Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 329
  1. #41

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    10,724
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33043
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    But why would they be against it?
    Some people are just that way -- my sister hates to be the center of attention at any event. She even refused to walk down the aisle at her wedding (I think that was mainly nerves because she didn't think she'd make it to the altar without stumbling). But in general, she isn't keen on most social events -- especially if she is in any way singled out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    People play games at showers?

    I already dictated no games at the wedding reception,
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Does anyone think they are fun? I hate shower games, and quite honestly I avoid showers like the plague because of them.
    Games at a wedding reception? That's new to me. We just had a ton of drinking, dancing, and eating. (I've been to a few with 'dollar dances', which I usually do to give them a buck, but am not a fan of at all.)
    You mean none of you have ever enjoyed endured a game of Bride Bingo? (I actually found one of these at a rummage sale and bought it for 50 cents because it was so retro and wacky.)
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

  2. #42
    Sexy Superhero
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Running Amok
    Posts
    932
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    My horse trainer LOVES showers. She tries to be the ones to throw baby & wedding showers for when the ladies at her barn needs one.
    Now that I am having my second baby, her first statement upon hearing it was 'oh, we need to have another baby shower - it will be so much fun!!'. I told her that I didn't need anything! Now that I know the sex is the same as my first, she finally relented that 'we will do a pre-baby ladies lunch for you, then. I promise it will not be a shower'.

    I think personally second baby showers are a bit tacky, I am so relieved I talked her out of it
    What we like to do for second babies is to throw a diaper shower. No gifts allowed except diapers of varying sizes to last the mom throughout the first year.

  3. #43
    engaged to dupa
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven for climate, Hell for company.
    Posts
    18,917
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1084
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post


    You mean none of you have ever enjoyed endured a game of Bride Bingo? (I actually found one of these at a rummage sale and bought it for 50 cents because it was so retro and wacky.)
    I would have bought that, too.
    3539 and counting.

    Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11,004
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Games at a wedding reception? That's new to me. We just had a ton of drinking, dancing, and eating. (I've been to a few with 'dollar dances', which I usually do to give them a buck, but am not a fan of at all.)
    We went to one where the couple stood on stage (yeah seriously, Alf and I are not standing up on no stages!) and the bride had to pass a raw egg up and down the groom's pant legs. Without cracking it, obviously. We took a look at the groom's mother during the exercise, and she was mortified. They went around the tables collecting red envelopes, and some people made the bride pick the envelopes out of the groom's pants. Classy stuff.

    My mother was apparently guest to a wedding where the groom was blindfolded and had to find his bride by touching every female guest. Supposedly it's only supposed to be the face, but....yeah.

    We're so low key, we're not even going to have dancing. Just eat, chat, have cake, go home because the venue's kicking us out at 6pm!

    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Some people are just that way -- my sister hates to be the center of attention at any event. She even refused to walk down the aisle at her wedding (I think that was mainly nerves because she didn't think she'd make it to the altar without stumbling). But in general, she isn't keen on most social events -- especially if she is in any way singled out.
    I HATE to be the center of attention too. I fully expect to trip on my dress down the aisle. I plan on laughing it off. Might as well be fun with it! I know I'd end up if we were oh-so-serious during the whole thing anyway.

  5. #45
    engaged to dupa
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven for climate, Hell for company.
    Posts
    18,917
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1084
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    We went to one where the couple stood on stage (yeah seriously, Alf and I are not standing up on no stages!) and the bride had to pass a raw egg up and down the groom's pant legs. Without cracking it, obviously. We took a look at the groom's mother during the exercise, and she was mortified. They went around the tables collecting red envelopes, and some people made the bride pick the envelopes out of the groom's pants. Classy stuff.
    Never heard of such outside of a drunk, private party. Certainly not a wedding reception.
    3539 and counting.

    Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,625
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7522
    In Denmark, it is a tradition at the wedding dinner that if you bang you silverware on the plates the bride & groom have to stand up and kiss.
    There is also one about taking off the grooms socks and cutting them into pieces (the guy who gets the biggest piece gets married next, like bouquet toss for girls).

    We just said on the dinner menu we would not appreciate that, and people obliged (my husband did not want to waste good socks...)

    There is also a tradition for when the bride or groom leaves for a restroom trip, all the young guys/girls rush up to kiss the bride/groom (on the cheek usually) while the new spouse is away. I think that is cute.

    Don't know if those are games, but definitely solid traditions.

    Btw to me a reception is an afternoon thing after a morning wedding, with snacks, which you may or may not have. The evening is the wedding dinner. Most people have both invite more to the reception, usually casual friends, business acquaintances - and you would expect a card or token gift only, unlike the dinner guests.
    Do people do this in the US?
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Close to Normal, IL
    Posts
    1,715
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I've only been to one wedding where there was games and it was a lot of fun. First, instead of tinkling glasses to make the bride and groom kiss, the requesting guest had to get up in front of a mic and sing a song with the word "love" in it. Not a whole lot of people went for it, but the people who did were either cute or funny.

    And then there was a game where each table competed against each other in a sort of scavenger hunt, like, "ok, do you have a chapstick?" and someone from each table had to cough up a chapstick. Or a non-wedding state drivers license. Or a 20 dollar bill (which was returned at the end. ). Stuff like that. The wedding table was fiercely competitive but eventually lost out on the drivers license one because nobody had their wallets on them!

    Anyway, the couple was pretty fun-loving and easy going, so it suited the atmosphere at the wedding perfectly. People were laughing and having fun, nobody got embarrassed unless they wanted to (i.e. singing) and it made the reception very enjoyable. I'd like to think I'd do something similar at my wedding.

  8. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,203
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Worst wedding experience I had: Friend from work (years ago) got married. She was "born again" Mormon. Her boyfriend proposed the night he returned to his college dorm room to find his roommate had hung himself . They decided to get married in the Mormon Tabernacle in Washington DC. Invited lots of friends and family who had to travel and stay in a hotel. Never told any of us (who didn't know) that we could not go into the Tabernacle if we were not Mormon. So, we all travel from different places (us from NJ) stay in a hotel, the night before. We go to the Tabernacle and have to wait outside for an hour and a half, standing, and doing nothing. They come out and greet everyone, then we go to a Marriott for the "reception". The reception was sparkling cider, Hawaiian Punch, and this awful cinnamon flavored wedding cake. that was it. Then we had to drive 6 hours home.

  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11,004
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Worst wedding experience I had: Friend from work (years ago) got married. She was "born again" Mormon. Her boyfriend proposed the night he returned to his college dorm room to find his roommate had hung himself . They decided to get married in the Mormon Tabernacle in Washington DC. Invited lots of friends and family who had to travel and stay in a hotel. Never told any of us (who didn't know) that we could not go into the Tabernacle if we were not Mormon. So, we all travel from different places (us from NJ) stay in a hotel, the night before. We go to the Tabernacle and have to wait outside for an hour and a half, standing, and doing nothing. They come out and greet everyone, then we go to a Marriott for the "reception". The reception was sparkling cider, Hawaiian Punch, and this awful cinnamon flavored wedding cake. that was it. Then we had to drive 6 hours home.
    Wasn't there someone else here who had to wrangle everything for her friend's Mormon reception, AFTER she was not allowed into the ceremony? And then she never ever got a thank-you for doing all of it last-minute?

    That all convinces me not to attend any Mormon weddings.



    Also, my mom is fielding some questions from the relatives now. Some are pissed they didn't get an invite, even if I've never met them, or only met them once. Or I haven't seen them in 15 years. Since the RSVP deadline has passed, I'm hoping that if I send them an invite, they're won't actually try to come.

    And then my snap-happy cousin asked her if he could borrow a tripod when he's there. Uhhh, we're paying good money for a professional photographer, who has a "if other "photographers" get in my way, I'm leaving" clause. He shouldn't even bring his DSLR at all, if he knows what's good for him! Getting pictures for immediate distribution to relatives only requires a smartphone!

    I know his mom will push him to take photos, because he had the job for his brother's wedding and she wanted him to take pictures of EVERYTHING. He didn't even get a chance to eat. They didn't have any professionals, only a bunch of friends with DSLRs shoot. His brother took about 300 photos, and only about 3 of them are remotely good. (Well, after some extreme Photoshopping.) So...yeah.

    I'm going to ask my mom if it's a good idea to email this aunt myself about this. This is actually very important to me. The photographer was the FIRST vendor we booked, even before the venue.

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Worst wedding I went to, the police had to be called to break up a fight.

  11. #51

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    10,724
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33043
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Worst wedding experience I had: Friend from work (years ago) got married. She was "born again" Mormon. Her boyfriend proposed the night he returned to his college dorm room to find his roommate had hung himself . They decided to get married in the Mormon Tabernacle in Washington DC. Invited lots of friends and family who had to travel and stay in a hotel. Never told any of us (who didn't know) that we could not go into the Tabernacle if we were not Mormon. So, we all travel from different places (us from NJ) stay in a hotel, the night before. We go to the Tabernacle and have to wait outside for an hour and a half, standing, and doing nothing. They come out and greet everyone, then we go to a Marriott for the "reception". The reception was sparkling cider, Hawaiian Punch, and this awful cinnamon flavored wedding cake. that was it. Then we had to drive 6 hours home.
    They could have at least offered a couple of rounds of Bride Bingo for the non-Mormon guests to pass the time.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I am not Mormon, but since they are getting a bit bashed, I will speak up for a Mormon wedding I attended.

    First- it was made VERY clear that if you didn't have a temple recommend, you couldn't enter the temple. Since the temple was 100 miles away, most guests didn't go out there anyway.

    Second- I was asked really nicely by my Mom-of-Bride friend if I could help with the food. I brought my own apron and joined all the other church ladies (Relief Society?) in preparing dinner for everyone, setting out tables in the gym, breaking it down when the party was over. I was greatly thanked, because my friend is a nice person!

    Third- I was told ahead of time to dress modestly, and that I should consider covering my shoulders, but if I didn't want to, that was okay too.

    Fourth- We had a blast swing dancing the night away.

  13. #53
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,333
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10728
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I'm going to ask my mom if it's a good idea to email this aunt myself about this. This is actually very important to me. The photographer was the FIRST vendor we booked, even before the venue.
    Agree this is important. I wonder if you can give this cousin a little job, so that he and your aunt get to do their thing without getting in the pro's way? Perhaps ask him to hold off until the reception and then take candids? Maybe you could put him "in charge" of getting candids of everyone in your family?

    Otherwise I would absolutely send a friendly note to cousin and his aunt saying how delighted you are that he's planning to take pictures, but warning him in advance that you've hired a pro whose contract is very specific about other photographers interfering in his set ups and angles. You could even say that you know he'd understand because he's been in the same position, and ask him to support you in keeping others at bay.

    One wedding I went to did a very cool thing to ensure that everyone got what they wanted. At the reception, they had set up a couple of benches/risers in a corner, and then they called up different groups - bride's family, groom's cousins, bride's high school pals, father of the groom's family, etc. It didn't get in the way, and the couple gave the appropriate group shot to guests as a thank you.

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,203
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post

    I'm going to ask my mom if it's a good idea to email this aunt myself about this. This is actually very important to me. The photographer was the FIRST vendor we booked, even before the venue.
    I would definitely let your aunt and cousin know the situation. Explain to them that your photographer has a contract that he will leave if there is anyone else taking "professional" photos. That you will still be charged. And insist that they not bring a professional camera to the wedding, or you will ask them to leave it in the car. Actually, one thing you might consider - have him set up a corner and do a "photo booth" set up. that should not infringe on the professional photographer's territory. People like the photo booth thing at weddings. He'd need a printer with him to do that. And each guest who gets their photo taken can write a note on the photo and that can be your "sign-in book".

    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I am not Mormon, but since they are getting a bit bashed, I will speak up for a Mormon wedding I attended.

    First- it was made VERY clear that if you didn't have a temple recommend, you couldn't enter the temple. Since the temple was 100 miles away, most guests didn't go out there anyway.

    Second- I was asked really nicely by my Mom-of-Bride friend if I could help with the food. I brought my own apron and joined all the other church ladies (Relief Society?) in preparing dinner for everyone, setting out tables in the gym, breaking it down when the party was over. I was greatly thanked, because my friend is a nice person!

    Third- I was told ahead of time to dress modestly, and that I should consider covering my shoulders, but if I didn't want to, that was okay too.

    Fourth- We had a blast swing dancing the night away.
    Just to be clear, I was, in no way, Mormon bashing. This was not about the couple being Mormon. It was more about her being a bit over the top. The conversion from drugs, and sex, and rock & roll, and born again zealot mentality. The fact that she accepted a proposal the night her fiancee's roommate killed himself (and they only met a month before). When she came into work, the next day, and told me about that I was horrified! And the fact that she didn't tell us we were not allowed in the Tabernacle. I had no idea. If I'd known, I would not have gone. I would have been happy to take her and her new husband out for dinner, when they returned, and give them a gift. And there was no food at all, except for this awful cinnamon cake. The wedding was in the morning, there was hours of standing around during and after the ceremony. We didn't get out of the reception venue until around 5:00. That is a long time to not provide any food at all. This was the bride being totally oblivious and inconsiderate. Oh, and after she got married, all I heard was how much she detested kids (I was pregnant at the time). Then, a year or so later, all I heard was how desperately she wanted a baby and that she couldn't get pregnant. I have not seen her in many years, couldn't handle the crazy anymore. Don't know if she ever had kids.

  15. #55
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,333
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10728
    Anita, the other thing you might want to do is put a trusted family member in charge of keeping an eye on cousin. You don't want to be stressing about this on your wedding day, so delegate it to someone else to deal with him. You can even have that person introduce themselves to the photographer, let him know they're there to run block if there are any issues. I think the photographer would appreciate it, and you avoid any unpleasantness if he starts getting uppity with guests or wants to complain to you.

  16. #56

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,625
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7522
    I just had prof. Photographer friend post Facebook meme saying: here, let me set up my shot angle an lightning so you can stand behind me with your crappier camera...

    I think it might be pretty common and annoying. I agree with Jenny, and you can also tell him that he should relax an enjoy the dinner, spin it as doing him a favor?

    If your aunt want free pics for a family album, maybe you can promise that every close family like parents an aunts/uncles can get to choose a prof shot an you will get that to them?
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

  17. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11,004
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    I just had prof. Photographer friend post Facebook meme saying: here, let me set up my shot angle an lightning so you can stand behind me with your crappier camera...

    I think it might be pretty common and annoying. I agree with Jenny, and you can also tell him that he should relax an enjoy the dinner, spin it as doing him a favor?

    If your aunt want free pics for a family album, maybe you can promise that every close family like parents an aunts/uncles can get to choose a prof shot an you will get that to them?
    Yeah I'm definitely going to spin it as doing him a favor. At his brother's wedding, I watched him about to take a bite and then his mom hit him on the shoulder and told him to take more pics. He was exasperated by the end of the night! This guy loves to eat, so it was quite frustrating when he "had" to be taking pics when it was eating time. He doesn't fight to get super-weird angles, so as long as we let him know it's not his job to take pictures during the ceremony, I think it'll be okay. It's his mom I'm worried about.

    Luckily, the photographer is giving us rights to the photos if we pay for a DVD. So once we get that, I can share them with family and everybody can print to their heart's content! It's just that they usually take 3 months or so to get back with all the photos, and of course people want to see pictures now.

  18. #58
    engaged to dupa
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven for climate, Hell for company.
    Posts
    18,917
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1084
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    and of course people want to see pictures now.
    No, usually just the bride and her mother. ;
    3539 and counting.

    Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11,004
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    No, usually just the bride and her mother. ;
    LOL, doesn't explain why so many people feel the need to put it on Facebook right away, when the bride and her mother likely won't see it until the next morning.

    It did creep my friend out that one of our friends took a pic of her cake cutting and had it up on Facebook in 5 minutes.

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,203
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    When my daughter got engaged, she called me and my husband, finacee's mom and dad, then her BF. It was on FB within 5 minutes (BF). She had over a hundred likes and comments before she got home! No harm done, but I think my daughter wanted to tell a few people herself .

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •