Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    If Cynthia Phaneuf came back, would she be a front runner for the second spot?

vCash
    This flip-flopping back and forth editing and adding to long programs to fit a junior then senior event can't be an ongoing practice. In an Olympic year I'd say go with the Osmond plan and create one program version, lock it in, and train the begeezus out of it. I say put Chartrand and Daleman into seniors next year and have at it. They likely both won't go to Sochi but you have Skate Canada, Senior Bs and 4CCs to occupy your time in seniors so these skaters won't be wasting their energy.

Lacoste. Really do want to see her skate well but Nats in an Olympic year is the event that has the most nervous skates. Lacoste would stay in just to excel in this event...and...well...we've seen how she responds to pressure. Conversely, the kids will be bombing around the ice hoping to qualify for the first of 3 or 4 Olympic games. Long story short, if Amelie finishes top 5 she'll do well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Ehhh, she tweeted in January that she hadn't touched her skates in a year. So, um, doubt it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Not with the way she was skating when she left..

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    The grand prix assignments are out. Osmond and Lacoste were assigned Skate Canada with one spot TBA. Osmond also got Rostelcom Cup. I was really hoping to see Daleman and Chartrand on the senior grand prix. Lacoste was guaranteed a spot due to her world standing.

They better use this TBA spot this time!

What do people think?

vCash
    They should give Daleman some experience on the senior grand prix. She will need it if she places 2nd again at Canadians.

vCash
    Great!!!! Two for Kaetlyn. I agree about Daleman .
    Addicted to FSU

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Chartrand will be returning to the JPG. She tweeted this:

“@AlaineChartrand: Excited to be representing Canada again at JGP Riga, Latvia! #TeamCanada
    I wonder who else will go JGP and I hope we use all the spots!

vCash
    Skate Canada has posted the JGP assignments for Riga on their website.

http://http://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/athletes/internationalassignments.aspx

Only Chartrand's name is listed at the moment for the ladies. Canada can send 2 ladies to all JGP events. Any unfilled slots will go to Japan. Hopefully SC will fill the other slot with one of the top juniors or novices from nationals. I know they won't have summer competition data to go by yet but there were junior ladies who did meet the higher standards ( increased from 115 to 125 ) at nationals.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    I wonder if Veronik Mallet might get the host pick at Skate Canada. She's not age eligible for JGP and she scored 51.77 at Liberty SP today, per twitter:

“@SylviaUnseen: Liberty Sr Ladies SP 1-6 unofficial: Cesario 57.05, Mallet CAN 51.77, Siraj 46.95, F Maxwell LUX 46.34, Cournoyer CAN 45.73, Cain 43.66”
    And she landed a triple loop combo and a triple toe.

vCash
    If Daleman opts to go back to the JGP, I hope Mallet does get the SC slot. At a minimum, I think she's proved herself worth of a Senior B, as beating the 6th and 7th ranked US skaters in the free at Liberty is not a small feat, even if it is early in the season. And while the short and free at Liberty are two separate events, adding her two scores together gets her over the benchmark of 140 that Skate Canada has in its criteria for Senior B assignments.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I saw her free skate yesterday at Liberty and she did a very credible job. Someone else probably has her score and jumps, but I thought she looked mature and confident. Corneyer (sp?) was OK, too.

ETA: She came in second, beating Cesario and Siraj, with a score of 92. Good for Mallet!
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Relevant excerpt from the Liberty Senior Ladies FS recap article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Véronik Mallet of Quebec, fifth at the 2013 Canadian Figure Skating Championships, skated a charming free to selections from Funny Girl, choreographed by Sebastien Britten.

The 19-year-old Mallet fell on a triple flip and the second jump of a double Axel-double toe combination, but landed a triple loop-double toe combination; triple toe; shaky triple Lutz and triple loop; and a final double Axel. She earned 92.19 points.

"This is a brand new program. It's the first time she did it," Mallet's coach, Annie Barabé, said. "It's disappointing she fell on the double Axel (combination). The rest, I was happy with."

Mallet qualified for the Canadian national team for the first time and hopes for a senior B assignment.

"In the past, Skate Canada has not assigned many skaters to senior B's, but maybe they want to start to do more," Barabé said. "Mike (Slipchuck, high performance director for Skate Canada) said, 'Let's see what she does here; maybe we can do something.'

"I hope she gets an assignment. She trains hard and is a good athlete, even if she is not as flamboyant as some other skaters, like (former pupil) Cynthia Phaneuf."
    There's also a photo of Mallet with her coach in this Liberty backstage gallery: http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/gal...nt_id=54244952

Barabé brought a BIG group of ladies, Novice to Senior level, to Liberty this year and another standout was Sandrine Martin, who qualified for and won the Junior Ladies SP Final (landed 3T+2T, 3Lo, 2A; scored 46.55) and she also was 2nd (84.07) in the Junior Ladies FS Final.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-21-2013 at 10:05 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Relevant excerpt from the Liberty Senior Ladies FS recap article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

There's also a photo of Mallet with her coach in this Liberty backstage gallery: http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/gal...nt_id=54244952

Barabé brought a BIG group of ladies, Novice to Senior level, to Liberty this year and another standout was Sandrine Martin, who qualified for and won the Junior Ladies SP Final (landed 3T+2T, 3Lo, 2A; scored 46.55) and she also was 2nd (84.07) in the Junior Ladies FS Final.
    Thanks Sylvia! That's a great picture of Mallet - she looks gorgeous!

Good to hear that about Martin - those scores added together means she has met Skate Canada's standard of 125 for the JGP and having a triple loop in the short should mean she would be reasonably competitive on the JGP.

I hope Skate Canada will start using up its ladies slots, because it would be a shame to not use the spots after Daleman earned them with her strong showing at Jr. Worlds. Based solely on Nationals, I can think of at least 5 ladies who deserve a JGP assignment (Chartrand, Seguin, Austman, Dunley, and Steward) plus potentially Daleman if she doesn't do the SGP. Martin's showing at Liberty puts her in the mix and who knows what other surprises might show up at other summer competitions. If all of the ladies listed above had two assignments, that fills up all 14 assignments (12 if Daleman goes senior) or if there are other ladies with strong summer competitions, SC could give some of them only one assignment to spread the wealth. I could see leaving slots empty if the level of talent wasn't there, but I don't think that's the case here.

vCash
    Relevant excerpt from the second Liberty competition recap article that was published on Icenetwork yesterday:
    Sandrine Martin of Quebec, 17, took top honors in the junior ladies short final and placed second to Taylor in the free skate final with 84.07 points.

"I'm very happy with her," said Annie Barabé, who has coached Martin since the skater was 7. "She [rotated] five triples in her long program here.

"We hope for a Junior Grand Prix. Canada has more entries this year, but there are more girls who can do the triples. Mike [Slipchuk, Skate Canada's high performance director] will decide after the Quebec Summer Competition."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    I can't imagine anyone other than Gabrielle Daleman getting the Skate Canada TBA. She skated a great short at Skate Detroit, scoring 57.something with a 3lutz 3toe combo

vCash
    I think Mallet will get TBA because it would e more advantageous for Daleman to do JGP for ranking points and she would hae a chance at Final. Also Canada has 14 slots that can be filled and I don't think they ave that many girls. Mallet can't do JGP

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    I disagree. I think Daleman is ready for the senior Grand Prix and she doesn't have a good triple loop, which is the junio solo jump this year.
    We'll see what Skate Canada decides to do.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    I disagree. I think Daleman is ready for the senior Grand Prix and she doesn't have a good triple loop, which is the junio solo jump this year.
    We'll see what Skate Canada decides to do.

vCash
    I see no reason holding Daleman or Chartrand back at JGPs. They both had respectable placements at Jr Worlds against the Russian, US and Japanese girls and are both age-eligible for Sochi (I believe) and are much more promising than Lacoste will ever be in this and future seasons. I say send them to senior Bs and GPs - at least Daleman.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast