And yet she came back with a perfect and seamless competition, totally outdistancing the competition by over 20 pts. If judged under 6.0, her Worlds performance would have won all 9 judges, and even those who don't particularily like her are likely to admit she was the clear winner. There wasn't really anything another skater could do to match that, I was so impressed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Like Kim, S&Z took a year off, that's all. Not really a comeback in the true sense.
    They took two years off. They won 2007 Worlds and the next time they were heard of in a competitive context was when the 2009 GP assignments were announced - IIRC, it was quite a surprise as they had not been discussing that possibility beforehand. And they were both in their 30s by then.

I voted for Plushenko, but G/G's comeback was also impressive, amd I agree that Slutskaya should be on the list. She did not compete for at least a year, during which time she had a serious medical condition, then came back and had a great season in 2004-5. And while on the subject of comebacks from injury, Takahashi's 2009-10 season was also a good one - from a torn ACL in late 2008 to an Olympic medal and World title, that's quite an accomplishment.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 03-22-2013 at 01:32 PM.

vCash
    I voted for Plushenko though I am a Yunabot.
    Both Plushenko's 2010 and 2012 comebacks were impressive & touching(2012 Euros)!

After hearing Yuna's saying she is very painful physically rebuilding from ground zero (in last year October interview), I fell into more awe & respect for Plushenko who was 3.5 years away from competition and had age, surgery issue etc.
    Last edited by EricRohmer; 03-23-2013 at 01:23 PM.

vCash
    I voted Gordeeva & Grinkov. Although they dominated the World from 86-90 they came back a much better team, especialy as far as their artistic depth and amazing connection and on ice chemistry. They skated flawlessly in all events that season, and were the undisputed winners, except for the Olympics where they were a bit shaky and slightly more debated against silver medalists Miskutienok & Dmitriev who skated unbelievably well. The rest of that season they completely owned and were looked even more in a class by themselves than they ever had before.

Kim would have been my choice if G&G werent. I didnt choose her in part as her first comeback for the 2011 Worlds was quite a bit more mediocre.

Plushenko? Given his age and physical abilities his comeback in 2009-2010 and his latest one are respectable enough, but not tops on this list. Given his age and physical condition they are as good as could be hoped probably though.

Shen & Zhou would have not been my choice even had they been on the list. They really had no competition with Savchenko & Szolkowy in a major slump that season, and won the Olympics with a subpar performance that any of the top 4 would have beaten with a clean skate. As it was Pang & Tong should have won the Olympic Gold as their SP score at Worlds would have done it, and they scored 4 points higher in their SP at Worlds (where scoring was generally lower for all the other pairs for comparable skates) for exactly the same skate minus the 1 minute time deduction.

vCash
    Gordeeva/Grinkov.

For second, it’s a tough choice between Plushy and Yu-Na (I’m a Plushy fan and a Yu-Na bot). I would give a nod to Yu-Na since she came back in a relatively more dominant form.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    (I’m...... a Yu-Na bot).
    Surely not? A Yu-Na bot? I must say I find that very hard to believe. I think you're just trying to pull our collective leg.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    ^^

?? Sure, I’ve been a certified Yu-Na bot for almost a decade! It has little to do with my choice re this poll.

I reiterate: 1 G/G; 2 Yu-Na; 3 Plushy.

vCash
    G&G

vCash
    You left out the most obvious answer, Torvill & Dean. These folks had not competed in a decade and came back to win an Olympic medal (and placing 1st in the OD). Seriously awesome.

Of the choices you gave, I would have to say Gordeeva & Grinkov. They had not competed since 1990 Worlds, she had had a baby, and they still came back for the 93-94 season to win another OGM. Plushenko gets consideration because he had taken a similar amount of time off plus had some surgeries, and still won an Olympic medal. IMO, Kim should be nowhere in this question because she only missed one Worlds. It can't really be much of a "comeback" if you've hardly been gone. I think I'd list Witt's 94 comeback (final flight at the Olympics after 5 seasons away) as more impressive than that.
    Last edited by Susan M; 04-10-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post

I don't think T/D's comeback was that bad, since they won an Olympic bronze and the European Championships that year.
    Yes, especially since there are those who would argue they were robbed/politicked, rather than performed badly (heck, their 'comeback' OD is one of the best of all time.)

Of the choices offered, G&G, easily, as they came back, as noted, from pro touring and a BABY and won an OGM. Yuna took some time off, Plushenko...well, it's gonna be a success if he can make it through the Olympics without permanently crippling himself.

vCash
    God Yu Na Kim has become the new Michelle Kwan on this forum. It seems she cant lose any poll. Next thing there will be a poll most beautiful spiral sequence and layback spin ever or best feet ever and Yu Na Kim will win those too, LOL!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    IMO, Kim should be nowhere in this question because she only missed one Worlds.
    But this Worlds was 'just' Yuna's 4th competition after the Olympics season. (2011 Worlds, 2012-12 NRW, 2013-01 Nationals, 2013 Worlds)
    So, even if Yuna's comeback is not a real comeback, it is an almost comeback.
    What get used to competitions physically & mentally is just as important as what is in shape.

That said, I think the skater who seems to be most difficult to get back into top form but succeeded is...
    1. Plushenko (long break, old age, surgeries) > 2. Gordeeva (long break, childbirth) > ...
    Last edited by EricRohmer; 04-11-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12