Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    This thread bothers me a bit. I mean the very first suggestion of a partner for Yankowskas is someone who is teamed up with another skater? The very first! I think that's amazingly rude and worse to that skater's actual partner. It makes me mad enough for her that I want to hunt some of you down and kick you in the pants. These aren't trading cards but real people.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I don't think Yankowskas is too big for a pairs skater.
    Do American pairs men tend on the shorter side? Because 5'3" doesn't seem too tall, yet her height is often discussed as a liability.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I hate to see skaters like her and Maria Mukhortova not be able to skate for lack of partners.
    Lack of partners was pretty low on the list of Mukhortova's isssues.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Do American pairs men tend on the shorter side? Because 5'3" doesn't seem too tall, yet her height is often discussed as a liability.
    It's not just the height. Yankowskas has a woman's body with curves. And sadly that's really not good in this sport which favours twigs because of how the biomechanics work.

vCash
    aaaah, mukhortova....

my wounded heart

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    This thread bothers me a bit. I mean the very first suggestion of a partner for Yankowskas is someone who is teamed up with another skater? The very first! I think that's amazingly rude and worse to that skater's actual partner. It makes me mad enough for her that I want to hunt some of you down and kick you in the pants. These aren't trading cards but real people.
    I agree. I know some people like to suggest "dream pairings", but some of the scenarios that get mentioned on forums are so unrealistic or not really beneficial that all they really do is knock the partners the skaters currently have. One minute people are begging for teams (sometimes even teams they've never seen before) to stay together, and then the next minute they act like this is the NBA where you can swap players around a bunch of times to try to make instantaneously stronger teams. Creating pairs that truly work is really not simple.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

It's not just the height. Yankowskas has a woman's body with curves. And sadly that's really not good in this sport which favours twigs because of how the biomechanics work.
    Yankowskas is trim and very fit. She seems to have lost weight recently from the picture I saw of her on Facebook. I don't think of her as "curvy" at all. IMO, we shouldn't be discussing her weight at all. Women pair skaters have it really tough, we don't need to be giving them eating disorders.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I think it's more that there just aren't many male pair skaters in the US, period, and some of those we do have are short enough that they probably need partners closer to 5' than to 5'3. Most males who go into pairs seem to make the switch in their mid-teens or later. By that time, there aren't that many boys left in the sport. Since it's mostly the more successful skaters who stick around to the age of 15 - 18 (or older), and jumping tends to be easier for the not-so-tall skaters, a lot of the mid-teen and older male skaters are of average height or less. And of course not every tallish male skater wants to go into--or stay in--pairs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSfan107 View Post
    Yankowskas is trim and very fit. She seems to have lost weight recently from the picture I saw of her on Facebook. I don't think of her as "curvy" at all. IMO, we shouldn't be discussing her weight at all. Women pair skaters have it really tough, we don't need to be giving them eating disorders.
    I didn't say she wasn't fit and I didn't say she needed to lose weight. I said she has a woman's body and not a girl's body (curvy doesn't mean overweight, unfit or fat last time I checked the dictionary).

vCash
    Caitlin needs to go all "toe pick!" and find a minor league hockey player who probably isn't going to make it to the NHL for whatever reason.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I didn't say she wasn't fit and I didn't say she needed to lose weight. I said she has a woman's body and not a girl's body (curvy doesn't mean overweight, unfit or fat last time I checked the dictionary).
    Thank you! People tend to misuse the word "curvy" since the media has decided to re-invent the word as a PC replacement for overweight, thick, large build, ect.

Caitlin does have curves, but she also looks small boned...it's a shame there aren't more U.S. pairs men available for her to skate with. I wonder if she could possibly find a singles skater to convert to pairs?

I'm not in the group that thinks Caitlin is the savior to U.S. Pairs skating, but I do think she is super talented, and it's a shame that she can't seem to find an ideal partner.

vCash
    I understand what you mean, Ziggy. I just get nervous that the skaters may get the wrong idea.

vCash
    So how come no news about the breakup from USFS?

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Because they never competed at a USFS qualifying competition, championship or were on the national team is my guess.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Caitlin needs to go all "toe pick!" and find a minor league hockey player who probably isn't going to make it to the NHL for whatever reason.
    Converting roller skaters seems to be trending lately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Converting roller skaters seems to be trending lately.
    Roller skaters turned ice skaters always have tiny jumps, but what an excellent idea.

A hockey player would be fast and powerful, but it would probably take them a few years to get him ready.

vCash
    Has anyone heard anything about Caitlin having any tryouts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    A hockey player would be fast and powerful, but it would probably take them a few years to get him ready.
    In reality, has any hockey player picked up figure skating as an adult (or late teen) and actually become successful internationally?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSfan107 View Post
    I understand what you mean, Ziggy. I just get nervous that the skaters may get the wrong idea.
    Not like they don't hear about their weight all the time from their coaches, judges, federation officials, etc. etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    In reality, has any hockey player picked up figure skating as an adult (or late teen) and actually become successful internationally?
    No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    On spanish tv they were saying Max Aaron played hockey till he was 14 and picked up fs from there...dunno if it's totally true as they often make some stories up

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    On spanish tv they were saying Max Aaron played hockey till he was 14 and picked up fs from there...dunno if it's totally true as they often make some stories up
    I would really like to know a real bio on him. The information seems to be very conflicting.

His ice network bio says he started figure skating at the age 9. I would bet it wasn't very seriously at first though. Wikipedia reports 9th place juvenile at regionals in 2003, so he would have been like 11 then? He won juvenile the next year.

The ice network bio says he played elite hockey for 14 years. If he started hockey skating at age 4 like he bio says, I imagine there were a number of years he played non-elite hockey too, right? But wikipedia says he stopped playing hockey in 2008 (and had to take a year off the ice due to injury), and he would have only been 16ish then, so those numbers don't work.

It is interesting that he was playing with the US development team levels in hockey while competing junior in figure skating. That must be hard to maintain high level in two sports.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast