Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    According to Jackie Wong Gabriel is too young for Olys. Only Chartrand can go. Navarro is nowhere near Chartrands quality. There is a softness in her skating that reminds me of a young Josee Chouinard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    According to Jackie Wong Gabriel is too young for Olys. Only Chartrand can go. Navarro is nowhere near Chartrands quality. There is a softness in her skating that reminds me of a young Josee Chouinard.
    Daleman turned 15 in February, which is before July 1, so she should be old enough for the Olympics?

vCash
    Daleman turned 15 in January 2013 so she's old enough for the Olympics/Worlds/4CC this season: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054166.htm
    (I've just tweeted this to Jackie Wong. )
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    I hope she corrects it. Honestly how much research would it have taken to know Daleman's age?

vCash
    The desition to send Chartrands and Daleman back to the JGP makes sense if your looking at it from the perspective of assignments over the next several years. Neither of them is high enough in the world standing to get more than Skate Canada's host pick, but both look to be skating extremely well this year and have the chance to medal on the JGP. One or both might even go to the JGP final. They will be earning themselves valuable world ranking points for SGP spots next year and being on JGP doesn't mean they can't go to Worlds or the Olympics.
    I want to thank you Lord for being with me so far this day. With your help, I have not been inpatient, lost my temper been grumpy or envious of anyone. But I will be getting out of bed in a minute and I think I will really need your help then. Amen

vCash
    I agree with JanetB and Skate Canada on their decision to send Chartrand and Daleman back to JGP. They can do really well there and work more on the PCS. They have the Technical. And they can keep the movement going in maintaining valuable JGP spots for upcoming skaters.

I wouldn't count Osmond out yet. She has alot more than both Daleman and Chartrand has in terms of ice presence and now experience of all the competitions last year. Wildrose was just a rough early season competition with wanting to show the programs and get feedback.

Perhaps people are assuming that Skate Canada is saying no to the SGP for Daleman/Chartrand. I am thinking they are looking at the big picture and realising that the best option is JGP and the coaches may have pushed for JGP. Osmond didn't get her first SGP until after Nebelhorn at 16. I think without the win at Nebelhorn, you would have saw Osmond on JGP last season. They have the opportunity to gain more international experience and I think it is a good decision.

As for the Olympics, Osmond I believe is the frontrunner. She will get the jumps more consistent and fix the programs. If Lacoste can get it together, Chartrand or Daleman will not beat her at Nationals. Neither has the performance level of Lacoste. Let the kids develop. What is the rush. They are only 19-21 for the next Olympics.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    IMHO Lacoste will have to skate better than she ever has at nationals to beat Chartrand and Daleman.

The part I bolded is absolutely not correct. Osmond was assigned to Skate Canada on the initial Grand Prix announcement last year, which was a few months before Nebelhorn.

Quote Originally Posted by hohoho View Post
    I agree with JanetB and Skate Canada on their decision to send Chartrand and Daleman back to JGP. They can do really well there and work more on the PCS. They have the Technical. And they can keep the movement going in maintaining valuable JGP spots for upcoming skaters.

I wouldn't count Osmond out yet. She has alot more than both Daleman and Chartrand has in terms of ice presence and now experience of all the competitions last year. Wildrose was just a rough early season competition with wanting to show the programs and get feedback.

Perhaps people are assuming that Skate Canada is saying no to the SGP for Daleman/Chartrand. I am thinking they are looking at the big picture and realising that the best option is JGP and the coaches may have pushed for JGP. Osmond didn't get her first SGP until after Nebelhorn at 16. I think without the win at Nebelhorn, you would have saw Osmond on JGP last season. They have the opportunity to gain more international experience and I think it is a good decision.

As for the Olympics, Osmond I believe is the frontrunner. She will get the jumps more consistent and fix the programs. If Lacoste can get it together, Chartrand or Daleman will not beat her at Nationals. Neither has the performance level of Lacoste. Let the kids develop. What is the rush. They are only 19-21 for the next Olympics.

vCash
    Lacoste did beat Daleman and Chartrand in the sp at nationals with a fall. If not for a couple of mistakes in the LP she would have been 2nd. I like Daleman and Chartrand but they both have work to do on PCS, example is Daleman at WTT.

vCash
    We also have to look at the way they are trending. Expect both Daleman and Chartrand to jump at least a good half point on each component score this year while Lacoste should be flat to trending down.

Also we have to remember that the dynamic of skating at nats in an Olympic year wears on some skaters. A nervous skater like Lacoste who is likely in her last nationals performance will probably have a much tougher time going against a sea of young girls who will be going for broke and pelting triples at her. If Lacoste finishes in top two then I'd completely take my hat off to her and wish her well in Sochi.

I actually think that Chartrand, Daleman and Seguin (based on what I've seen so far this year) are pretty much neck and neck (and neck) for Sochi. Might have Seguin just a touch behind without a 3/3.....although she's working on it.

vCash
    based on what we've seen from Lacoste this last season and this summer, I think she has been firmly passed by the likes of Daleman, Chartrand, Seguin and even Mallet. Lacoste was a disaster at Quebec summer provincials. She's had years to prove herself and she hasn't done that especially the last couple seasons. The former 4 and especially Daleman, Chartrand, and Seguin are a part of the next wave of talented Canadian ladies. They proved that at Canadian nationals last season and I think Daleman and Chartrand are the front-runners for the second spot with Seguin very close behind. If Amelie proves me wrong at Skate Canada and Nationals, then yes of course, she deserves to go, but she's been far too inconsistent especially compared to the likes of those mentioned.
    Kyle

vCash
    I agree with JanetB and Skate Canada on their decision to send Chartrand and Daleman back to JGP.
    I do too. Both of those skaters (plus Seguin) now are potential medallists on the JGP, and I think the experience of going into a competition as a potential medallist, and dealing with the resultant nerves, is far more valuable for their future career than going to Skate Canada and likely finishing in the bottom half of the field. In addition, I agree about the much greater probablility of getting ranking points on the JGP.

vCash
    Off-topic on this discussion, but it is amazing to be having a discussion about three promising skaters at once in Canadian women's skating (five, if you count Mallet and Osmond).

They didn't just drop out of the sky, though. It was possible to see this coming over the past two seasons, as Daleman, Chartrand and Seguin were trying increasingly difficult technical content, often failing, but having increasing success with each competition. What I find truly exciting is that they seem to be inspiring others to follow the same path. Right now some of those skaters are at the place that Daleman or Chartrand were at two seasons ago, trying a lot of things but not always (even rarely) succeeding. Probably many of those skaters never will reach the technical level that Daleman, Chartrand or Seguin are at, but some will, I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    Off-topic on this discussion, but it is amazing to be having a discussion about three promising skaters at once in Canadian women's skating (five, if you count Mallet and Osmond).

They didn't just drop out of the sky, though. It was possible to see this coming over the past two seasons, as Daleman, Chartrand and Seguin were trying increasingly difficult technical content, often failing, but having increasing success with each competition. What I find truly exciting is that they seem to be inspiring others to follow the same path. Right now some of those skaters are at the place that Daleman or Chartrand were at two seasons ago, trying a lot of things but not always (even rarely) succeeding. Probably many of those skaters never will reach the technical level that Daleman, Chartrand or Seguin are at, but some will, I think.
    Agree

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post

I agree as well.. I think a great deal of the credit should also go to Michael Slipchuck.. as the high performance director at Skate Canada - I think he has influenced a great deal of upturn in women's skating over the past 6 years.. I think by raising the bar and having clear performance outcomes and minimum standards he has created a clear path for coaches to follow..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    I like Gabrielle's spunk and attack, but she's still a little rough around the edges.

I haven't been the biggest Amelie supporter in the past, but I'm rooting for her, especially if this is her last season.

I think she has the most maturity of all the top Canadian skaters, but the toe jumps are totally MIA.

The 3Lz is kinda hopeless at this point, but she was making progress on the 3F last year. If she does a 3F, two 3Lo, two 3S and two 2A, she should put up a decent fight against the younger girls, who are still a little hit or miss.

ETA: Some very nice jumps from Seguin. I like her!
    Last edited by all_empty; 08-20-2013 at 06:50 AM.

vCash
    Is it me or does Osmond not look in shape at all? She did not look like an elite athlete at Wild Rose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Is it me or does Osmond not look in shape at all? She did not look like an elite athlete at Wild Rose.
    Osmond is managing her training. Last year she peaked too early. This year she is laying the building blocks towards the Olys and worlds.
    Perfect form at this time in the cycle is usually a mistake.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    I hope she corrects it. Honestly how much research would it have taken to know Daleman's age?
    HE replied to me today and has revised his article.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    Osmond is managing her training. Last year she peaked too early. This year she is laying the building blocks towards the Olys and worlds.
    Perfect form at this time in the cycle is usually a mistake.....
    There is no need to be perfect at this time of year but she should be in much better shape then she is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Oy, here we go. Trying to make something out of nothing...

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast