Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

vCash
    I much prefer Sandrine's elegant, smooth style to some of the other young Canadian ladies. I think she has a really bright future

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    It's great to read so many positive comments about Martin, here and in the kissncry forum. When I watched her skate, I did a double take on the popped combo and I thought uh oh she's gonna plummet in the standings. So I looked at her score and then realised the judges must have really liked her! She could have been near 50 points with a clean combo. If she skates well today I hope she'll get a second assignment.

Séguin is in medal contention too. She has a lot of technical content planned for the free so I hope she holds on to at least third.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    It's great to read so many positive comments about Martin, here and in the kissncry forum. When I watched her skate, I did a double take on the popped combo and I thought uh oh she's gonna plummet in the standings. So I looked at her score and then realised the judges must have really liked her! She could have been near 50 points with a clean combo. If she skates well today I hope she'll get a second assignment.
    I liked Martin a lot too and am impressed with how well she scored given the miss on the combo. But I think the chances of a second assignment are pretty slim. The only open assignments are for Estonia and she is not listed as an alternate for any of the others, so she can't be substituted in for anyone else. I'd be completely shocked if Daleman doesn't get one of the Estonia spots, which only leaves one other spot available. My guess is that the last spot will go to someone who doesn't have one yet. And since Martin is unlikely to be a contender for the JGPF, I think that's all right.

Skate Canada's strategy this season for the JGP spots seems to have been to give two assignments to the ladies with a decent shot at qualifying for the JGPF (Daleman, Seguin, Chartrand) and then spread the wealth with the rest of the assignments to give experience to as many as possible. And I agree with the strategy. I would say that aside from (1) giving up a spot in the first JGP and (2) the strange snubbing of Marika Steward I mentioned up thread, Skate Canada has done a good job of giving assignments to ladies who have earned them by going out and skating well in summer competitions. I'm also encouraged by Mallet's assignments to Nebelhorn and Skate Canada. I've been pretty critical of Skate Canada in the past, so it's nice to be more positive for once. And it's so exciting to see just how many talented young juniors are coming out of Canada given how bleak things looked just a couple of seasons ago (2011 Jr Worlds with Najarro failing to qualify for the free program and Grenier not even making the SP is probably an all-time low).

vCash
    Except, why hold back your #2 and 3 in juniors when they could have senior opportunities? They both skated decently at Jr Worlds last season and are bigger contenders for the second Olympic spot than say Mallet, or dare I say, even Lacoste.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Except, why hold back your #2 and 3 in juniors when they could have senior opportunities? They both skated decently at Jr Worlds last season and are bigger contenders for the second Olympic spot than say Mallet, or dare I say, even Lacoste.
    I agree they are the top contenders for the 2nd spot; however, I don't think doing the JGP is holding them back. They should both do quite well and have a better chance of gaining valuable points and experience for next year. Hopefully one or both will also get 4CC's.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    A question about Seguin.

With her finishing 6th in Mexico it looks like she is out of the running for the JGPF in ladies. With that, she must skate the ladies challenge according to Skate Canada rules. Daleman and Chartrand have direct byes to nationals because they medalled at the last nationals unlike Seguin. The only 3 ways of getting a bye to nationals is medalling at the last one, having a SENIOR GP assignment or making the JGPF.

Skate Canada rules state that you can't use a bye properly earned in one discipline to secure a bye in another

The thing is the challenge takes place at the same time as the JGPF. So if Seguin makes the JGPF in pairs, will that take her out of the ladies competition at nationals ? It would be a big loss for the ladies competition as she has a realistic chance at an Olympic spot ( not the favourite in my opinion but a decent shot )

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    In the 2007-2008 season, Vanessa Crone and Paul Poirier were given byes to nationals in junior singles because they were skating at the JGPF in ice dance during the challenge competition.

I would be shocked if Séguin did not get a bye in singles if she makes JGPF in pairs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    In the 2007-2008 season, Vanessa Crone and Paul Poirier were given byes to nationals in junior singles because they were skating at the JGPF in ice dance during the challenge competition.

I would be shocked if Séguin did not get a bye in singles if she makes JGPF in pairs.

Someone told me they changed the rules a couple years ago to prevent those situtations. The rules I mentioned came after the year you mentioned. I think the rule was with those 2 ( and Jessica Dube at the time ) as well in mind. In the case of Vanessa Crone especially she was a very marginal singles skater ( had no consistent triples at all ). I know that Asher Hill also used it for junior men as well.

I am also reasonably sure that Seguin will compete at nationals in ladies as well. I am sure the spirit of the law was to prevent a skater who is strong in one discipline to use their national bye to avoid having to qualify in another when they are marginal skaters in the other discipline. Seguin was not who they had in mind when they added this clause.
    Last edited by nadioso; 09-08-2013 at 07:09 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nadioso View Post
    Someone told me they changed the rules a couple years ago to prevent those situtations. The rules I mentioned came after that time.
    I remember a change as well. It is important to remember, in Canada the byes take the place of a skater who earns their way through challenge. They are not in addition to the challenge skaters so not allowing byes earned in another discipline makes sense.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    This post is not really a Canadian ubers item, but worth noting in this thread. Christina Yan is skating for China. Good for her. With the way that Canadian women are skating right now, she wouldn't have had a chance for a JGP assignment this year, or pobably not even next year if the talent keeps developing.

Here's the link to JGP assignments for this year, and . . . there she is, under the Chinese skaters. She is currently assigned to the JGP in Gdansk, Poland, Sept 18-22.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post

a sea of young girls who will be going for broke and pelting triples at her.
    This imagery is so vivid. I just had to quote it.
    Poor LaCoste. Poor Leonova. Perhaps I should visit this Canadian Ladies thread more often.

vCash
    Doesn't JGPF almost always coincide with Nationals qualifier?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    Doesn't JGPF almost always coincide with Nationals qualifier?
    Yep . It is pretty much always on the same weekend as the JGPF.

vCash
    Lacoste has a wonderful LP this season, I liked it better than the programs of all the other ladies I saw at US Figure Skating Classic. Who is Amélie's choreographer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttPFlBmJKFE

I'll keep my fingers crossed for her that she can get her act together on the jumps and qualify for the Olympics. The younger ones can wait.

vCash
    Yes, that is a beautiful program.........fingers X'd for her too. I hope she does better this year and starts nailing those jumps.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Lacoste has a wonderful LP this season, I liked it better than the programs of all the other ladies I saw at US Figure Skating Classic. Who is Amélie's choreographer?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for her that she can get her act together on the jumps and qualify for the Olympics. The younger ones can wait.
    It was choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne according to the Skate Canada News article.

vCash
    I've never been much of an Amelie fan but I like this program. Shae-Lynn did a nice job. I also like the dress (although the skirt is a bit long). I really wish Amelie would go back to a more natural hair colour.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post

Agreed - Lacoste has become quite an artist on the ice. She has such a command on the ice that Daleman, Chartrand, Seguin don't have. She just needs those jumps.

vCash
    amelie for amelie. so fitting

i love both her lp this season. i hope she can show the young canadian ladies actual artistry while showing that she can keep up technically. Rooting for her to get one of the Olympic spots. she's been a canadian staple the last 2 quadrennials, going to be at 5 SC this season. did anyone notice her planned content? i know it was just "planned", but she was going to try a 3S-3L.
    Last edited by icellist; 09-15-2013 at 08:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    amelie for amelie. so fitting

i love both her lp this season. i hope she can show the young canadian ladies actual artistry while showing that she can keep up technically. Rooting for her to get one of the Olympic spots. she's been a canadian staple the last 2 quadrennials, going to be at 5 SC this season. did anyone notice her planned content? i know it was just "planned", but she was going to try a 3S-3L.
    I also love her long program this year, it is simply the technical side holding her back. Do you mean 3Lo-3Lo combo in the short? I doubt she would do 3S-3Lo in the long for 2 reasons:

1. 3Lo is one of her more consistent jumps, but can easily be counted as underrotated/downgrade on the 2nd half of a combo, so rather than putting one in the back end of a combo, it's better to do 2 3Lo (one being the first jump of a combination).

2. She doesn't have consistent enough triples to make going for a triple-triple combo in the long worth it. The only reason for a triple-triple/2A-triple combo for the long is to open up another jump window to get 7 triples in. I think the best plan for her is to repeat the 3Lo and 3S which takes up 4 jumping passes, along with a 3F, 3Lz, 2A-2A seq if she wants to keep the 3Lz in. If I were her, I would take out the 3Lz, do a 2A+2T combo and a solo 2A.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast