Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Mao Asada indicates that she may retire after the 2014 Olympics

According to this article, Mao Asada indicates that she plans to retire after the Sochi Olympics. It reads:-

Asada, the Vancouver Olympic silver medalist, suggested.....she will retire from competition after the Sochi Winter Olympics.

vCash
    Yes, this was just reported here in the U.S. on NHK World Newsline on my cable channel - the very first time I have ever seen figure skating mentioned on this newscast!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yes, this was just reported here in the U.S. on NHK World Newsline on my cable channel - the very first time I have ever seen figure skating mentioned on this newscast!
    No wonder

vCash
    I saw it as a sign of respect for a great Japanese athlete and all her accomplishments to date.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Mao is such an eloquent skater. I've really enjoyed her skating. I feel so blessed to still be here and had the opportunity to see her skate. She has my deepest respect with whatever decision she makes.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    I'm really going to miss her. I thought she might stick around another 4 years as she seems to enjoy competing. It must be a big burden on her shoulders though and of course all of what she has gone through with losing her mother.

vCash
    Does the word "suggested" leave the door open? I was thinking that if she doesn't win gold at Sochi, she might go one more cycle, but maybe she is just ready to move on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Does the word "suggested" leave the door open? I was thinking that if she doesn't win gold at Sochi, she might go one more cycle, but maybe she is just ready to move on.
    Everyone already knows Mao's chances of even medalling are on the line, so I doubt that's gonna make any difference. If anything, winning another medal might encourage her to stay and do Tokyo Worlds at least.

Takahashi, Suzuki and Mao are leaving after Sochi, and Kanako has indicated in an interview that she wants to leave after Sochi season. Only Yuzuru will be left. There are some novice skaters that look promising, but even if they revive figure skating in Japan, some other country is going to have to provide the audience and money for at least five years until they come up.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Wishing Mao the best. Have loved her ever since she won the GPF in 05.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sonya71 View Post
    Everyone already knows Mao's chances of even medalling are on the line, so I doubt that's gonna make any difference. If anything, winning another medal might encourage her to stay and do Tokyo Worlds at least.

Takahashi, Suzuki and Mao are leaving after Sochi, and Kanako has indicated in an interview that she wants to leave after Sochi season. Only Yuzuru will be left. There are some novice skaters that look promising, but even if they revive figure skating in Japan, some other country is going to have to provide the audience and money for at least five years until they come up.
    Wow. I'm not only a little surprised that Mao will retire (probably) post Sochi. But, Kanako implying that she also wants to retire is actually more shocking news. I thought Kanako, who only became a senior in the '10- '11 season, would march on to Pyeongchang '18 and perhaps Mao would stay on at the behest of the JSF for a year or two after Sochi to continue to secure Japan's 3 spots and their legacy in ladies. If they both retire, Japan's ladies will disappear from the top ranks, at least briefly. Ando is probably already gone. Suzuki will definitely retire by the end of next season. Skaters like Imai and Ishikawa haven't delivered. Miyahara and Shoji have work to do to even begin filling the shoes of all the aforementioned top ladies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    Mao is such an eloquent skater. I've really enjoyed her skating. I feel so blessed to still be here and had the opportunity to see her skate. She has my deepest respect with whatever decision she makes.
    You spoke for me.

vCash
    From the AFP newswire article: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...re-after-sochi
    "At the moment, that is what I intend to do," Asada, the runner-up to South Korea's Kim Yu-Na in their Olympic debut at the 2010 Vancouver Games, told reporters when asked about her possible retirement after Sochi.

"I began to think about it little by little at the start of this year," the 22-year-old said as she prepared for an exhibition after the season-closing World Team Trophy competition in Tokyo.

"It is not because of my physical strength but I have considered many things."

"I want to do my last and my best skating on the big stage in Sochi. I have less than a year to go and I think I can use such a short period of time to get ready and give all I have for the last time," she said.

"I have been focused only on skating up to now and I will have to think of what I should do afterwards."

vCash

Mao Asada hinted the retirement after the Olympics

This is an article in "NHK" in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

April 13th, 2013
    The ace of Ladies single of figure skating, Mao Asada hinted the idea which retreats from the front line of the event after the season of Sochi Olympics next year.
    Asada clarified this after free skating of "the World Team Trophy" which was opened in Tokyo until the 13th.
    Asada who was heard about Sochi Olympics next year after performance spoke, saying "I would like to do my best so as to be able to do good performance as the compilation of myself because the maximum big stage is waiting ".
    Being asked from the press persons in another place after this, saying "Is it a meaning of the compilation of the skate life?" Asada hinted the idea which retreats from the front line of the event after the season of Sochi Olympics saying "I think so now. I am in such feelings now". 22 years old, Asada is playing an active part as the ace of the Ladies with the triple-Axel jump as the weapon, such as, having won the victories twice in the Worlds, having gotten the silver medal in Vancouver Olympics, so far.
    At present, she aims to win a medal in Sochi Olympics next year.

The article:
    Mao Asada hinted the retirement after the Olympics
    http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/2013...898041000.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Wow. I'm not only a little surprised that Mao will retire (probably) post Sochi. But, Kanako implying that she also wants to retire is actually more shocking news. I thought Kanako, who only became a senior in the '10- '11 season, would march on to Pyeongchang '18 and perhaps Mao would stay on at the behest of the JSF for a year or two after Sochi to continue to secure Japan's 3 spots and their legacy in ladies. If they both retire, Japan's ladies will disappear from the top ranks, at least briefly. Ando is probably already gone. Suzuki will definitely retire by the end of next season. Skaters like Imai and Ishikawa haven't delivered. Miyahara and Shoji have work to do to even begin filling the shoes of all the aforementioned top ladies.
    I think Kanako will probably carry on for another quad

vCash
    Not only Mao, Akiko, Miki, Kanako(probably), Dai, and Nobu, but also many of Japanese figure skating fans will disappear with them. It's clear ISU will lose their stars and sponsors after Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    Mao has a balletic style of skating which is very pleasant to watch. And of course, she's one of the top skaters. She will definitely be missed if she retires after Sochi. Her intention to retire is understandable. She's still young and very accomplished. I am sure she wants to do something else other than just figure skate. She has by virtue of her skating presence contributed much to the figure skating scene. I wish her the best in Sochi. Go Mao and good luck. Make your sayonara skate a most memorable one.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash

Asada Mao showed again the intention of the retirement after the Olympics

This is an article in "NHK" in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

Mao Asada showed again the intention of the retirement after the Olympics.
    April 14th, 2013

Mao Asada who ended this season did a press interview, and showed again the intention which she retires from the eligible skater after next season, saying "So as to be able to do the best skating in the last, my feelings are already heading to the Sochi Olympics of next year".

Asada who ended all events of this season with the international competition which was held until April 13th, attended the interview on April 14th. Asada showed again the intention which she retires from the eligible skater after next season, saying "So as to be able to do the best skating in the last because the Sochi Olympics of next year is a very big stage, my feelings is already heading to there". Also, as for having showed the intention of retirement in this time, she said, "I thought that I can concentrate all my last power to the period which is shorter than 1 year. I thought that, making my fan know that I am in such a feelings, I would like to get the cheering from my fan with same feelings".
    But, when she was heard about the trigger and the reason which she determined the retirement, she did no more than speak as follows.
    She said, "I got to think little by little because I experienced a various facts. In such a thinking, now I think that I would decide the Sochi as the last".
    After putting in the participation to the ice show and the short off season after this, Asada enters the preparation to decide the music of the program, to think of the choreography and so on for next season which Sochi Olympics is held.

I can understand her thinking, too, that Sochi is the end of one stage.

Daisuke Takahashi who is the ace of Men single and expressed the retirement after Sochi Olympics likewise said, "Because she was suffering in former season, she may have known the limit, too. But, I think that we can't know how she think really then, if the Sochi Olympics does not finish".

28 years old, Akiko Suzuki said, "Because she is playing an active part in the front line from the early time although she is young in the age, I think that she had felt a lot of pressure, too. Therefore I can understand her thinking, too, that Sochi is the end of one stage.
    Because it is that she decided, I would like to do the best together with her until then".
    Also, Hidehito Ito the chairperson of figure skating in Japan Skating Federation said, "I understand that it is the meaning of aiming at the Sochi Olympics intensively because I wasn't told clearly that she retires from the very person. I think that the wish which wants to put an end is that the very person decides after the Olympics has finished".

The article:
    Mao Asada showed again the intention of the retirement after the Olympics
    http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/2013...905981000.html
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 04-15-2013 at 02:03 PM.

vCash
    Am I the only one who kinda thinks "duh she's retiring"?

I am going to miss her. I hope she wins in Sochi but she and everyone else will need help from Kim and after what I saw in Canada this year, I dont think that type of relief is on the way. Mao has been around for a LONG time AND was at the top, declined and rose again to have setbacks, rebuild herself and is at the top again... she has truly had a fantastic career even if she retires today. She went through what will most likely be one of the biggest tragedies she'll every face in front of the public and came back with the grace and beauty that only she could. She will be missed...by me anyway.

vCash
    BTW, If she uses TAT again which i hope she does, i truly hope that Vampire music is out of the question... Ummm and also, no input from Tarasova on costumes...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    BTW, If she uses TAT again which i hope she does, i truly hope that Vampire music is out of the question... Ummm and also, no input from Tarasova on costumes...
    I think she said she is using Tarasova again for her LP and Lori for her SP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast