View Poll Results: Would Denis Ten have medaled?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 26.42%
  • No

15 14.15%
  • Michelle Kwan

35 33.02%
  • Only if he hadn't doubled the flip

3 2.83%
  • He would've won, you idiot!

25 23.58%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Under 6.0...

vCash
    Vash01- I read the statement the opposite way. As in "if D10's talents were recognized the Soviet Union would have sent him to train with Mishin" so he wouldn't be obscure Kazak skater- but high profile Soviet one.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I don't think you meant it that way, but that statement about Mishin comes across as Mishin was a second (or third?) rate coach. He did coach Plushenko to an OGM and 3 world titles, and Yagudin learned his jumps from Mishin, not from Tarasova.
    Mishin coached more OGMists than that. Don't forget Alexei Urmanov. Sheesh

Skittl1321understood. D10 going to Mishin during the Soviet Era would have been like Nellie Kim going to train at Round Lake. D10 would have been sent to Mishin so he could be made into a Soviet Champion.

... Gosh, if D10 had been a Soviet skater, then he would have been eligible for Euros.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 03-20-2013 at 02:17 AM.

vCash
    How can you have Michelle Kwan as an option without Purple?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    How can you have Michelle Kwan as an option without Purple?
    How can you have Michelle Kwan as an option at all? She never got anything "Under 6.0" , right?

vCash
    Don't forget that D10 proved himself a few years ago as well, so he already had some credibility which would have helped him here with the placements. He still might have lost, however. He would have won the technical part of the LP over Chan but not by much. The spins and footwork of Chan are a lot better. Chan would have won the presentation. Chan winning the presentation would have him winning the LP overall.

I thought 10 was great and would have had him win this Worlds, but I can definitely understand Chan winning as well. The quality of the non-jumps and his overall skating is superior, IMO.

I do kind of want to smack 10 for doubling that flip though. He definitely would have won. Just like if J.Butt hadn't doubled his loop in the LP at the 2006 O's, he could have had the silver since there were less than 4 points between him and Stephane (I wanted to smack him for that as well).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    I thought 10 was great and would have had him win this Worlds, but I can definitely understand Chan winning as well. The quality of the non-jumps and his overall skating is superior, IMO.

That's where I have to disagree with you.

Under 6.0 in particular jumps were THE things, Skaters got high marks for spins and footwork as long as they landed the jumps. Miss the jumps (more than once) and you are not getting the gold (unless everyone else bombs, like at the 92 Oly ladies).

Chan would have gotten the high marks however, because of his basic skating skills. Still, I think with 4 mistakes in his program, he would not have won the LP. So Ten would have won overall (assuming he would be in the top 3 in the SP).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    Don't forget that D10 proved himself a few years ago as well, so he already had some credibility which would have helped him here with the placements. He still might have lost, however. He would have won the technical part of the LP over Chan but not by much. The spins and footwork of Chan are a lot better. ...
    But spins and footwork weren't rewarded much under 6.0. Dick Button brought that up quite frequently, especially if someone was an exceptional spinner.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post

Michelle would have gotten 6.0s in the artistic marks because ... she skates from her core and has a less blocked chi than Patrick Chan.
    tears in my eyes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12