Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

vCash
    Not True - he was playing hockey (and apparently quite good at it), but he was also figure skating. He competed in Intermediate Men at the 2006 USFS Junior Nationals (so Dec. 2005), when he would have been 13, unless my math is off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    In reality, has any hockey player picked up figure skating as an adult (or late teen) and actually become successful internationally?
    Not a hockey player, but didn't we have a thread recently get bumped about a football (soccer) star skating pairs with an established OES pairs skater? His skating skills looked really good for someone learning as an adult, and some of their pair elements lloked nice enough. I thikn he was struggling to land double salchows though....i'm drawing a blank on their names - they were training in germany (maybe obsertsdorf?).

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Not a hockey player, but didn't we have a thread recently get bumped about a football (soccer) star skating pairs with an established OES pairs skater? His skating skills looked really good for someone learning as an adult, and some of their pair elements lloked nice enough. I thikn he was struggling to land double salchows though....i'm drawing a blank on their names - they were training in germany (maybe obsertsdorf?).
    Here you go: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...hreads-Merged)

I've re-posted the above comments and replied in the Max Aaron articles thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3885738

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Because they never competed at a USFS qualifying competition, championship or were on the national team is my guess.
    Yes on the first two, but Y/R were on the national team (Reserve team envelope).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-26-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yes on the first two, but Y/R were on the national team (Reserve team envelope).
    Well Reserve Team is pushing it for a PR but not out the realm of possibility. But I suspect USFS only does them if the skaters involve send them one to send out. And it looks like Y/R really want this partnership to fade into the night.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    I am surprised that we haven't heard of any tryouts....also very surprised that Caitlin posted on IPS. I have never seen a former national champion do that. Most high profile skaters get their tryouts through word of mouth...right?

Quadless
    vCash
    Drew Meekins is a former Junior World champion, and he was on IPS.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I noticed that Caitlin has updated her IPS profile. She corrected the fact that she wanted a dance partner to a pairs partner.
    Anyone think she reads FSU?

vCash
    Well, she is no longer on IPS - any one know who she might be skating with? I hope it goes better this time around.

vCash
    She should call Wesley Campbell, if she is still looking. I understand that he was interested at competing in pairs.

I just looked on IPS, I didn't see Caitlin on it, did she change her mind? (Or do I need new glasses?)
    Last edited by crzesk8dad; 04-11-2013 at 03:58 AM.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    Crossing my fingers that she found a great partner!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crzesk8dad View Post
    She should call Wesley Campbell, if she is still looking. I understand that he was interested at competing in pairs.

I just looked on IPS, I didn't see Caitlin on it, did she change her mind? (Or do I need new glasses?)
    Wesley will be giving up his eligibility very soon-- he has a cruise contract.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Wesley will be giving up his eligibility very soon-- he has a cruise contract.
    Wesley is also a leftie and hasn't competed much in pairs.

vCash
    Ah, sorry to hear the news.

Caitlin has so much talent and ability and potential that's already been realized ~ both she & John Coughlin finished the highest of any American pair at Worlds in 2011 (6th) since Inoue & Baldwin in 2006 (4th) ~ that's saying a lot! No American pair has actually medalled at Worlds since 2002 (Ina & Zimmerman bronze).

She's honestly like the Oksana Baiul of pairs skating, such a shame that she's yet to realize her FULL potential at only 23 years of age, and I hate to say it (being a patriotic American) but mayhap it's time she switched to another country so she can skate with somebody of her calibre. Marina Anissina did it, so can Caitlin.

As it stands now, the only two American guys tall enough for her and good enough would be either Shnapir or Knierim, and both of them are taken unfortunately, more's the pity.

Here's wishing Caitlin all the best; she's still young enough to find somebody and make a phenomenal comeback!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    She's honestly like the Oksana Baiul of pairs skating, such a shame that she's yet to realize her FULL potential at only 23 years of age, and I hate to say it (being a patriotic American) but mayhap it's time she switched to another country so she can skate with somebody of her calibre. Marina Anissina did it, so can Caitlin.
    I think you might be right. Let's play Fantasy Pairs skating - if the US released her, who is available in another country?
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash

Caitlin has so much talent and ability and potential that's already been realized ~ both she & John Coughlin finished the highest of any American pair at Worlds in 2011 (6th) since Inoue & Baldwin in 2006 (4th) ~ that's saying a lot! No American pair has actually medalled at Worlds since 2002 (Ina & Zimmerman bronze).

As it stands now, the only two American guys tall enough for her and good enough would be either Shnapir or Knierim, and both of them are taken unfortunately, more's the pity.

Here's wishing Caitlin all the best; she's still young enough to find somebody and make a phenomenal comeback!

vCash

It's very hard to find a strong male pairs partner in the USA because most talented men want to pursue singles career. I think Caitlyn would be better off looking outside at this point.

vCash
    I'm fine with Timothy LeDuc skating with DeeDee Leng, but a pairing with Caitlin would've been phenomenal. I believe he is 6-2 and like her, he skates with a lot of stretch and extension

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I'm fine with Timothy LeDuc skating with DeeDee Leng, but a pairing with Caitlin would've been phenomenal. I believe he is 6-2 and like her, he skates with a lot of stretch and extension
    He tried out with her. IIRC, he was very surprised when she announced her partnership, as he thought he would be skating with her.

Tim and DeeDee are doing well, they had mistakes at nationals but show promise. It would be stupid, though typical of US pairs, for him to dump a partner heading into an Olympic season. Partner hoping is one of the reasons the US has done so poorly on the world stage.

vCash
    I had never really seen Tim skate till I went to Omaha in January and came away really impressed with how he looks on the ice and his skills as a pairs skater so I'm sorry things with him in Caitlin didn't work out. I'm not sold on his partnership with DeeDee but we'll see how it goes with another season under their belts.

vCash
    I think DeeDee and Tim have a ridiculous amount of potential. It would be completely stupid to break up; they could be national champions in 2 years...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast