Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ma Brnice Mit

vCash

Ma Brnice Mit

Ma Brnice Mit had her best worlds outing in London by finishing 11th (she was 13th in 2011). It was not good enough to get France two spots, and I am interested in what her future prospects are.

She has improved her PCS scores by around 5-6 points since 2011 (for whatever the numbers are worth). What do you think about her steps, spins, and transitions? Can she improve the quality of her skating, or is she fated to be just a big jumper?

Will she be a lock to represent France in the 2014 Olympics? Or is Yrtha Silt a possible rival if she recovers?

vCash
    I also question Mae's capacity to improve on the components aspect. She has improved and is young, so all hopes are allowed. She should work very hard on components and train under a dance coach during an intensive dance training. Yrethee has better potential in the components area IMO, if she can land the jumps as well as Mae I believe she can be selected. But we shouldn't forget other French girls who are strong technically and can improve very fast for next season.

vCash
    Mit is more consistent, while Silt probably has a higher ceiling for what she can do. That said, coming back from the sort of injury Yretha sustained is not easy; look at Takahashi for a comparison, and I think her injury was possibly even more severe. So my guess is that Mit will be the frontrunner for the Olympic assignment, but they'll probably look at results from all of next season and decide only after Euros.

I like both ladies, and hope they can both have greater success in the future.

vCash
    Meite could do with improving quite a few aspects of her skating, but there's something really watchable about her IMO.

What about Lecavelier? Or Gilleron-Gorry? What are their chances?

FWIW I'd love Meite or Silete to make to it.
    Last edited by Loves_Shizuka; 03-20-2013 at 03:03 PM.

vCash
    France needs to get over trying to clone a Surya bonaly
    skaters must have their own style

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    I hope they do not see this as the strategy, but it would not surprise me. I think Ma Brnice has her own style that could be good if she sold it, but she needs to become more aware of it.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 03-20-2013 at 04:44 PM.

vCash

Clara Peters

deleted ... lol... this is what happens when you post from your iPhone. meant to be a new thread.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 03-20-2013 at 04:57 PM.

vCash
    Did she meet the minimums?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I hope they do not see this as the strategy, but it would not surprise me. I think Ma Brnice has her own style that could be good if she sold it, but she needs to become more aware of it.
    Compared to the other senior ladies, they've actually tried many different styles with Meite in both the short and long programs (1940s jazz/big band, Northern African, Spanish, orchestral movie soundtrack), possibly hoping they find the vehicle that will get very positive response.

Interestingly, Meite still has yet to win the National title (4 silvers and 1 bronze). I expect French ladies to be very competitive for the 1 Olympic spot (Lenaelle Gilleron-Gorry actually placed ahead of Meite in the SP at Europeans).

vCash
    Meit and Gillerron-Gory should represent France in Japan for the team competition. They both now train in Paris and have similar weaknesses in the PCS department. 2 great athletes with huge jumps, but they are so far behind with their skating skills, and posture. It is sad that they did not work on their weaknesses earlier.
    Most skaters don`t come back from an ACL surgery after 1 year. It usually takes up to 18 months to get back to full physical potential. I love Silete and she is by far the most COP-friendly skater, but time is not on her side.
    The 3 ladies will be at the same rink, fighting for an olympic spot, unless there is a coaching change this summer.

vCash
    That's kind of offensive. Other than both of them being black, Bonaly and Meit are different skaters and the latter is still developing her style and trying different ideas. I love Meit's presence and personality and I hope she can further develop her skating, and I love how diverse Team France is. I hope that will be an example for other federations.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Most skaters don`t come back from an ACL surgery after 1 year. It usually takes up to 18 months to get back to full physical potential. I love Silete and she is by far the most COP-friendly skater, but time is not on her side.
    Dai tore his ACL in October or November of 2008 and competed the following season, but he was quite inconsistent. Also, he's a world class skater and was perceived that way, while Silete was at a much earlier stage of her career when she got hurt. So it'll be harder for her to make up for any technical issues as she works her way back. I figure it'll take a while for her to be successful, and we'll see more of her post-Sochi.

vCash

What on earth do you mean?

Surya Bonaly, Ma Brnice Mit, and Yrtha Silt all happen to be powerful black French skaters. In terms of style, however, they are about as similar as Michael Weiss, Max Aaron, and Keegan Messing -- three powerful white U.S. skaters.

vCash
    I agree that their style is very diffrent from Surya's.
    And I'm not sure that Mae is a lock for Olympic spot. She is a hard worker but she has never been National champion.
    I hope Yretha can come back strong enough to win, I think she has it all.

vCash
    Yeah, the only thing about their styles that I see as similar is that they are French, and French skaters tend to be, as Dick Button says, "left of center."

I enjoy watching Silt far more, but Ma has been fairly consistent.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 03-20-2013 at 08:20 PM.

vCash
    To me, Ma Brnice just doesn't have the body type that would be aesthetically pleasing for the judges to give her much higher marks even if she improves her skating... Yrtha, however, has the potential to have that IT factor.. If she can get past this injury and work on improving technically - SHE is the one!!!

vCash
    I prefer Yretha too, she is voidy, does not have the ugly leg wrap on her lutz and flip jumps, and is still a very powerful skater but with a leaner build and longer limbs, so I think she has more potential to be viewed as a top skater in the eyes of the judges. To me, she is more elegant than Mae as well, though it may mostly be due to the difference in builds, and can jump just as well if not better than her compatriot. I guess consistency is more the question, but she seemed to be doing better in that regard last season before she got injured. I also think she has generally picked better program and costume choices as a whole while I think Mae could be packaged a whole lot better. I liked her Black Swan SP last season a lot, elegant, powerful, with a hint of DIVA . Hope she comes back from her injury strong!

All this being said, Mae has improved a ton and has been pretty reliable this season, and her score at Worlds was quite respectable so I think she'd be a fine choice for the Olympics if she ends up being sent.

vCash
    I would also count Anas Ventard, who defeated Ma at last Nationals.
    She is still junior, only showed the easiest triples at French Nationals, but she was coming back from injury. I think she landed 3Lz in competition since. And she has skating skills and spins that usually hit the ceiling on the judge marks.

So in the best options, next year the fight for the Oly spot will be among :
    - Ma Brnice Mit
    - Yrtha Silt (hoping she's back !)
    - Lanelle Gilleron-Gory
    - Anas Ventard
    - Lena Marocco was quite inconsistent lately, but with different 'if' she can easily be a threat
    - Laurine Lecavelier

I think we will not see Candice Didier anymore

vCash
    I too prefer Yretha with her more refined style and look forward to her return. But I was very impressed with Meite this season. She brings a unique amazonian look to the ice and is turning into a strong competitor. She really needs better programs and, especially, costumes. They are locking her in an ethnic box. Someone suggested that another skater spend some time with ice dancers, as Daisuke did a year or two ago, and that might be good for Mai-Berenice too. They are the only French skaters with good programs!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

What on earth do you mean?

Surya Bonaly, Ma Brnice Mit, and Yrtha Silt all happen to be powerful black French skaters. In terms of style, however, they are about as similar as Michael Weiss, Max Aaron, and Keegan Messing -- three powerful white U.S. skaters.
    I dunno, I think Meite and Bonaly's styles are rather similar but Silete's is kind of different..

vCash
    Actually Meite is better than Bonaly in every single aspect of skating. Her jumps are huge and clean, with good technique and quality. Her spins are solid. And while she could loosen up a little, her choreography and style has much more purpose and conviction than Bonaly ever did in her competitive days (IMO anyway). Although, I guess not everyone can have long, sweeping edges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast