Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

vCash
    ^^^ Happy for Alaine and glad to hear that Canada keeps the two spots.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    OMG I'm so excited! Alaine Chartrand skated lights out at jr worlds today and moved up to fifth place, thus keeping two spots for JGP next year for team Canada! She didn't beat her score from 4CC. She is currently 30th on the ISU season best list, and with several retirements pending, and non age eligible skaters ranked above her on that list I think she has a very good chance of a non host senior grand prix invite next year, so I certainly expect to see her on the senior grand prix next year. I'm so excited! She was the top North American skater at junior worlds.

Seven rotated triples!
    Here's Alaine Chartrand's FS to Dr. Zhivago : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW50VrInRMM
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    OMG I'm so excited! Alaine Chartrand skated lights out at jr worlds today and moved up to fifth place, thus keeping two spots for JGP next year for team Canada! She didn't beat her score from 4CC. She is currently 30th on the ISU season best list, and with several retirements pending, and non age eligible skaters ranked above her on that list I think she has a very good chance of a non host senior grand prix invite next year, so I certainly expect to see her on the senior grand prix next year. I'm so excited! She was the top North American skater at junior worlds.

Seven rotated triples!

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wj..._FS_Scores.pdf
    Congrats to Alaine! Not quite the performance quality of 4CCs but even better technically.

After her free skate at nationals she was so disappointed she could hardly speak to the local reporter interviewing her. What a way to come back and finish the season on a strong note!

vCash
    Good news! Skate Canada is sending 3 girls (ETA: and one boy, Eric LIU J3 in Novice) to Gardena Spring Trophy in Italy (March 28-30):

ADVANCED NOVICE GIRLS
    Sarah TAMURA (N1)
    Megan YIM (N3)

JUNIOR LADIES
    Kelsey WONG (J12)

Link to the competition thread in Kiss and Cry (March 28-30): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...rch-28-30-2014
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-17-2014 at 06:10 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Fabulous news. FYI all four skaters train at 8 Rinks in Burnaby BC under Joanne McLeod.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Sarah, Megan and Eric are all just 12 (or were in January) , so good for them to be able to get some international experience.

vCash
    Sarah is older than Megan. Not sure where their birthdays fall, but I believe Sarah is eligible for the JGP in the fall, but Megan is not. Not sure about Eric.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Kaetlyn Osmond is 8th after the short program at worlds, nailing a triple flip triple toe for the first time in competition, did the 3lutz as her solo jump (with an edge call that she had otherwise avoided this year). Sadly she really blew her layback spin, getting almost no points for it. Still she's in a great position to match or improve last year's ranking!

Gabby Daleman is in 14th place, she was very happy with herself and got a season best. She did only a triple double, and she stepped out of the landing of the triple flip. Still she skated better than at the Olympics, and now she's sooo close to the top 12 and two guaranteed GP spots next year, which I'm sure is her aim!

Way to go Canadian ladies!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    I think the judges are willing to reward Gabby Daleman with high GOEs if and when she goes clean. She's been placing well already even with up and down performances.

vCash
    I was watching the Ladies Short last night on the CBC and heard Carol Lane mention that Daleman had stress injuries in her legs while at Sochi and that is why they took out her 3Lz+3T in her programs. I did a quick search to see if I could find any more details and found this article: Olympian's grandparents travelled to Sochi from Parry Sound. Apparently she had a fracture in her foot while at the Olympics. Does anyone else have anymore info? I have emailed one of my friends back in the Toronto area to see if they know anything, but haven't heard back yet. Looks like she has recovered from it but WOW, competing on an injured foot like as well as your first major Senior International. Talk about stress, no pun intended.

vCash
    Okay so here is the answer to my own post. My friend just emailed me back about the status of Daleman; her daughter trains at the same rink as Gabby. The word around the rink is that she apparently developed a pain in her right foot while training in Germany and the physiotherapist diagnosed it as a possible stress fracture. They think this could be due to the fact that that she broke the heel of her skate two practices after Nationals and had to get new skates. Fortunately they started treatment on her in Sochi right away with an ultra-sound machine that helps to stimulate bone repair. Then when she got back she had bone-scans to determine that it was not a fracture but a stress reaction like Katelyn had in September. Instead of taking time off Daleman’s team decided to adjust her training and programs to aim for a top 12 finish at worlds and that is why they took out the 3Lz+3T.
    My friend also told me what an athlete this girl truly is and what she has endured over the last two years. Apparently she had a strained quad at nationals this year which can be seen in this picture. Note the left quad in the picture. Also last season at her last JGP she pulled a groin muscle, which caused her to pull out of her sectionals and go through several weeks of physio as the injury caused numerous complications in her right leg, until Challenge. Then she also developed pneumonia over Christmas of 2012 and didn’t finish her medicine until the Monday before she skated and placed 2nd at her first Senior Nationals in 2013. No wonder she was crying at the end of her Freeskate (which caused me to start tearing as well then and again as I think about it now).

After reading that email I have even more respect for this little 16 year old girl who has accomplished so much for Canada and I will now be her biggest fan forever. Gabby I hope you have the best skate to-date of your young career tomorrow in Japan.

I hope the rest of Canada Cheers her on as well!!!
    Last edited by sk8hrd; 03-29-2014 at 02:20 AM.

vCash
    Go Gabby Go... do your best.. we are already proud of you!

vCash
    No wonder she was thrilled after her skate! I hope she doesn't injure herself further by trying to compete.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    What a gutsy skate from Daleman considering. She just missed two guaranteed grand prix spots for next year. Hopefully she will still get invited, considering the number of retirements and non age eligible skaters ahead of her on the season best list.

Osmond had a rough free skate but thankfully Canada will keep two spots next year and Osmond guaranteed herself two grand prix spots.

Bring on next season!

vCash
    What a gutsy skate from Daleman considering.
    ITA! Given that she's only 16, injured, and at her first Worlds, I would say finishing 13th is an fantastic result. Looking forward to seeing her next season. Hopefully Skate Canada will take her as a host pick for SCI.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    ITA! Given that she's only 16, injured, and at her first Worlds, I would say finishing 13th is an fantastic result. Looking forward to seeing her next season. Hopefully Skate Canada will take her as a host pick for SCI.
    I wonder how she fair with Orser as her coach. She needs a little bit of reining in and refinement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    I wonder how she fair with Orser as her coach. She needs a little bit of reining in and refinement.

ETA - Well done Kaetlyn and Gabby, 2 spots next a good way to start the next quad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    I have been thinking this for a while.....
    Lori does her choreo so that's good. Her coach is also rogozines coach.

vCash
    What a gutsy skate from Daleman considering. She just missed two guaranteed grand prix spots for next year. Hopefully she will still get invited, considering the number of retirements and non age eligible skaters ahead of her on the season best list.

Osmond had a rough free skate but thankfully Canada will keep two spots next year and Osmond guaranteed herself two grand prix spots.

Bring on next season!
    Yeah Gabby!!!!!
    correct me if I'm wrong but I think if a skater in the top 12 retires then the 13th spot will get 2 guaranteed spots.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8hrd View Post
    Yeah Gabby!!!!!
    correct me if I'm wrong but I think if a skater in the top 12 retires then the 13th spot will get 2 guaranteed spots.
    Yes, I looked up last year's grand prix announcement document from the ISU, which reads:

2.2. Invited skaters/couples
    a) Skaters/couples who have placed 7 – 12 in each of the 4 disciplines (Men, Ladies, Pairs, Ice Dance) at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2013 will be guaranteed to be selected for two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events, provided that these skaters/couples fulfil the requirements of the minimum score. If there are any retirements from placements 7 – 12, the vacant places will be completed with the next ranked skaters/couples of the 2013 ISU World Figure Skating Championships (placed 13 and below) will be moved up to fill their position as Placement 7 -12 skaters/couples.
    If the same holds true this year, Daleman will get two automatic picks as Suzuki has already announced her retirement.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast