Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    So it's not okay to show an action shot of Kaetlyn who is fully covered and wearing tights, but nobody minds when we get action shots of gymnasts, who are often younger and are wearing much higher cuts and no tights? Goodness.
    Seriously! What do the complainers think of this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAQ&dur=591
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Complainers? I would say commentators or simply individuals with an opinion that happens to include good taste and good judgment.

I don't find the gymnastic photo in nearly as poor taste as Kaetlyn's photo since the main focal point of the gymnast is the side of her body not a straight-on crotch shot. I don't even find the two photos comparable. I also don't find figure skating comparable to gymnastics.

But, the same argument applies to either -- many, many photos are taken and, in choosing one photo, that one photo could be tasteful, beautiful, strong and still representative of the athleticism of the sport.

O-
    Edited to add: Oh, and the so-called "complainers" include the photo editor:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commu...rticle9878975/

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post

Not a complainer but wow, a gorgeous shot!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    No, it wasn't all that bad ... but why oh why do photographers have such a hard time taking a decent photo of a gorgeous girl performing a beautiful sport? It's not like they have to pay for each photo they take. Why can't they take and use GOOD photos?

O-
    Because it's not the photographer, but their editor who has the final say on what gets published. Typically the editor will demand a wide variety of shots. As we have seen time and time again the editors go for shots that most figure skating fans would consider unflattering, but they want a photo that will have an impact on their general readership.

And in this case they certainly got the attention and more that they were seeking.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozet View Post
    Women should skate with a book of 18th century poems held between their knees.

As someone who's shot lots of skating photos, I think it's a great photo. The photographer captured a happy facial expression (not easy!) and dynamic position. I work at a newspaper and it's actually a perfect photo for the front page. Her face and skate are above the fold, so people can quickly ID it as skating.

People are so prudish ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post

As someone who's shot lots of skating photos, I think it's a great photo. The photographer captured a happy facial expression (not easy!) and dynamic position. I work at a newspaper and it's actually a perfect photo for the front page. Her face and skate are above the fold, so people can quickly ID it as skating.

People are so prudish ...
    Maybe some people ARE prudish. No, in fact you're right -- some people ARE prudish. But that doesn't explain everyone, including myself, who didn't feel it was a bad photo, but certainly felt it shouldn't have been used and that a much better photo could have been used. Generalizing that people are prudish is a copout, IMHO, and doesn't address the issue.

A better photo could have been used. It wasn't. Some folks took issue with it. Hoping for a journalistic approach that is better than the one chosen has to do with principles. It's a matter of hoping for journalism with better overall judgment.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me on this, but I won't go around calling people ridiculous or tacky either.

O-

vCash
    Gratuitous crotch shots, according to the pie chart in this article, is one of the main reasons figure skating is watched omg

http://www.cracked.com/funny-4078-figure-skating/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Gratuitous crotch shots, according to the pie chart in this article, is one of the main reasons figure skating is watched omg

http://www.cracked.com/funny-4078-figure-skating/
    haha, i laughed.

vCash
    One of the blog links someone posted (sorry, opened them all at once, don't know which) pointed out the SOLE convincing arguement I've seen that this was offensive. If a folded newspaper was delivered to your door upside down, you were greeted with a picture of ONLY a crotch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    One of the blog links someone posted (sorry, opened them all at once, don't know which) pointed out the SOLE convincing arguement I've seen that this was offensive. If a folded newspaper was delivered to your door upside down, you were greeted with a picture of ONLY a crotch.
    And your complaint is...?

vCash
    Can I just say I am still LMAO at this whole thing? Blowing things out of proportion. Sheesh! Considering some of the photos I've seen with hardly covering anything bikinis, this seems tame. This is NOT the Victorian ages. However, I can't believe they didn't have another photo they could have used. At the very least, they could have cropped it, if it was that offensive.
    Crazy about sports!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I don't think the picture is offensive, but definitely not the most flattering angle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    At the very least, they could have cropped it, if it was that offensive.
    It would have looked way worse cropped. There would be a random leg not attached to a body floating in the shot.

vCash
    It would have looked way worse cropped. There would be a random leg not attached to a body floating in the shot.
    Yep, and a far more flattering shot of the same photo of Kaetlyn would have been one that showed her left leg, i.e., the leg that was actually touching the ice ... this being figure skating and all. It would have shown Kaetlyn's entire form and dance pose, and not focused as much attention on her, well, you know

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    Yep, and a far more flattering shot of the same photo of Kaetlyn would have been one that showed her left leg, i.e., the leg that was actually touching the ice ... this being figure skating and all. It would have shown Kaetlyn's entire form and dance pose, and not focused as much attention on her, well, you know

O-
    From a front page of the newspaper point of view, I disagree. If you showed the leg touching the ice, the picture would need to be zoomed out such that there is a lot of dark space, and it would overwhelm the subject of the photo, because she is not wide enough to take up much of the frame.

vCash
    From a front page of the newspaper point of view, I disagree. If you showed the leg touching the ice, the picture would need to be zoomed out such that there is a lot of dark space, and it would overwhelm the subject of the photo, because she is not wide enough to take up much of the frame.
    You're probably right, but I think you get my point that a better photo could have been used.

O-

vCash
    I don't know that this "modesty crop" looks much worse -- I think that most people's minds would unconsciously "attach" Kaetlyn's leg to her torso. There were a lot of other photos they could have used though.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post

That isn't as campy and overtly sexual. That photo of Gabby Douglas is more artsy-- more admiring of her physique-- like a bird in flight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I don't know that this "modesty crop" looks much worse -- I think that most people's minds would unconsciously "attach" Kaetlyn's leg to her torso. There were a lot of other photos they could have used though.
    I disagree, it looks disembodied.

I'm sure there were other photos they could have used, and I think I said that maybe they could have picked a better one in an earlier post on this thread, but this one fit the need of a 'pun' in the headline.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast