Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 67
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,354
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    51506
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    As an addition to this, my interview with Janet Lynn's coach Slavka Kohout covers some of 1972 as well. The full interview is here, but highlights are transcribed below:
    Have you ever approached Janet Lynn herself for an interview?

    If you do interview her, please let us all know. I am sure that there are quite a number of us on here who would like to suggest questions to ask.

    Back in 2011, she wrote this superb critique on COP/IJS. I've often wondered if she could have chosen when she was born and could have had her skating career all over again, which era would she have preferred to skate in. Given her views on COP/IJS, obviously not the current one. I also doubt she would want to go through the same problems she encountered with an era in which compulsories contributed 50-60% of the marks. As for the period between the elimination of compulsories in 1990 up to the introduction of COP/IJS, would she have preferred to have competed in an era in which 3F's, 3Z's, and 3+3 combinations became the norm, and Ito and Harding were performing 3A's (i.e. a more athletic era)? What about the period between 1973 and 1990 when the short program was introduced and the percentage contribution of compulsories was gradually diminished? I have often suspected that this is the era in which she would have been most successful. I wonder what her views are on that.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 03-20-2013 at 08:21 PM.

  2. #22

  3. #23
    podcast mistress
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    Posts
    7,814
    vCash
    2367
    Rep Power
    1742
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    Have you ever approached Janet Lynn herself for an interview?
    Yes, twice. The first time she said at the moment she prefers to write her thoughts down on paper than give interviews. I can understand that. But she said to contact her again in the future. The second time she didn't respond. But I'll keep checking in with her every once in a while in the hopes she'll agree. I'd love to giver her a platform on which she can express her views.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    There's one near you!!! :)
    Posts
    3,837
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    But she said to contact her again in the future. The second time she didn't respond.
    That's bizarre--is it possible she never received your message?

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    50
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Smirnova came so close to winning OGM twice with different partners...

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,763
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    That's bizarre--is it possible she never received your message?
    She is supposedly a very quiet person.

  7. #27
    Vacant
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Here and there
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,743
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5719
    Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    Smirnova came so close to winning OGM twice with different partners...
    Ludmilla Smirnova? Yes indeed for 1972 but when did she almost win the OGM again? After teaming up with Ulanov and being resoundingly 2nd in just about everything - they even dropped to 3rd at 1974 Europeans - they retired after 1974 Worlds. She was an exquisite skater with lovely big jumps and gorgeous lines. She and Suraikin and then Ulanov just didn't have the same technical content that Rodnina & partner could deliver, however nearly every article from major championships for their era notes how much more artistic she was. She and Suraikin did manage to take one 1st place from Rodnina - the 1971 Worlds SP which was the only time Rodnina lost any portion of any international competition between 1969 and 1980.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,817
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    Retrospective moves onto the 1972 Olympics.

    The key facts in relation to these Olympics are:-.....with both winners of the singles events performing very poorly in their free skates, but winning despite that, due to their strength in the school figures. .....
    I beg to differ on Nepela. He was actually quite wonderful but had one jump error in his '72 Oly free skate. Never in a million years was he as weak a free skater as was Trixie.

    Thanks for starting this thread, maofan7.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    12,937
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17196
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I feel that Janet Lynn looks so moody and grumpy in her 1990s interviews/videos.
    She doesn't seem "grumpy" to me, in the ones shared above.
    Janet never did many "extended" interviews.
    Perhaps that's what you are noticing.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,354
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    51506
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    I beg to differ on Nepela. He was actually quite wonderful but had one jump error in his '72 Oly free skate. Never in a million years was he as weak a free skater as was Trixie.

    Thanks for starting this thread, maofan7.
    I would agree. He was a good free skater as he showed with his 1971 Worlds FP. As Floskate pointed out, his fall on the 3T was his first fall in competition in 4 years. It was very unfortunate that it happened at the Olympics, and that it left him down in 4th place in the free skate.

    His record at the world championships was as follows:-

    1969: Comp = 1, FS = 6 (2nd overall behind Tim Wood)
    1970: Comp = 1, FS = 3 (2nd overall behind Tim Wood)
    1971: Comp = 1, FS = 1 (1st overall)
    1972: Comp = 1, FS = 3 (1st Overall)
    1973: Comp = 1, SP = 2, FS = 2 (1st overall)

    Hence, 1971 worlds was one of his best free skates! What the above shows is that his strength did lie in compulsories, but that he was also a good free skater. Nevertheless, he was reliant upon the compulsories to win his world and Olympic titles (except in 1971). The problem with large compulsory leads is that those with the lead often skated conservatively in the free program, and not to their true potential. Had there been no compulsories, and had he then been compelled to focus all his training on his free skating, would he have been as successful? Who knows. I suspect he would have still been amongst the leading contenders, but it would have been far more difficult for him against the strong free skaters, such as Sergei Chetverukhin, Toller Cranston, John Misha Petkevich, etc
    Last edited by Maofan7; 03-22-2013 at 04:49 AM.

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3645
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    She doesn't seem "grumpy" to me, in the ones shared above.
    Janet never did many "extended" interviews.
    Perhaps that's what you are noticing.
    I think, and please don't jump on me for judging her because I am not, what I noticed is that she seems so reserved. Knowing about her deep faith and interest in sharing that with others, I expected her to be more noticeably joyful. She seems very private and shy. It may just be her nature. She dresses a bit gloomy too. I mean compare her to the other USA ladies stars-- all are glamorous or artsy in some way. Tenley is a little reserved, but then she wears crazy flowers in her hair at events. Nothing wrong at all with being yourself outwardly, but please understand I am just responding to her from my expectations of what has been typical of a USA ladies star.

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    Posts
    7,557
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7590
    Janet never was comfortable with being the center of attention despite the whole world adoring her skating, and her values emphasized being humble, so she has never gotten comfortable with it.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 03-22-2013 at 04:43 AM.

  13. #33

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,817
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    I would agree. He was a good free skater as he showed with his 1971 Worlds FP. As Floskate pointed out, his fall on the 3T was his first fall in competition in 4 years. It was very unfortunate that it happened at the Olympics, and that it left him down in 4th place in the free skate.

    His record at the world championships was as follows:-

    1969: Comp = 1, FS = 6 (2nd overall behind Tim Wood)
    1970: Comp = 1, FS = 3 (2nd overall behind Tim Wood)
    1971: Comp = 1, FS = 1 (1st overall)
    1972: Comp = 1, FS = 3 (1st Overall)
    1973: Comp = 1, SP = 2, FS = 2 (1st overall)

    Hence, 1971 worlds was one of his best free skates! What the above shows is that his strength did lie in compulsories, but that he was also a good free skater. Nevertheless, he was reliant upon the compulsories to win his world and Olympic titles (except in 1971). The problem with large compulsory leads is that those with the lead often skated conservatively in the free program, and not to their true potential. Had there been no compulsories, and had he then been compelled to focus all his training on his free skating, would he have been as successful? Who knows. I suspect he would have still been amongst the leading contenders, but it would have been far more difficult for him against the strong free skaters, such as Sergei Chetverukhin, Toller Cranston, John Misha Petkevich, etc
    Yes but my original point is that one fall in the free skate at Olys does not warrant calling Nepela's free skate "very poor." Careful with words, please. However, feel free to call Trixie's free skate "very poor"...because it was.

  14. #34
    podcast mistress
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    Posts
    7,814
    vCash
    2367
    Rep Power
    1742
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    She and Suraikin did manage to take one 1st place from Rodnina - the 1971 Worlds SP which was the only time Rodnina lost any portion of any international competition between 1969 and 1980.
    That sentence alone just sums up how amazing Rodnina was.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    12,937
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17196
    Nothing wrong at all with being yourself outwardly, but please understand I am just responding to her from my expectations of what has been typical of a USA ladies star.
    Janet never considered herself the star.

    Rather, God working through her, allowed her to share the gift He gave her with the world; for His purposes.
    IMO, He did!

    The transformation described, from the Hersh article:

    "As soon as the music starts," Boitano said, "you can see an energy go into her body in a way that's spiritual. When she smiled, it wasn't a false smile just to connect with the audience, it was an inner glow emerging."

    Lynn skated to a variety of demanding music--Debussy's lyrical "Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun," Beethoven's powerful "Leonore Overture No. 3," Ravel's percussive "La Valse." She achieved a subtle harmony with each piece in a way that made her skating seem effortless. And she was a formidable jumper as well.

    "There is no one like her now," Leaver said. "Janet was so far ahead of her time in bringing emotions to the ice and becoming an open book to the audience. She flowed to the music like no one had before or since."

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    There's one near you!!! :)
    Posts
    3,837
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    She is supposedly a very quiet person.
    There's a difference between being quiet/private and rude. If you don't want to be bothered by someone, you don't tell them to contact you in the future. You simply say, "Thank you, but I'm not interested." Now, I'm not saying that Lynn is being intentionally rude, but objectively speaking, ignoring someone whom you asked to contact you again is rude behavior. I have a great deal of respect for Lynn too, so I'm not saying that out of dislike or anything. Oh well, one can only conclude she really doesn't want to be interviewed.

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    50
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Smirnova's website: http://www.icedinasty.com/Dinasty/Welcome.html . She was great with 2 different partners.

  18. #38

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,187
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8291
    I have a copy of and have read Janet's book; she is a VERY religious Christian and views her life as devoted to God. The only spotlight she has ever been comfortable in is the one on the ice where she could express her joy and love incredibly. And she viewed her skating as a both a gift from and to God. She prefers to live a quiet existence around her family. She's not rude, just very reserved.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

  19. #39

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    12,937
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17196
    Thanks for that, Yazmeen!

  20. #40

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3645
    Did Trixie Schuba feel like Patrick Chan does when everybody complains about him winning?
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 03-23-2013 at 01:09 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •