Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 329
  1. #221
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,804
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I like them!!!

  2. #222
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    10,983
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Anita they are lovely!

  3. #223

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,414
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    38295
    They are, indeed.

  4. #224

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    80511
    Absolutely beautiful!
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

  5. #225
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,980
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Beautiful! Wear them with love, health, and great happiness.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    I like them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Anita they are lovely!
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    They are, indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Absolutely beautiful!
    Thank you!


    Another piece of happy news: my coworker who's gravely ill in France just emailed me and said he's up for Skype-crashing the wedding! He can only think week-to-week, but he's aiming for next Saturday!

    Now, to either get Skype to work on my coworker's Android with unlimited data, or to recruit my sister's uber-hackery bf to tether something with his iPhone...But we are going to make this happen!

  6. #226
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    7,487
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Another piece of happy news: my coworker who's gravely ill in France just emailed me and said he's up for Skype-crashing the wedding! He can only think week-to-week, but he's aiming for next Saturday!
    Awesome I think he'll make it. My aunt's cancer spread to her lungs in January 2009, but she held on for my sister's wedding that August and died in November. She always said she'd never miss the wedding.

  7. #227
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,036
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30931
    It's amazing that people can will themselves to live for something while so ill, isn't it?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  8. #228
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,804
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Thank you!


    Another piece of happy news: my coworker who's gravely ill in France just emailed me and said he's up for Skype-crashing the wedding! He can only think week-to-week, but he's aiming for next Saturday!

    Now, to either get Skype to work on my coworker's Android with unlimited data, or to recruit my sister's uber-hackery bf to tether something with his iPhone...But we are going to make this happen!
    Oh, I'm so happy for you (and him) Anita... I wanted to ask about this but was afraid there was bad news. So glad

  9. #229
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,130
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Anita, that would be wonderful. I'll send good thoughts to France for your friend.

  10. #230

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,414
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    38295
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    It's amazing that people can will themselves to live for something while so ill, isn't it?
    The will can be a beautiful thing,
    Good luck with all of the technical issues.

  11. #231
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,744
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    So I just got home from a wedding that included an interpretive dance. As part of the ceremony.

  12. #232

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    920
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4110
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    So I just got home from a wedding that included an interpretive dance. As part of the ceremony.
    Not by the bride and groom though, right?

  13. #233
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,929
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    32795
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    So I just got home from a wedding that included an interpretive dance. As part of the ceremony.
    that sounds awesomely awful

    one of my favorite weddings I've attended had the officiant do a live rendition of "Sweet Transvestite" in full Frank N Furter drag after the ceremony (with the bride, groom, and wedding party providing backup). Officiant wore a suit to do the ceremony though
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

  14. #234
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,744
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KCC View Post
    Not by the bride and groom though, right?
    No. It was done around them, though. As they sat in their yellow chairs under the spotlight which is where they were for most of the ceremony which was basically a theatrical production in a black box theatre. The program even read as such. They starred as "The Bride" and "The Groom". Both in quotes which bothered the English teacher part of me.

    The groom's sister, allegedly a professional ballerina, performed the dance. It was mostly tendus and arm waving and rapid running in circles around the "happy couple". I have taken about a year and a half of adult beginning ballet and am fairly certain I could have performed that choreography. We were told it was symbolic of the music that the bride and groom heard in their heads before they met and how they found each other across a room and began to dance because their music was the same. The ceremony also included their mothers each having a turn reading a rather eulogy like tribute to their respective children. The bride (the theatre person of the pair) sat there making very large and dramatic and possibly rehearsed facial expressions in response to everything. The vows were all about having adventures and being fans and finding mischief. (Good luck with that sustaining a marriage in the long term). I cannot even begin to describe the music. Most pop songs common at weddings do not translate well when performed as operatic arias by Miss Iowa (and we knew she was formerly Miss Iowa thanks to the bios on the back of the "playbill"). There were also costume changes for the dancer and the officiant (the bride's sister ordained on the web last month). And they tied a knot in some rope to symbolize the unity of the community. At the end, her sister pronounced them "a happy couple".

    And the reception was in the theatre lobby which does not have room for tables, chairs or people to do anything but go into the theatre. There was apparently "entertainment". But we didn't stay long enough for that. A picture on FB this morning appears as if their dog was involved in the entertainment.

  15. #235

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Skating in a Canadian beautiful way
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,740
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    12279
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    No. It was done around them, though. As they sat in their yellow chairs under the spotlight which is where they were for most of the ceremony which was basically a theatrical production in a black box theatre. The program even read as such. They starred as "The Bride" and "The Groom". Both in quotes which bothered the English teacher part of me.

    The groom's sister, allegedly a professional ballerina, performed the dance. It was mostly tendus and arm waving and rapid running in circles around the "happy couple". I have taken about a year and a half of adult beginning ballet and am fairly certain I could have performed that choreography. We were told it was symbolic of the music that the bride and groom heard in their heads before they met and how they found each other across a room and began to dance because their music was the same. The ceremony also included their mothers each having a turn reading a rather eulogy like tribute to their respective children. The bride (the theatre person of the pair) sat there making very large and dramatic and possibly rehearsed facial expressions in response to everything. The vows were all about having adventures and being fans and finding mischief. (Good luck with that sustaining a marriage in the long term). I cannot even begin to describe the music. Most pop songs common at weddings do not translate well when performed as operatic arias by Miss Iowa (and we knew she was formerly Miss Iowa thanks to the bios on the back of the "playbill"). There were also costume changes for the dancer and the officiant (the bride's sister ordained on the web last month). And they tied a knot in some rope to symbolize the unity of the community. At the end, her sister pronounced them "a happy couple".

    And the reception was in the theatre lobby which does not have room for tables, chairs or people to do anything but go into the theatre. There was apparently "entertainment". But we didn't stay long enough for that. A picture on FB this morning appears as if their dog was involved in the entertainment.
    That sounds epic!

  16. #236

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,414
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    38295
    ^^^
    A "new age" ceremony?
    I'm all for modern touches; but, prefer a little more tradition than that.

  17. #237
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,744
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    That sounds epic!
    Oh, it was.

    I truly went just for the entertainment. The bride is an acquaintance of mine as are both of her parents and her mother is a good friend of my mother-in-law. I was my sister-in-law's plus one. My mother-in-law, the friend who was her plus one (father-in-law didn't want to go near this, he is very traditional), and I were enjoying the absurdity of it all, while sister-in-law (as my husband predicted) was all weepy and proclaiming it the greatest wedding ever.

  18. #238

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    920
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4110
    Wow..... While I am glad that the couple made their ceremony "their own", I think it would have been hard for me to keep from laughing. And I think I would have stayed for the entertainment, just out of curiosity. Please try to find out more about how the dog fit into it.

    I will not complain ever again about my family's weddings.

  19. #239
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,980
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I would have loved to see that kind of offbeat wedding.

  20. #240
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,744
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    ^^^
    A "new age" ceremony?
    I'm all for modern touches; but, prefer a little more tradition than that.
    I totally agree with you. Tradition with some twists is often a good thing. Turning the whole wedding into a performance is just odd. My MiL couldn't believe there was no "I do/will" and they just put their own rings on after the sister rambled about intertwining circles for awhile. The word "intertwining" was used excessively throughout to the point that I wanted to giggle.

    The bride's mother used some humor in her "tribute" talk. Then she felt bad and asked us if we thought it was inappropriate at the reception. She had been told it was to be "solemn". I told her this thing needed some levity, her response, "true, and people needed an excuse to laugh since I followed THAT DANCE".

    A lot of the "ceremony" would have been lovely in a different context. The words from the mothers would have been nice at a rehearsal dinner or in shortened form as a toast at the reception. And the theatrical touches (since the bride works in theatre) would have been cute in the context of just the reception--having a "playbill" with the menu or something like that. But in the way they did it, it was all just over the top.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •