View Poll Results: Which of these 3 figure skating 'comebacks' was the most impressive?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kim Yu-Na

73 44.24%
  • Ekaterina Gordeeva & Sergei Grinkov

60 36.36%
  • Evgeni Plushenko

32 19.39%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Which of these 3 figure skating 'comebacks' was the most impressive?

It is normally the case that when figure skaters attempt a comeback after a long period away from the sport, that they fail. The reasons are usually that the sport has moved on in various ways, that standards have improved, and that their own skating prowess has diminished with age, time, and lack of practice during the intervening years. Injuries also cause problems

The list of skating comeback failures is a long one: For example, at the 1994 Olympics, Brian Boitano, Katarina Witt, and Torvill and Dean all failed to repeat previous Olympic success. Elaine Zayak, at 1994 U.S. Nationals, failed to even qualify for the 1994 Olympics, and Sasha Cohen failed at the 2010 U.S. Nationals, to qualify for the 2010 Olympics. The comebacks of Evan Lysacek and Johnny Weir have yet to take off due to injury problems

However, there are some exceptions to the general trend. Notable amongst them are:

Kim Yu-Na: Came back to win the 2013 World title. Prior to this, her only major competition since winning the 2010 Olympics, had been the 2011 World Championships in which she finished a very close 2nd to Miki Ando

2013 World Championships: Short Program, Free Skate

Gordeeva & Grinkov: They retired at the end of the 1989/90 season, but made a comeback for the 1993/94 season in which they regained the Olympic title (they also won Skate Canada and the European Championships during the season)

1994 Olympics: Short Program, Free Skate

Evgeni Plushenko: Incredibly, at the age of almost 30, and with injury issues, he came back after 2 years away to win the 2012 European Championships (and prior to his 2009/10 comeback, he had been away for 4 years). Injury problems have since hampered his progress, although his aim remains to compete at the 2014 Olympics in his home country.

2012 European Championships: Short Program, Free Skate

There have been other successful comebacks from retirement, injuries, and other problems, etc. Which have impressed you and why?

The common theme amongst those who have made a successful comeback, is that they were exceptional skaters who managed to remain competitive. So, which of these 3 successful comebacks has been the most impressive?
    Last edited by Maofan7; 03-21-2013 at 05:31 AM.

vCash
    gordeeva/grinkov @ the olympics

but I'd also include irina slutskaya's phenomenal performances at the 2005 world championships. she had come back after being sick (her mother had been severely sick as well), yet managed to skate the best performance of her entire career to a roaring home crowd

i can't even imagine the amount of pressure
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 03-20-2013 at 11:43 PM.

vCash
    Yu-Na Kim. She was technically so solid in both the SP and LP.

I agree with Irina's being very memorable. I also like Elaine Zayak's comeback in 94 and Natalia & Artur in 92.

vCash
    G/G, since they managed to win another Olympic gold. But if Yu-Na wins another gold in 2014, which looks likely, hers will be better. G/G's 1994 LP at the Olympics was flawed. I thought Plushenko's real comeback was when he came back in 2010, although I guess his 2012 one could be called a comeback.

I don't think T/D's comeback was that bad, since they won an Olympic bronze and the European Championships that year.

vCash
    Hey.. no one yet mentioned Shen and Zhao. I'm surprised. That was pretty awesome (in 2010).

vCash
    Yuna basically took a year off. I wouldn't call that a comeback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Yuna basically took a year off. I wouldn't call that a comeback.
    Almost three years, actually. Her appearance at 2011 Worlds was the only one that season, and she wasn't really "there" so to speak. The NRW Trophy last December and Korean Nats in January were just warm-ups.

vCash
    Of those listed, I'd say G&G. I'd also add S&Z to the list, especially considering Zhao's injury.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleWallie View Post
    Almost three years, actually. Her appearance at 2011 Worlds was the only one that season, and she wasn't really "there" so to speak. The NRW Trophy last December and Korean Nats in January were just warm-ups.
    still, she was training during that year for worlds , and commenced training again the beginning of this season, so thats really only a year out of training. I would only consider something a "comeback" after several seasons of training at a competitive level. Just my two cents.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Chen Lu

vCash
    Not a Plushy uber, but his Euro comeback was very impressive. I voted for him.

I think of Elaine Zayak's comeback, after 10 years, as a success. She made it clear that she wasn't doing it to go to the Olympics, but for herself. She also said that if she had managed to qualify for the Olympics, she would give up her spot.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    still, she was training during that year for worlds , and commenced training again the beginning of this season, so thats really only a year out of training. I would only consider something a "comeback" after several seasons of training at a competitive level. Just my two cents.
    Personally, I think only competition counts when considering the length of absence from the sport. Training without competition doesn't really count because competition is more a mental test than it is physical, whereas training is all physical.

vCash
    Yuna was never out of shape though. Plushy went from sitting on the couch eating pizza and drinking beer to medaling at the Olympics. That gets harder and harder to snap back into shape as you get older.

vCash
    Tanja Szewczenko

vCash
    One of the most impressive comebacks: Plushenko (I voted for him in this poll). He had not competed in over 3.5 years. He skated in the Olympics and narrowly missed the OGM. During this time he underwent multiple surgeries due to injuries.

Another comeback worth mentioning is- Irina Slutskaya, after a serious heart condition she returned to competition and placed in top 10. The following year she won almost every competition she entered, and won the 2005 world championship.

G&G made a comeback after being away from eligible skating for 6 years, and they were better than before. That was impressive.

I don't see Yu na's comeback as a real comeback, compared to some other skaters. She had not been away from competition that long. She only missed the 2011-2012 season. This year she did compete in lesser competitions. Winning worlds was impressive, but not really a comeback.
    Last edited by Vash01; 03-22-2013 at 06:26 AM. Reason: corrected typos

vCash
    Probably, the mass votes by Yunabots strongly influence the results here, and her comeback is now "the most impressive" since it happened just a week ago.

But I say Plushenko's comeback in 2010 (not 2012) was the most impressive because he didn't compete since early 2006 and he was already 26 or 27 at the time.

vCash
    Yuna was never out of shape though. Plushy went from sitting on the couch eating pizza and drinking beer to medaling at the Olympics. That gets harder and harder to snap back into shape as you get older.
    That's all I wanted to say Pizza, alcohol, lesser training once or twice a week - were what made him so fat

Until late 2009 when he finally had succeeded at dieting, I really had never thought that he can be back in the competition.
    Last edited by Glacier cat; 03-22-2013 at 02:08 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    Of those listed, I'd say G&G. I'd also add S&Z to the list, especially considering Zhao's injury.
    Like Kim, S&Z took a year off, that's all. Not really a comeback in the true sense.

vCash
    Yuna while impressive was only away for about 2 years plus she's still in the prime of her career in terms of her age.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Another comeback worth mentioning is- Irina Slutskaya, after a serious heart condition she returned to competition and placed in top 10. The following year she won almost every competition she entered, and won the 2005 world championship.

I don't see Yu na's comeback as a real comeback, compared to some other skaters. She had not been away from competition that long. She only missed the 2011-2012 season. This year she did compete in lesser competitions. Winning worlds was impressive, but not really a comeback.
    I don't understand what is a true comeback.
    How being away from training for few month due to injury or sickness is more of a comeback than being away from competition for 1 complete year ?

Another funny thing is to consider that it's more impressive to come back after eating pizzas and drinking alcohol. But really, what is the most impressive : comeback after eating pizzas or never succumbing to temptation ?

My vote goes to G&G. Years off + baby + comeback better : impressive !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast