Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    I've always wondered if he could tag a lutz in the opposite rotating direction from his first jump, since landings are usually on the outside edge.
    Yes, he can.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    It was an awesome interview! He was so open, and forthcoming, particularly about how confused he was as a underprivelaged black teen in a more white privilaged sport. I was really impressed with his composure.

As for one little tidbit, he did tell me (and it's part of the recorded interview so he/I don't mind sharing it) that he has filed paperwork to get back his eligibility and compete this year. He may not do it after all, but he has filed the paperwork and is considering it.
    Great to hear! Whether or not he ends up competing, I just hope I have a chance to watch him skate in person again.

I just found out he choreographed a new exhibition number for Jason Brown -- "Fly me to the Moon" -- that Jason performed in a show in Jackson, Wyoming this past weekend. Hope we'll get to see this sometime!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Thanks all for the questions! Some of them I didn't see until after the interview happened. It was an awesome interview! He was so open, and forthcoming, particularly about how confused he was as a underprivelaged black teen in a more white privilaged sport. I was really impressed with his composure.

As for one little tidbit, he did tell me (and it's part of the recorded interview so he/I don't mind sharing it) that he has filed paperwork to get back his eligibility and compete this year. He may not do it after all, but he has filed the paperwork and is considering it.
    Thanks! I look forward to listening!

vCash
    Very interesting. I wonder what his goal is ... it seems he would be competing against his own... muse? It is always great to see him and I'm sure fans would give him a warm welcome.

vCash
    OMG that would be awesome!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Thanks all for the questions! Some of them I didn't see until after the interview happened. It was an awesome interview! He was so open, and forthcoming, particularly about how confused he was as a underprivelaged black teen in a more white privilaged sport. I was really impressed with his composure.

Looking forward to your interview, manleywoman! Especially since Rohene Ward announced on his Facebook today that he has signed up to compete in the Broadmoor Open club competition in Colorado Springs in late June! (this will be his first competition since 2008 U.S. Nationals)

ETA manleywoman's reply to me on Twitter:
    @MWskatecast: "Rohene's recording was perfect for 1st half, then got garbled. Rerecording next week when he's here for PSA. #techprobs"
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-11-2013 at 02:08 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Aw, shucks that the interview already happened, but I always wondered how someone with his talent but would have done if he had come from a more well-to-do background and had more training time.

I have a feeling he'd be humble about it, but I wonder how far he feels he would have progressed if money wasn't an issue and if he could afford the same amount of training time and level of coaching as the top skaters

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    ^ Since he and are getting together again in two weeks to re-record the last half, I'll ask him.

In 64 interviews, its the first time I've had the recordings go haywire. The first half literally was perfect, and then the last half of his track just went bonkers . . . echos, distortion, etc. I interviewed Phil Hersh a few weeks later with the same equipment and all was fine, go figure!
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    He was so open, and forthcoming, particularly about how confused he was as a underprivelaged black teen in a more white privilaged sport. I was really impressed with his composure.
    Was this part in the first or second half of your interview?

ETA: IMO, Ward was very fortunate to have the support of his long-time coach in Minneapolis, Page Lipe, and I would like to hear how he would describe their relationship over the course of his competitive career, looking back now.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-11-2013 at 03:26 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12