Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Pictures!! Pictures!!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    We don't have them yet because mine has to be sized. The guy said they'd be done later today, but Alf wanted to pick them up next week, so they definitely should be ready by then, haha.

vCash
    Congratulations Anita! The rings sound lovely.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    And this is why registries are fabulous things. Because I can decide what price I spend on a gift and then if one friend wants two silver forks, I can buy her that, while I can buy another friend a massage on her honeymoon, or dish towels. (My most recent gift was a ski rack- because that's what they wanted)
    I love buying all the random little crap that people put on their registries like spatulas and wine bottle pourers. They wanted it! For my sister's wedding, I waited until a day or two before and then bought up all the stuff that no one bought her. She was excited to get the mini whisk and stand mixer scraper

Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    So, what we had to do is limit the + ones. We decided that only married, engaged, or living together couples could bring a date.
    A good friend of mine did that, and since I've been single since the dawn of time, I didn't really care (no pressure to scare up a date!). But a mutual friend, also a singleton, was really offended that she didn't get a +1. She had invited her gay roommate before getting the invite.
    Last edited by vesperholly; 03-31-2013 at 07:50 PM.

vCash
    Mr. Habs and I were buying baby gear yesterday (found a great stroller and a diaper bag!) and got talked into doing a baby registry. We're not telling any of our friends or family... we don't want anyone to feel like they have to buy gifts for Mini-Habs. We only did a small registry to qualify for a bag of coupons and samples from the baby store, and I'm going to delete the registry online this afternoon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    A good friend of mine did that, and since I've been single since the dawn of time, I didn't really care (no pressure to scare up a date!). But a mutual friend, also a singleton, was really offended that she didn't get a +1. She had invited her gay roommate before getting the invite.
    I think it's better to not have to "scare up a date". And, the plus is that there will be others there without a date. It's like going to a High School Reunion without your spouse - more fun!

We do have an issue for the shower. I don't like to invite people who live far away, knowing they probably won't come. It's like saying - I know you won't come, but send a gift. So, we are not planning on inviting my husband's cousins to the shower, they live in western PA. We are inviting my husband's brother's wife (AKA, daughter's Aunt). Yesterday, my husband's brother was telling me that his wife was talking to his cousins about coming to the shower. We were not inviting the cousins. this puts me in a tough situation. I really have no relationship with them. We have people staying at our house, for the shower, who we are close to. I was planning on my SIL staying here. But, I don't have room for the cousins. And, quite frankly, don't want to have to entertain the extra people here. I don't know what to do. If I had not been told, they would not have been invited. I don't want 100 people at a shower!

vCash
    We do have an issue for the shower. I don't like to invite people who live far away, knowing they probably won't come. It's like saying - I know you won't come, but send a gift. So, we are not planning on inviting my husband's cousins to the shower, they live in western PA. We are inviting my husband's brother's wife (AKA, daughter's Aunt). Yesterday, my husband's brother was telling me that his wife was talking to his cousins about coming to the shower. We were not inviting the cousins. this puts me in a tough situation. I really have no relationship with them. We have people staying at our house, for the shower, who we are close to. I was planning on my SIL staying here. But, I don't have room for the cousins. And, quite frankly, don't want to have to entertain the extra people here. I don't know what to do. If I had not been told, they would not have been invited. I don't want 100 people at a shower!
    Ugh tell me about it. My mom has cousins she hasn't seen in years (and I've only seen once or twice), and lo and behold, they were offended when they didn't get an invite. My mom felt put on the spot, so she asked me to send them an invite.

I did, but didn't include a stamp for the RSVP postcard AND it was a week after the RSVP deadline. So I'm praying they won't show up.

If the cousins themselves don't express disappointment (like they did to my mom, directly), don't worry about it. You can't help what other people will say, and if they ask, tell them you didn't want to make them feel like they had to travel all the way just for a shower.

vCash
    I have a had a few friends who mailed shower and wedding "announcements", best I can tell someone drops them in the mail the day of the event. That way you are 'notified' of the happening, but it is also too late to send a gift. I live states away from most of my friends.

Habs you should just leave it up. People might ask you if you are registered somewhere, so you can get stuff you want. You don't have to offer the information. Besides, a lot of places have a 10% discount on anything that wasn't purchased after the baby is born.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    If the cousins themselves don't express disappointment (like they did to my mom, directly), don't worry about it. You can't help what other people will say, and if they ask, tell them you didn't want to make them feel like they had to travel all the way just for a shower.
    That's my thinking. They are invited to the wedding. But, I don't expect them to come all of the way out here for a shower. I don't know why my SIL is involving them before invites went out or asking me who is invited. These people did not come out for my shower (neither did SIL - and she was in the wedding), so I certainly didn't expect them for this one. My daughter is getting upset that so many people she doesn't know are invited. My husband doesn't get that I don't want to have to entertain virtual strangers, I want to enjoy my daughter's shower. I have enough to do already! He's always volunteering me to cook dinners for people.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I love buying all the random little crap that people put on their registries like spatulas and wine bottle pourers. They wanted it! For my sister's wedding, I waited until a day or two before and then bought up all the stuff that no one bought her. She was excited to get the mini whisk and stand mixer scraper
    A friend of ours did that. She got us the leftover measuring cups and spoons, a salad spinner, and a set of utensils. We still use them every day.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    I did that for a friend of my daughter's. I got her the garlic press/slicer and the more unusual gadgets she wanted from Williams Sonoma. Wrapped it up in a neat basket with dish towels and a recipe using most of the gadgets (it was also her favorite thing that i make ).

vCash
    He's always volunteering me to cook dinners for people.
    Maybe you should give him the apron and tell him to do the cooking?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    Maybe you should give him the apron and tell him to do the cooking?
    My thinking too.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I did that for a friend of my daughter's. I got her the garlic press/slicer and the more unusual gadgets she wanted from Williams Sonoma. Wrapped it up in a neat basket with dish towels and a recipe using most of the gadgets (it was also her favorite thing that i make ).
    What's the dish, if you are OK sharing it.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I think it's better to not have to "scare up a date". And, the plus is that there will be others there without a date. It's like going to a High School Reunion without your spouse - more fun!
    Actually, all the other people without a +1 were single women ... and a handful of male teenage cousins. So, that was a bust!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    What's the dish, if you are OK sharing it.
    Ribollita, I think I may have given the recipe before, so sorry if this is a duplicate. but, my pleasure:

1 - large red skinned onion (chopped)
    2 - carrots (diced)
    2 - sticks celery (chopped)
    4 - potatoes (diced)
    10 - zucchini (diced)
    1 - bunch swiss chard (chopped)
    1 - savoy cabbage (chopped)
    1 - bunch kale (chopped
    2 - leeks (chopped)
    11 - oz. white dried beans
    1 - 16 oz. can tomato puree (to your taste)
    1 - large loaf 2 day old (stale) Tuscan/Italian bread (not semolina)*
    If you want to speed it up, you can use fresher bread, just cut it up and put it in a 150º oven until it dries out.

Soak the beans and cook over a slow flame, according to package directions. In a large pot, gently fry the onion. When the onion is soft add the other vegetables, except the cabbage, kale, and beans (which you will add later). When the vegetables have sweated out their juices, cover with hot water, and add the cabbage and kale. Cover and simmer for about an hour over medium heat. Add the cooked beans (some whole and some pureed), salt and pepper (to taste). Leave to simmer for another 20 minutes (stirring frequently, so that the beans don’t stick to the bottom of the pot). Add the tomato puree (as much as you like, I like to use the whole can).
    The rest can be done two ways:
    1. You can use a large casserole dish and slice the stale bread and layer it with the
    soup, cover it and let it sit in the refrigerator over night, then re-heat it.
    2. (Which is the way I do it, because I can’t wait that long - lol) You can grind up the
    stale bread and mix it into the soup. The advantage to this method is that you can eat it right away. It is still better the next day, though!
    I like to drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil over the soup in the bowl and sprinkle it with a bit of grated romano cheese.

*Tuscan bread is made without salt. I've never been able to find it in the US. The lack of salt makes the bread denser and gives it a different flavor. You can either make your own bread or substitute with a dense, rustic bread. It will have a slightly different flavor, but it is still amazing!
    Cute article, with a recipe, on Tuscan bread: http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-d...can-bre-126519

Actually, all the other people without a +1 were single women ... and a handful of male teenage cousins. So, that was a bust!
    We're pretty lucky, in that, the single boys will be about the same as the single girls.
    Last edited by cruisin; 04-01-2013 at 02:09 PM.

vCash
    So the relatives that fished for invites from my mom and she guilt-tripped me into sending them invites 1 week after the RSVP date...they're coming to the wedding. At least I could be reminded of who they were, because they are definitely not close to me. (I only remember relatives by the names of their kids...)

A bitter part of me hopes they'll give big because of this last-minute invite thing. I seriously do not need any more surprises that are only indirectly related to the actual planning itself. But at the very least, they'll keep my nosy aunt occupied so she won't bother me when she's here! And a number of people aren't coming so it isn't like we'll be paying more than our original catering estimate...But fishing for invites still pisses me off!
    Last edited by Anita18; 04-03-2013 at 08:06 AM.

vCash
    One of my aunts fished for invites for all six of her sons (yes, she had six boys, no girls), cousins I had not seen in 5+ years and whose wives and children I had for the most part not met at all. So we gave in and sent out the invites. Only one bothered to respond with a no RSVP and one other sent a gift but no rsvp. None of them came (although we didn't expect it due to distance) and to top it all off, their invite fishing mother decided she couldn't make it either at the last minute.

Fun times.

Hope your fishing relatives do better than that!

vCash
    That reminds me, I need to buy a gift for my cousin's wedding!

When people invite you to destination weddings (this year we've been invited to Costa Rica and St. Thomas by cousins on both sides of the family) do they expect you to come? Or do they hold the wedding there so people won't come?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    That reminds me, I need to buy a gift for my cousin's wedding!

When people invite you to destination weddings (this year we've been invited to Costa Rica and St. Thomas by cousins on both sides of the family) do they expect you to come? Or do they hold the wedding there so people won't come?
    I think they honestly want you to come, but don't expect it. They realize that it is expensive and that not everyone can afford to spend the money or take time off from work. What I wonder is what the rules are for gifts at destination weddings. If you've already spent hundreds of dollars, just attending, what do you do for a gift? Or is your presence the gift?

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast