Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    I think ISU should fix the judging system. They also should stop redefining things, ISU seems call somethings an Elephant and when you go into details provided it sounds more like an ant. So, Performance/Execution should mean performance and execution of the routine and not something else. A fall is hugely disruptive and should be deducted from this score. When after 2 falls and a near fall on another an athlete scores 9.00 for P/E from a judges, then the whole scoring system reputation is compromised.
    Thank you for making this point. The definitions may need revised, renamed, or simplified. Lots of people have ideas about how to make it more meaningful.

vCash
    WOW! Gkelly, you have 7 posts on one page! In the past I got dinged for having 5 on one page. I am not complaining though. There is freedom of speech/posting, AFAIK.

Returning to the topic, I basically agree with those who said that the judging system needs to be fixed, in various ways, and several suggestions have been made. I wish the ISU would take this issue more seriously than it has.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    I want to see the free program be extended in length in both men's and women's competition, with the same or FEWER "required" elements. This would really separate skaters in terms of skating skills, stamina, transitions, but also allow skaters determine their own strategy (rather than having the program layout dictated to you by the rules). Wasn't the men's free program 5 minutes at some point?
    If you want to drive away people from skating, having longer programs is the way to do it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    If you want to drive away people from skating, having longer programs is the way to do it.
    ITA, I think the frees are too long as it is, in terms of viewership it's a pain, the lower ranked skaters just repeat the same choreo twice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Again, there were THREE Grand Prix Finals with two long programs: 1999-2000, 2000-2001, and 2001-2002.
    I didn't mean to imply that the gp I was talking about was the only one. It is just the one that has stuck in my mind.

vCash
    Can you prove it? (Also I wonder who will actually be driven away --- skaters? audience? judges?)

The men's free skate was longer (5 minutes) at least in the 1980s. Did that drive people away?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    ITA, I think the frees are too long as it is, in terms of viewership it's a pain, the lower ranked skaters just repeat the same choreo twice.
    I'm an avid fan but freeskates, even of the top 5 skaters often bore me because they go on forever.

vCash
    ITA, I almost wish they would do away with the short and have more competitons.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I'm an avid fan but freeskates, even of the top 5 skaters often bore me because they go on forever.
    I don't know if it's a problem with length or content, but especially in Ladiezzz all the programs go on FOREVER. But again, I'm not sure it's really that they're too long or that in generally, they all look alike and unlike Men's tend to sound alike. At least once in a while in men's long you get someone who picks a jazzy or bombastic piece of music; ladies also tends to SOUND the same after a while.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    ITA, I almost wish they would do away with the short and have more competitons.
    Some proposals put forth by George Rossano: http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archi...20Petition.htm
    Excerpt:
    Second, one could apply a factor of 0.5 to the short program score to make the points in the short program half the weight of the points in the free skate. For every point a skater trails in the short program they would need only 1/2 point in the free skate to make up the difference. This would truly give the free skate twice the weight of the short program and still allow mobility to move up after the short.

Third, one could eliminate the short program entirely. Problem solved. Instead of having a best one-out-of-two playoff-like system we would have a one game super bowl, winner takes all.

The short program no longer serves the purpose it did in competition as when it was first introduced, so why keep it? Particularly when the short and long are now pretty much the same animal, with just different time limits. If one is to have two programs to determine the winner, it would be more interesting, in my opinion, to have a technical-only program and an artistic-only program to make up an event.
    Fixing the statistical accuracy of the system will be more difficult than fixing how the segment scores are combined, but is probably fixable if a serious effort was made to address it.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-11-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    His proposals are put forth under the title of that petition to award a gold medal to Ten

I´m curious about something. Is Ice Skating International actually international? Looking at some of the articles and there seems to be a heavy American bias to them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Some proposals put forth by George Rossano: http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archi...20Petition.htm
    Excerpt:
    Thanks for posting, I agree with most of his assessments.

vCash
    Re the thread in the Trash Can -

One thing they definitely should NOT be doing is taking down videos on YouTube. It's a great way to introduce new people to the sport and for fans to watch performances they cant see on TV. Making posters take them down just seems sooooooo STUPID!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234