Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash

Interviewing Rohene Ward . . . any questions?

Hi all. I'm interviewing Rohene Ward for the Manleywoman SkateCast tomorrow. Anyone have any questions for him?

Thanks!
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    If he could have done anything different in his eligible career, what would it have been?

vCash
    I'm very interested in his choreography, so anything about that and is there anyone he would like to choreagraph for?

vCash
    Does he have any formal dance or ballet training?

vCash
    If you could beg him to convince Jason to keep Liebestraume for another season, that'd be great. nah, just kidding.

What I really want to know was what his stretching regime was like to keep himself that flexible!

vCash
    Who are his favorite skaters to work with?

vCash
    How did he and Jason come to form their partnership, which is so special?
    What were his favorites among his own skates?
    Did he have a choreographic mentor? or in general, how did he get started as a choreographer?
    What does he think of the IJS? What is it like to work with, both as a skater and choreographer?
    Is there anything he would like to see changed about the IJS? How about the structure of competitions?
    Who are his own favorite skaters (current or retired) and why?

vCash
    Will he be working with Jason Brown again for his programs this upcoming season? Are there any other skaters that have expressed interest in working with him for choreography?

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    Since he could rotate in both directions, what are some of the more unusual combinations he could do?

I've always wondered if he could tag a lutz in the opposite rotating direction from his first jump, since landings are usually on the outside edge. A crazy one: 2lutz (in more comfortable direction) - 2 lutz (opposite rotation) - 2lutz (back in the original rotational direction)

vCash
    Where would he like to take his career in the next 10 years? Where does he get his inspiration as a choreographer?

Also, please tell him how many people appreciate his choreography ( and love his skating). Have a great time!
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    If he could have done anything different in his eligible career, what would it have been?
    On a related note... what were some of the highlight(s)/favorite moment(s) from his competitive career as well as his lowest moment(s) and/or biggest regrets? (if he doesn't mind sharing them)

What are his favorite places in the world that he has visited during his eligible/pro career so far and why?
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-19-2013 at 05:02 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    How does he REALLY like performing on a cruise ship (esp. after the recent disasters)?

vCash
    I'm curious on how European ice shows are working for skaters. What they require, for example. And how could he adjust to different business environment?

vCash
    Who has been his influences, musically, skating wise.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticHaze View Post
    Will he be working with Jason Brown again for his programs this upcoming season?
    Yes, I believe so.

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    How does he REALLY like performing on a cruise ship (esp. after the recent disasters)?
    I don't recall he has performed on a cruise ship yet? He talks about his Holiday on Ice tours in Europe in this article from last year (June 2012): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    Since he could rotate in both directions, what are some of the more unusual combinations he could do?
    Good question. IIRC, he once said he could land all reverse (clockwise) triples except for the flip and Axel. I believe he has only attempted a reverse double Axel in sequence with a regular triple Salchow in competition. He performs a clockwise 2A-CCW 2A sequence in this 2002 exhibition in Vienna, AUT (he was 19 at the time): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAdIn-NFKhc
    manleywoman, I'd like to know (if he can remember!) if he had this exhibition number prepared ahead of time or was it a spontaneous one-time only performance?
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-19-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Are there any pieces of music that he wanted to skate to that he never got a chance to use? Or, rephrased, if he came back for one year, a la Sandhu, what would his competitive programs be - would he skate to two pieces of music that he's never had a chance to use, or are there two old competitive programs that he would want to bring back (if so, which ones?).

vCash
    How wonderful that he works with Jason, a skater whose style and ability mirrors his own!
    I'm really looking forward to this interview.

vCash
    I'm curious how he feels about the media hyping up and coming skaters such as Gracie Gold. Does he feel it provides them with more opportunities and support, or does he feel the high expectations cripple their self-confidence when they don't live up to their hype right away? Is it a distraction for a junior level skater to have an agent or is it a help?

vCash
    How long does he plan to continue with Holiday on Ice?

I'd love to hear more details about Holiday on Ice, since it doesn't exist in the US. Does Rohene think HOI would be a success in the US?

Does his schedule include any performances in the US or Canada any time soon?

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Thanks all for the questions! Some of them I didn't see until after the interview happened. It was an awesome interview! He was so open, and forthcoming, particularly about how confused he was as a underprivelaged black teen in a more white privilaged sport. I was really impressed with his composure.

As for one little tidbit, he did tell me (and it's part of the recorded interview so he/I don't mind sharing it) that he has filed paperwork to get back his eligibility and compete this year. He may not do it after all, but he has filed the paperwork and is considering it.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast