Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Hope you have a lovely wedding Anita, I LOVED my wedding.. its was almost 27 years ago and it was totally my wedding with my rules.. no showers allowed (just a girls bachelorette night out).. no 'rules' at the reception.. presents optional and certainly not expected (a lot of our friends were poor students at the time).. we paid for it ourselves so cash bar (not going to add to our young friends drinking habits ).. and saved our money for a fantastic honey moon (toured the States in our old Camero for a month) a combination of camping and hotels.. my hubby was great that it was all about 'my' day.. and parents were clearly informed to enjoy the ride but I was driving Upon reflection I think the issue is that each bride has the wedding she wants.. be it cheapo like ours.. or the price of a house deposit.. because memories really are priceless
    Last edited by 4rkidz; 04-04-2013 at 10:20 PM.
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post

What bothers me is people (no one here) who say they can't afford to get married. Or who think that a wedding has to be an extravagant affair with hundreds of unknown guests. No, it really just needs three people, and maybe a couple of witnesses.
    I think I might have said it upthread, but I can't afford to get married right now, not the way my bf and I want to anyway. While I agree that weddings don't have to be all about the hoopla and extravagance, we don't want that type of wedding anyway. With a baby on the way, my possibly taking up to 6 months off of work, and buying a condo, we just can't afford it right now. Both of us come from very close knit families, and we both have close friends that we want to share the day with. I don't see what the big deal is about stating the fact that we're waiting a few years to get married, due to finiancial reasons

From the Bloc
    vCash
    cruisin, I think you are being overly defensive, somewhat understandable as your daughter clearly means a great deal to you and you are a good mom. Maybe if you read the rest of the post again with my assurances that I truly meant to offer encouraging positive advice for all couples planning to get married you'll see that I wish your daughter well too.

vCash
    4rkids - 40 years ago, the wedding showers were not really for me (I mean they were, but) it was that my friends and my mother-in-law thought they were important and necessary. All the stupid games too. Our reception was in the church - no alcohol mostly due to the fact that we were 21 and 20. It was a miracle that we didn't kill each other during out honeymoon. We left following the reception.

• Lost hubcaps on his mother's car while driving to the hotel, which meant we had to double back to find them.
    • The first day of our travels, he didn't stop for lunch. I tend to get rather irritable (down right angry due to low blood sugar) when I don't eat and kept waiting for a stop.
    • Got stopped at border because we didn't declare something - asked if we were going to leave anything in Canada and said no. Border patrol didn't understand why we had gifts in the car
    • Traveled to Winnipeg - a lovely city -and the hotel we stayed at for the first couple of days had a fire and we needed to evacuate the building. I didn't believe him when he said we needed to get out until he opened the door so I could hear the alarms.
    • Lost his wedding ring after 5 days of marriage - left in a hotel.
    • Got lost in the wilds of Canada - seriously, took the wrong highway and had a difficult time finding a place to stop
    • Got lost in Michigan on the way home. I drove his mother's car into the ditch (actually ran off the interstate avoiding a hazard).
    • Other driving issues in Chicago. And when we finally got home discovered all those rolls and rolls of pictures we took were blank - the camera was broken didn't know it.

Going back to a normal work/school routine is probably the thing that saved our marriage.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Your original post came across rather negative. I had mentioned that my daughter and her fiancee were waiting to take their honeymoon. You said this: That would certainly imply that people who don't take a honeymoon right after their wedding are not headed for a happy marriage. You may not have meant that, but that is how it came across. Not going on a honeymoon immediately after the wedding hardly means that the relationship doesn't matter. I simply means that the two people, who make up the couple, have decided that it will work better for their needs to wait. That is respecting each other.
    What cruisin said. And yeah, I'm defensive since I'm the one in this thread gettin married in under 3 weeks with no honeymoon planned until August.

But I get what Jenny means about taking time for each other. For us, that time will be 7 hours Sunday afternoon as we drive back down after the wedding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley0884 View Post
    I think I might have said it upthread, but I can't afford to get married right now, not the way my bf and I want to anyway. While I agree that weddings don't have to be all about the hoopla and extravagance, we don't want that type of wedding anyway. With a baby on the way, my possibly taking up to 6 months off of work, and buying a condo, we just can't afford it right now. Both of us come from very close knit families, and we both have close friends that we want to share the day with. I don't see what the big deal is about stating the fact that we're waiting a few years to get married, due to finiancial reasons
    Nah, I think your situation is totally understandable. For me when it gets tacky is when people whine about not having enough money to do all the "hoopla and extravagance", as you described, and then start throwing things like jack and jill parties, because they want their big fancy wedding NOW.

One of my good friends is getting married in a few weeks from Richmond, where her fiance's family lives. Unfortunately that's about an 8 hour drive from here, and with all of us being busy and poor grad students, that means the vast majority of us will not be able to make it. One of the invitees has other family in the area, so she does plan on attending, and the rest of us agreed to pool together money and get her something nice off of her registry, that the one attendee can bring up with her. The bride was very understanding about this and said that she'd hadn't expected too many of us to be able to make it, but didn't want us to feel left out.

vCash
    I personally think getting married is about showing a commitment to each other, and you don't need to celebrate with your friends or family - you could do that later, in my mind. But, then again, people have such different ideas about weddings, so it makes sense other people feel differently!

as for the honeymoon, I think there is something fun about doing something as 'newly weds'. But I think it can be as simple as a night or two in a hotel where nobody bothers you .
    We ended up going on a long trip (2 weeks) before the wedding to Ireland, and then a short honeymoon (4 days) right after the wedding to Hamburg. My parents gifted us the train tickets and a very nice hotel. I was fun!

I don't think what you do is an indicator of the marriage - it only is if you don't agree on what to do, maybe .

I think it is interesting that people have so many different ideas - but then again, our most expensive thing for the wedding was the dinner, we both love good food. Most other weddings we have been to have really bland food, I find, but then people might spend more on what is important to them. As long as people do that, so they will get a day to remember one way of the other, that is what is should be like. And as wedding guests we should try and respect the choices
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    We had our honeymoon a week after the wedding for two reasons:
    1. We wanted to attend a friend's wedding the following weekend
    2. I couldn't fathom dealing with a hasty departure right after the wedding.

It felt too much for me--I am very easily overwhelmed with these things. The wedding prep, the wedding itself which was fairly big, left me longing for normalcy. We were both back at work the following week and I was never happier to be back in my routine. After the friend's wedding we were off to our honeymoon--several weeks in Italy, meticulously researched.

I had the time of my life.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    We went to Hawaii a day after our wedding. We got married on Saturday, left on Monday. Sunday morning, I woke up with a 105º fever. We called the Dr. he put me on Tetracycline (never told me it would make me photosensitive) and said I should go ahead to Hawaii. I was miserable on the plane, felt better once we got there. Wound up with sun poisoning since I didn't know I should stay out of the sun on the meds. Hawaii was beautiful, but it was an adventure. Since them, we've been to Hawaii 2 more times. The 2nd time it rained for the entire 2 weeks we were there. That was when they had the severe flooding in Kauai, a river went over it's banks and took out roads and homes - we were there then. The 3rd time was when the Tsunami hit Japan and we were evacuated in Maui. I think we should stay away from Hawaii !

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    4rkids - 40 years ago, the wedding showers were not really for me (I mean they were, but) it was that my friends and my mother-in-law thought they were important and necessary. All the stupid games too. Our reception was in the church - no alcohol mostly due to the fact that we were 21 and 20. It was a miracle that we didn't kill each other during out honeymoon. We left following the reception.
    Going back to a normal work/school routine is probably the thing that saved our marriage.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    We had our honeymoon a week after the wedding for two reasons:
    1. We wanted to attend a friend's wedding the following weekend
    2. I couldn't fathom dealing with a hasty departure right after the wedding.

It felt too much for me--I am very easily overwhelmed with these things. The wedding prep, the wedding itself which was fairly big, left me longing for normalcy. We were both back at work the following week and I was never happier to be back in my routine. After the friend's wedding we were off to our honeymoon--several weeks in Italy, meticulously researched.

I had the time of my life.
    We went to Hawaii a day after our wedding. We got married on Saturday, left on Monday. Sunday morning, I woke up with a 105º fever. We called the Dr. he put me on Tetracycline (never told me it would make me photosensitive) and said I should go ahead to Hawaii. I was miserable on the plane, felt better once we got there. Wound up with sun poisoning since I didn't know I should stay out of the sun on the meds. Hawaii was beautiful, but it was an adventure. Since them, we've been to Hawaii 2 more times. The 2nd time it rained for the entire 2 weeks we were there. That was when they had the severe flooding in Kauai, a river went over it's banks and took out roads and homes - we were there then. The 3rd time was when the Tsunami hit Japan and we were evacuated in Maui. I think we should stay away from Hawaii !
    See this is what I meant about memories being priceless.. Numbers - Winnipeg?? Really LOL.. thanks for sharing.. I am sure Anita will make her own memories
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    True--the memories are priceless.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Yeah, stay away from Hawaii the last week of August, please.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Well don't go to Arizona when I am there. I have been three times, and each time it has rained. I mean serious rain, and I'm from Vancouver so I know rain! I know people who have been going every year for years and they have never had a drop of rain ... I must be cursed (or related to Cruisin )
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Don't worry, we're done with Hawaii. It's too long a flight from the east coast. If I'm going to fly that far, I'd rather go to Europe where there are things to do when it rains .

Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Well don't go to Arizona when I am there. I have been three times, and each time it has rained. I mean serious rain, and I'm from Vancouver so I know rain! I know people who have been going every year for years and they have never had a drop of rain ... I must be cursed (or related to Cruisin )
    I don't cause weather issues in Arizona, just Hawaii So, no worries for the people of AZ, if I go there. But, it might not be me, both times my husband was there...Hmmmm!

vCash
    I'm in the middle of the final weeks of classes, not to mention work (with a very understanding boss) with 2.5 more weeks until the wedding, and I CANNOT imagine planning a honeymoon on top of it! It would break me.

My aunt donated her numerous Marriott points for us to take a honeymoon at the end of the summer to Kauai. IIRC my best friend hasn't take a honeymoon yet, and they've been married a year.

Alf did say we could do a short mini-honeymoon after my classes are done. We'll probably rent a small RV and go to Joshua Tree or something. It still wouldn't be an immediate trip, because I still have 2 weeks of classes after the wedding, but it's still sooner than August.
    We didn't have a honeymoon. We had two nights at the Hilton in Omaha. The one across from the arena, for those of you who may have been at Nats. It is about 40 minutes from our house. My husband had changed jobs just prior to our wedding after six months of drama after his previous employer burnt down the business in an insurance scam (only found out for sure that the employer was involved recently when there was an indictment). He was not even supposed to be allowed time off at the new job but they made and exception and gave him three days unpaid for our wedding.

He is underemployed there and I became underemployed a year later. We actually still have not been on any trip by ourselves for longer than two days for the entire life of our relationship. We were planning a four day getaway in May in which we would go some place and not stay with friends for the first time ever...and now it looks like there will be mandatory overtime and no leave at his job until June.

Yet our marriage has survived just fine. It is the only stable and secure and happy thing in our lives, actually. Honeymoons do not make a marriage. The most extravagant honeymooners among my circle of friends was the couple who is now divorced after a ten year marriage in which they lived separate lives for eight.

vCash
    Hawaii was beautiful, but it was an adventure. Since them, we've been to Hawaii 2 more times. The 2nd time it rained for the entire 2 weeks we were there. That was when they had the severe flooding in Kauai, a river went over it's banks and took out roads and homes - we were there then. The 3rd time was when the Tsunami hit Japan and we were evacuated in Maui. I think we should stay away from Hawaii !
    Haha, we were on Kauai at the same time! We were on Spring break when a dam broke and the severe flooding washed out the only main road around the island (no way to get to the airport). We had plenty of food and gassed up the car in Princeville, so it was fine with us to hang out in our beautiful rental home for days. We have been to Kauai many times and it is not unusual to have rain in March, but the 30" we got in 10 days has made me think twice about going there again in March. We'll go back for sure because this is our favorite island, but maybe during a different month. The other island quirk that we had to plan for was driving to/from our rental home past Hanalei, because during heavy rains the bridge between Hanalei and Princeville (over the Hanalei River) floods as the tide comes in, so you have to drive over it during low tide. It's all just part of the charm of Kauai . And it keeps the tour buses away!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    Haha, we were on Kauai at the same time! We were on Spring break when a dam broke and the severe flooding washed out the only main road around the island (no way to get to the airport). We had plenty of food and gassed up the car in Princeville, so it was fine with us to hang out in our beautiful rental home for days. We have been to Kauai many times and it is not unusual to have rain in March, but the 30" we got in 10 days has made me think twice about going there again in March. We'll go back for sure because this is our favorite island, but maybe during a different month. The other island quirk that we had to plan for was driving to/from our rental home past Hanalei, because during heavy rains the bridge between Hanalei and Princeville (over the Hanalei River) floods as the tide comes in, so you have to drive over it during low tide. It's all just part of the charm of Kauai . And it keeps the tour buses away!
    We were in Maui for the first week, the rain was just as bad there. This was 6 years ago, I believe. I remember there was a problem at Waikiki, as well. Something about the water quality (maybe a sewage line broke?). We were in Maui for a convention, so there was a lot to do for that, and we were with a lot of friends. But, we had decided to spend an extra week on Kauai. We stayed on the south eastern part of the island (I want to say Poipu, but not sure), but did drive up to Princeville. I remember seeing all of the destruction on the drive up to Princeville. I also remember talking to a lot of the people who live there who were having to get out of their homes due to severe mildew problems. They said that March is typically more rainy, especially on Kauai. But that they usually get about 6" of rain for the month, that month they got 32". Another memory is that the streets were littered with dead frogs ! Apparently they live in the foliage along the roadways, those areas were flooded and the frogs were going into the streets and getting run over. Happy Memory!

vCash
    Poor froggies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    Pictures!! Pictures!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Congratulations Anita! The rings sound lovely.
    Picture!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8vw81r575...ddingbands.jpg

vCash
    Beautiful! Wear them with love, health, and great happiness.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast