Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sk8 View Post
    But, if USFS refuses - and the wait period is already met - that leaves a petition to the ISU council for an exception, right? Has that ever succeeded in a similar case?
    Morgan Matthews wanted a release to skate for Azerbaijan and later to skate for Canada (IIRC) and USFS kept refusing her. She lawyered up but didn't manage to get the release ever IIRC.

She was a Junior World Champion, however. Yankowskas never medalled at ISU Championships, did she?

vCash
    How sad and frustrating. After listening to her interview with Jenny Kirk I thought things must be working out. I actually saw Caitlin and Joshua skate last year at the Skate for Hope show in June and the sp at Skate for Detroit in July and they appeared really rough. He seemed extremely nervous and stiff with no expression and she had jump problems. I thought it was just because they needed more time together. Whole thing is really sad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post
    I actually saw Caitlin and Joshua skate last year at the Skate for Hope show in June and the sp at Skate for Detroit in July and they appeared really rough. He seemed extremely nervous and stiff with no expression and she had jump problems. I thought it was just because they needed more time together. Whole thing is really sad.
    I'm glad you said this. I had the same impression from watching the youtube clips including the one taken from a distance at the Galleria in Dallas. He looked like he was totally uninterested in skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Morgan Matthews wanted a release to skate for Azerbaijan and later to skate for Canada (IIRC) and USFS kept refusing her. She lawyered up but didn't manage to get the release ever IIRC.

She was a Junior World Champion, however. Yankowskas never medalled at ISU Championships, did she?
    A bronze at Cup of China was the closest, I think.

I recalled Matthews, but haven't looked up whether the rules are exactly the same now. I recalled some tightening on citizenship issues, but flexibility on Pairs/Dance & some discussion about the goal not being to allow a federation to stop a skater from ever competing again. Just haven't had time to look it all up in the last couple of days!

What is the process of being released? What does that even mean? I assume to means she can skate for another country?
    Jarrett- in simple terms, yes, it is the process of being permitted to skate for another country, and the wait time varies based on whether the skater competed internationally for a country and whether it is singles or pairs/dance. The ISU has a rule & communication (1420, IIRC) about it, but member federations add their own "layer" of requirements. USFS, oddly IMO, may have "policies," but it isn't part of their published Rulebook. Worse, ISU doesn't have any deadlines for acting (like 30 days from receipt...), so it really can just be a big mess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post
    How sad and frustrating. After listening to her interview with Jenny Kirk I thought things must be working out. I actually saw Caitlin and Joshua skate last year at the Skate for Hope show in June and the sp at Skate for Detroit in July and they appeared really rough. He seemed extremely nervous and stiff with no expression and she had jump problems. I thought it was just because they needed more time together. Whole thing is really sad.
    Josh Regan skated stiffly with no expression when he was with Ashley Cain. Ashley was definitely the star of that pairing.

vCash
    You know it would be so much easier if she could snatch a partner from someone else...

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

vCash
    I'm NOT surprised by this at all for some reason. IDK - all the withdrawals last season.

FWIW, I recall a poster some time ago stated that Josh was a handful to work with. There may have been buyer's regret on Caitlin's part.

vCash
    Maybe it's just time for her to move on

vCash
    If Rockne was able to comeback twice, why not Caitlin?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    I would hope she can but Rockne has had partners and competed. Caitlin really hasn't. She had a partner but they did not really ever get off the ground competing. She's been gone and not competed. It is different and sad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by figureit View Post
    I would hope she can but Rockne has had partners and competed. Caitlin really hasn't. She had a partner but they did not really ever get off the ground competing. She's been gone and not competed. It is different and sad
    ???

Her most recent partner didn't work out and they didn't compete for the season they were training together. With her previous partner she was National champion. Not sure how that qualifies as "really hasn't" competed or how it's that different from all the partners Rockne has been through. Every time Rockne loses a partner there is an outpouring of support here on FSU and blame is never assigned to him and I cant remember anyone ever suggesting he just pack it up... Yet for Caitlin, arguably the most talented American female pairs skater of the last 10 years, posters are quick to say "well, maybe it's just time to move on."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    She's tall for a pair skater and she was never a very strong jumper.

vCash
    I still vote for a Ben Okolski comeback. Then we could have another pairs team with rude Eastern Euro roots and long unpronounceable last names (Yankowskas/Okolski)
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I still vote for a Ben Okolski comeback. Then we could have another pairs team with rude Eastern Euro roots and long unpronounceable last names (Yankowskas/Okolski)
    That ship has sailed.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    ???

Her most recent partner didn't work out and they didn't compete for the season they were training together. With her previous partner she was National champion. Not sure how that qualifies as "really hasn't" competed or how it's that different from all the partners Rockne has been through. Every time Rockne loses a partner there is an outpouring of support here on FSU and blame is never assigned to him and I cant remember anyone ever suggesting he just pack it up... Yet for Caitlin, arguably the most talented American female pairs skater of the last 10 years, posters are quick to say "well, maybe it's just time to move on."
    Actually, a lot of people have blamed Rockne. Someone said that he was an *sshole in the last thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    That ship has sailed.
    Oh, I know. He retired, they've been in the same place for 2 years now, and I don't even know if they're really suited to each other, but hey, I can dream, no?
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I have a feeling we will be very surprised by her next partner. No, I don't have any idea who. It is just a feeling I have.

I was really looking forward to seeing them compete.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    I have a feeling we will be very surprised by her next partner. No, I don't have any idea who. It is just a feeling I have.

I was really looking forward to seeing them compete.

DO elaborate on your feeling. I have had a feeling about that too and was wondering if we are thinking along the same lines.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    ???

Rockny has always had a more realistic chance of being back on the elite competitive scene than Caitlin; He did do that and was quite successful with Mary Beth and now has another realistic shot with yet a new partner. Caitlin hasn't been anywhere close to being seriously back on the elite competitive scene since her partnership broke up. With the lack of talented male pair skaters to choose from, her chance of coming back get dimmer and dimmer as each season passes. A similar thing happened to Drew Meekins, and fans were posting the "time to move on" phrase when threads popped up about his status.

vCash
    Wasn't Drew still looking, recently?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast