Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesalchows View Post
    Years ago I worked at Macy's in the Fine China department. Once a couple came in and wanted to know if they could get more waterford stickers because the little stickers had washed off the stemware they had received as a wedding gift. When I told them those were to be removed before using and were not meant to be permanent, they wanted to know how they guests would know they were drinking out of Waterford?
    Not that guests need to know they are drinking from Waterford crystal, but there is an etched Waterford mark on all of their crystal. No need for the sticker .

I no longer lile my fine china choice. but, I do use it for holidays and dinners with guests. So, I'm glad I have it. Just wish I knew in my 20's what I would like when I was older .

vCash
    My knowledge about crystals is very limited and I'm only familiar with Swarovski crystals... Are Waterford crystals better than Swarovski crystals?

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    My knowledge about crystals is very limited and I'm only familiar with Swarovski crystals... Are Waterford crystals better than Swarovski crystals?
    I've definitely heard of Waterford for formal hosting use, but not Swarovski. I associate Swarovski as the stuff they use for jewelry when they can't afford diamonds.

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    AFAIK, man made crystal is any glass enhanced with lead for greater clarity and shine and hardness, I think. They probably don't use lead anymore though.

You can also cut crystal like a diamond. Swarovski cuts crystals to animals and jewelry, Waterford make stemware, plates and stuff, which is cut too, to add sparkle. Images of Waterford.

you can also have crystal glasses that are not cut, they usually can be made thinner and have a better shine and sound. We have some Riedel wine glasses, which is simple in the design, but are crystal (no dishwasher). I personally don't like Waterford, as I find it too opulent, but tastes are different. I wouldn't mind a Waterford cake stand, though .
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

vCash
    I did google Waterford and did not mean to imply that it is a set of China... And no, I have not heard of people returning wedding gifts to the store (do you need receipts for that?).
    Of course people return gifts to the store where they were purchased (with a gift receipt). I returned many of the gifts my mother's friends gave us to the Geary's store where I was registered, and I used the credit from those gifts to fill in the missing place settings for my china. By buying 8 place settings, I also got all of the serving pieces (vegetable bowls, meat platter, salt and pepper, creamer) for free. It was a Lenox promotion. I was also able to purchase more of my Waterford crystal water and wine glasses. Even though I use my china and crystal only a couple of times per year for holiday dinners, I enjoy having them on display in a breakfront china cabinet in my dining room.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I think part of the idea of china or crystal as a wedding gift is that it's exactly what a young couple on a budget would not buy for themselves, but would eventually need when they hosted family dinners and had ladies in for bridge and tea. My MIL told me that when she got married in the 50s, her mother insisted she pick a pattern so that she had something for when she hosted her husband's boss for dinner

Plus in theory unlike a toaster that you have to replace eventually, china and crystal should last for life, and be passed down to daughters and granddaughters.

A bit outdated now of course, but some people still enjoy pretty things, and tradition, and quality, and the things that last.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    and had ladies in for bridge and tea.
    Do people still do this? When we have people (not ladies, mixed sex) over for game night, we usually have beer or margaritas...

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I was speaking of the past.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I was speaking of the past.
    Sorry, reading comprhension fail on my part.

vCash
    maatTheViking answered that for you. Waterford also makes chandeliers and lamp bases. They mostly make glasses, candy dishes, serving plates, bowls, salt & pepper shakers, decanters, and some decorative art pieces. Swarovski makes crystals for decorating garments, handbags, eyeglasses - flat back and hot fix, crystals for jewelry, and decorative pieces. Waterford is almost always clear crystal, though they have a lesser priced line called Marquise that has some colored pieces. Swarovski is known for brilliant color, as well as clear crystal. Waterford started in Ireland and was considered the best stem wear crystal. Though most of it is now made in Slovenia, Czech Republic, and Germany. Swarovski is made in Austria.

Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    AFAIK, man made crystal is any glass enhanced with lead for greater clarity and shine and hardness, I think. They probably don't use lead anymore though.
    That piqued my interest, and I did a Google search. It seems that they do still use lead. For non-serving pieces, it's harmless. For drinking glasses, it's benign. However, never store liquids in lead crystal decanters. You can serve it in a decanter, but pour it out immediately after. Liquid that is in the crystal for an extended period of time is where the lead becomes an issue. I would also not keep perfume in a lead crystal perfume atomizer.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Waterford started in Ireland and was considered the best stem wear crystal. Though most of it is now made in Slovenia, Czech Republic, and Germany.
    It was? I always thought Baccarat and Lalique were better. Maybe it's just the cutting - Waterford tends toward "heavy" patterns.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Different makers/artisans have different styles of blowing/cutting crystal.
    One manufacturer isn't necessarily "better" than another.
    It's a matter of personal preference.

Waterford now has several more contemporary lines, in addition to their traditional patterns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    It was? I always thought Baccarat and Lalique were better. Maybe it's just the cutting - Waterford tends toward "heavy" patterns.
    I always forget that Baccarat and Lalique make stemware. I always think of them more as art pieces.

I have Waterford water and wine for 8, and 6 flutes. Wish I had the full 12, but they don't make my pattern anymore, it's called Kildare. I have 6 Lismore brandies. There is something lovely about the weight and the way the warmth from your hand warms the brandy in heavy crystal.
    Last edited by cruisin; 03-27-2013 at 09:15 PM.

vCash
    I always include a gift receipt. That way the person can return it, and I don't have to know .
    I do that too.

BTW I try to buy what the couple would like - before registries people would ask the parents/families what the couple wanted. If they weren't picking out chrystal, silver flatware, or china then I wouldn't buy them Waterford. In my younger days nearly everyone would actually use their nice things. My mother served every Sunday dinner & all holiday meals on fine china & silver flatware - with 6 kids yet! My mother believed that you don't "save the nice for company", she thought her family was pretty special.

Quote Originally Posted by KCC View Post
    Anyone here looking for Lenox china, Lowel pattern?
    I would love it if it came in silver instead of gold. I gave my sisters some Lenox serving pieces for Christmas this year - I guess we're all living in the past.

BTW, I still have ladies in to play bridge (but not tea) and I use my nice serving pieces.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    My mother served every Sunday dinner & all holiday meals on fine china & silver flatware - with 6 kids yet! My mother believed that you don't "save the nice for company", she thought her family was pretty special.
    I love that!

vCash
    I have Waterford water and wine for 8, and 6 flutes. Wish I had the full 12, but they don't make my pattern anymore, it's called Kildare. I have 6 Lismore brandies. There is something lovely about the weight and the way the warmth from your hand warms the brandy in heavy crystal.
    Try this website to get replacements or to add to an existing collection. They have some of your pieces.

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/WATKIL.htm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    Swarovski cuts crystals to animals and jewelry, Waterford make stemware, plates and stuff, which is cut too, to add sparkle.
    maatTheViking answered that for you. Waterford also makes chandeliers and lamp bases. They mostly make glasses, candy dishes, serving plates, bowls, salt & pepper shakers, decanters, and some decorative art pieces. Swarovski makes crystals for decorating garments, handbags, eyeglasses - flat back and hot fix, crystals for jewelry, and decorative pieces.
    Swarovski has some glasses and bowls too... Swarovski's small collection.

The price is $600 for a vase or $415 for a set of two wine glasses

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KCC View Post
    Try this website to get replacements or to add to an existing collection. They have some of your pieces.

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/WATKIL.htm
    Thanks, will check that out!

Swarovski has some glasses and bowls too... Swarovski's small collection.

The price is $600 for a vase or $415 for a set of two wine glasses
    That's right, I think I did see those glasses in a Swarovski store. I just never thought of them as really in the glassware business. Those stems are gorgeous, but not practical. and $$$$$

vCash
    taf, I'm with you -- and your mother!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Wedding bands - acquired! We went to the mom-and-pop jewelry store we got the engagement ring at. Yay for local businesses! Alf went with brushed metal with a shiny bevel (he is definitely not a shiny guy...), and I went with teeny channel-set diamonds. The plain band was too plain, and bigger diamonds were too blingy. I think teeny channel-set-ones will be just right!

I'm just glad we could actually get this done before the wedding, since Alf was a good boy in recovery and no longer requires a cast for his recently-broken left wrist.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast