Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vacant
    vCash

A blast from the past - the 1913 World Championships on Video!

Not a retrospective as such but a really interesting film that shows just how different skating was back then. For me - a self confessed skating history obsessive - it's truly wonderful to see these people on film, people who, until recently, had been merely names in a history book.

The ISU president at the time was Viktor Balck who also founded the Nordic Games which ran from 1901 to 1926, often in Stockholm. Sometimes the Worlds were held within the Nordic Games and this was the case in 1913 for the ladies and pairs. The men's event was held 12 days later in Vienna. As you will see there was a mens competition held here, won by Gosta Sandahl of Sweden who won Worlds a year later. Only Harald Rooth of Sweden who finished 2nd here, went on to compete at Worlds. Lots of lovely footage of figures and some nice poses from the medallists. The men's camaraderie at the end is great to see.

1913 Worlds Ladies & Pairs and 1913 Men's Nordic Games Championships

At the end, the man standing far left next to Gosta Sandahl with the breeches and pretty jacket is Arthur Cumming of Great Britain. Twice the British Champion in 1911 and 1913, he is most famous for winning the silver medal in special figures behind Nikolai Panin in the London 1908 Olympics, but he was by many accounts of the time an astounding free skater who was very balletic. T.D. Richardson called him the true founder of the modern free skating programme! He also skated pairs with the aristocrat the Hon Mrs Arthur Cadogan at the Prince's Club in Knightsbridge. Arthur was involved in a motorcycle accident in London in 1914 and as a result caught tetanus and tragically died the day after his 25th birthday So a quick shout out for help! If anyone has any info on Arthur Cumming, please get in touch. I'm trying to do some research on his career and I'm not getting very far His Olympic silver medal has been auctioned twice since 2008 so I would presume this was handed down within his family to some extent. He never married.

So again if anyone knows anything, please PM me, and enjoy the old skool
    Last edited by floskate; 03-23-2014 at 10:45 AM.

vCash
    Thanks Floskate, for the film, the control they had was wonderful. Sorry, no info for you on Arthur Cumming, but good luck in your research.
    If you reread your work, you can find on rereading a great deal of repetition can be avoided by rereading and editing.

Vacant
    vCash
    Some info on the competitors.

Opika von Meray Hervarth succeeded 4 time world champion and fellow Hungarian Lili Kronberger to win three of her own leading up to WW1. She died aged 89 in 1977.

Phyllis Johnson was a prolific skater who won many titles in both singles and pairs. The Swedish Cup, which was at that time recognised as the British Championships in singles was not separated into a purely men's event until the 1920's. As such Phyllis was able to win this title in 1921. She and her husband James donated the silver cups for the pairs championships...which they then promptly won They were Olympic silver medallists in pairs in 1908 and won two World titles in pairs in 1909 and 1912. She died in 1967 aged 80.

Svea Noren's skating career reached across the first world war and she medalled at Worlds both here in 1913 and again in 1922 and '23. She was 2nd to Magda Julin, also of Sweden in the 1920 Olympics and died aged 89 in 1985.

Helene Engelmann was only 15 here at the 1913 Worlds where she won her first pair title with Karl Mejstrik. They lost the title the following year to the Jakobssons but she was back in 1922 with Alfred Berger and won back the world title. They also won again in 1924 when they became Olympic Champions in Chamonix. Helene was the daughter of Eduard Engelmann, the three time European Champion in 1892-94. She died in 1985 aged 87.

Ludowika Eilers was a German skater who was representing Germany here while her partner Walter Jakobsson was representing Finland. They first won a medal in 1910 and then the title in 1911 sharing it between the two countries. They returned after the war to claim the OGM in 1920 and more medals in Worlds pairs, including another gold in 1923 when Engelmann & Berger didn't compete. She died in 1968 aged 84 and Walter, who went on to become a top level judge and ISU referee died in 1957 aged 75.

Keeping it all in the family, Christa von Szabo was the sister of Eduard Engelmann, the aunt of Helene Engelmann and the mother of Herma Szabo who went on to become a legend in the sport. She and her partner Loe Horwitz actually beat Her niece in the Austrian Nationals a year later which must have been rather awkward Another interesting family titbit, Helene's sister Christine Engelmann went on to marry Karl Schafer!

Very little is known about Gosta Sandahl, the winner of the men's Nordic Games. He was European Champion in 1912, won worlds a year after this in 1914 beating the reigning champion Fritz Kachler and a young Willy Bockl, and was Swedish Champion five times. He reappeared after the war to skate in the 1923 Worlds winning the bronze. Other than Arthur Cumming (who I have already mentioned and finished 3rd here), I know little of the other mens competitors here who were Harald Rooth (2nd) who competed in Europeans Worlds during this era and reappeared as a judge at the 1928 Worlds. Karl Sandahl (4th) I presume was Gosta's brother and in 5th was a Swedish gentleman called Hultgren who I have never heard of. It could have been either Axel or Oluf who medalled in Swedish Nationals in this era.

Well if we learn nothing else from this very long post, we can presume that outdoor skating - lots of it - can lead to a very long life!
    Last edited by floskate; 03-23-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Vacant
    vCash
    What, no one interested in a little history today? Oh well, Uncle Dick is

https://twitter.com/PushDicksButton

Thanks manleywoman for sending him the link

vCash
    Thanks, that was really cool to watch! Imagine trying to skate in those long skirts! Probably helped that they weren't jumping, though.

Pairs really looked like dance in those days!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    floskate, thanks, as always, for the additional background information and history!

vCash
    Thanks, floskate - how neat is this? (Very neat!)

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    floskate, thanks for the history info and the videos!
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Great clips, and history lesson-thank you!

vCash
    Very cool! Love the women's hats. . . I know they'd be totally impractical today but what can I say, I love me some good early 20th century fashion.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Holy find, Batman! Floskate, you are amazing. Where in the world did you find 1913 film?

vCash
    Love this, floskate. Thank you!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Thank you Floskate, this is just great!

vCash
    So cool seeing this-thanks for bringing it over. I love the way the old film captured it. Seeing the body movement was fascinating and actually quite entertaining. Probably because the fashion really drew my eye to focus on the line and control. Beautiful. I felt the same way I do watching a ballerina on pointe.

vCash
    Thanks Floskate, this was great to watch.

vCash
    This reminds me of what a wonderful tradition of skating there was in Britain, Sweden, and Norway. It was nice to see a Norwegian lady competing in Sochi in the free skate, reminiscent of these great old national traditions. Lately Sweden has been doing fairly well in singles. Maybe a British man or lady will turn up in a final again-- a John Curry, Robin Cousins, or even Stephen Cousins--with more than just a faint hope of making the top 12.

vCash
    Thank you floskate! I love old school skating competitions - and this is downright vintage!
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Not a retrospective as such but a really interesting film that shows just how different skating was back then. For me - a self confessed skating history obsessive - it's truly wonderful to see these people on film, people who, until recently, had been merely names in a history book.

The ISU president at the time was Viktor Balck who also founded the Nordic Games which ran from 1901 to 1926, often in Stockholm. Sometimes the Worlds were held within the Nordic Games and this was the case in 1913 for the ladies and pairs. The men's event was held 12 days later in Vienna. As you will see there was a mens competition held here, won by Gosta Sandahl of Sweden who won Worlds a year later. Only Harald Rooth of Sweden who finished 2nd here, went on to compete at Worlds. Lots of lovely footage of figures and some nice poses from the medallists. The men's camaraderie at the end is great to see.

1913 Worlds Ladies & Pairs and 1913 Men's Nordic Games Championships

At the end, the man standing far left next to Gosta Sandahl with the breeches and pretty jacket is Arthur Cumming of Great Britain. Twice the British Champion in 1911 and 1913, he is most famous for winning the silver medal in special figures behind Nikolai Panin in the London 1908 Olympics, but he was by many accounts of the time an astounding free skater who was very balletic. T.D. Richardson called him the true founder of the modern free skating programme! He also skated pairs with the aristocrat the Hon Mrs Arthur Cadogan at the Prince's Club in Knightsbridge. Arthur was involved in a motorcycle accident in London in 1914 and as a result caught tetanus and tragically died the day after his 25th birthday So a quick shout out for help! If anyone has any info on Arthur Cumming, please get in touch. I'm trying to do some research on his career and I'm not getting very far His Olympic silver medal has been auctioned twice since 2008 so I would presume this was handed down within his family to some extent. He never married.

So again if anyone knows anything, please PM me, and enjoy the old skool
    Great video Floskate - Many many thanks!
    Last edited by Maofan7; 03-24-2014 at 10:33 PM.

It's either a very big ice rink, or there's a lake under there.
    vCash
    At the end, the man standing far left next to Gosta Sandahl with the breeches and pretty jacket is Arthur Cumming of Great Britain.
    I watched before reading your detailed notes, and was wondering who the impish guy was. Sad to read of his tragic short life due to the accident.

Well if we learn nothing else from this very long post, we can presume that outdoor skating - lots of it - can lead to a very long life!
    Based on people in my family, some Swedes seem to live a long time.

Thank you for this.

vCash
    The beautiful long skirts should be taken up by today's adult skaters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast