Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

vCash
    ditto. can seguin do double duty though, as she'll likely be assigned in pairs (pending the success of the pairs FS)
    I'd send Chartrand and Seguin also.

She has been doing double duty at JGP events, and doing it well. I think she could handle junior worlds in two events with no problem.

However, here's another consideration: IMO placement in Junior Worlds is far more important in the women's event than in pairs. It's really important for Canada to maximize the number of women's spots on the JGP next season, because there are a lot of potentially worthy candidates for JGP assignments. In pairs, on the other hand, there are very few age-eligible teams that would do well on the JGP, so placement in pairs isn't all that important (except for personal satisfaction for Seguin/Bilodeau). I think that Canada needs a backstop to Chartrand, just in case she doesn't skate well, and Julianne is the strongest candidate for that IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post

However, here's another consideration: IMO placement in Junior Worlds is far more important in the women's event than in pairs. It's really important for Canada to maximize the number of women's spots on the JGP next season, because there are a lot of potentially worthy candidates for JGP assignments. In pairs, on the other hand, there are very few age-eligible teams that would do well on the JGP, so placement in pairs isn't all that important (except for personal satisfaction for Seguin/Bilodeau).
    Placement at JW is far less important for pairs than for the other disciplines regardless of the number of teams available for assignment in Canada - because there's such a huge difference in the number of available assignments based on JW placement for singles vs pairs. In pairs, the top four countries from JW get 3 slots at each of the JGPs with pairs (15 places total this season), whereas any other country that has a pair making the free skate gets 2 (10 total) - and even countries that earn the maximum entries may not use them (like Canada this season). OTOH, for singles and dance, only the top 3 countries get 2 slots per event (14), while nobody else - unless they host- has more than 7 slots of initial assignments available. The main difference that JW placements make for pairs is therefore in the number of entries for the following year's JWs.

vCash
    do you need a minimum score for jr worlds?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    do you need a minimum score for jr worlds?
    yes

vCash
    It's 20 points for the short program, 35 points for the long program - not that difficult to do if the skaters do in international competition what they do locally. For example, about half the skaters in the junior womens event were higher than that threshold in the short program at Canadian nationals. (The technical mark tends to be less inflated than the PCS scores at nationals, unless the judges really start handing out positive GOEs, so that's quite a fair comparison).

Unfortunately, nerves gets to some of the skaters when they skate internationally, so they don't reach the minimum.

The following junior skaters have met the minimum: Gabrielle Daleman, Alaine Chartrand, Julianne Seguin, Madelyn Dunley, Julianne DeLaurier, Larkyn Austman, Sandrine Martin

Marianne Rioux-Ouellet has only met the minimum for the long program, I believe. Roxanne Cournayer and Kelsey Wong have also not met the minimum.

I think those are the only junior skaters that had international assignments this season.
    Last edited by geoskate; 01-18-2014 at 06:37 AM.

vCash
    Seguin is going to Jr. Worlds in pairs apparently according to this: Charlie Bilodeau et Julianne Séguin aux Mondiaux juniors. No mention of her competing in the women’s event however.

Reading over the Skate Canada criteria for assignment to Jr. Worlds, the athletes for the team were nominated after Nats, but the assignment list hasn’t been updated with the names of the competitors yet. Wonder what the hold up is?
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Seguin's club, Centre Jeunes Performances Plus, announced on their Facebook page that she would be competing at worlds in both pairs and singles.

vCash
    Congratulations to Alaine Chartrand on a great long program at 4CC. She place 5th in the long program, and 7th overall.

Her long program scrore of 113.05 was her best long program score internationally by a long shot, and matches technically what she did at Octoberfest. In fact, she established ISU personal bests in all segments of the competitions (short, long and overall).

I think it's a breakthrough for her to be able to do internationally what she has done in smaller national competitions. This bodes well for her performance at Junior Worlds. (She must be going, but has this been confirmed?).

vCash
    I'll happily second geoskate's post of congrats to Alaine Chartrand.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Chartrand is now the top Canadian on the ISU season best list: http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/...14/sbtslto.htm (Though of course Osmond doesn't have an ISU score yet). She's 28th which puts her in a very good position to get a non host pick on the Grand Prix next season.

Well done Alaine!

vCash
    Nice profile of Gabby Daleman on the skate Canada website: Olympian Profile: Gabrielle Daleman

vCash
    I saw Alexandra Najarro comment on Sotnikova's instagram (saying congrats and how she was so inspirational, which was so sweet and classy of her) and it made me wonder if she was still skating? I remember her having a decent junior career but later having some injuries...

vCash
    How great were Gabby and Kaetlyn.
    So proud of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I saw Alexandra Najarro comment on Sotnikova's instagram (saying congrats and how she was so inspirational, which was so sweet and classy of her) and it made me wonder if she was still skating? I remember her having a decent junior career but later having some injuries...
    She competed at Canadians this year and was seventh after the SP. I think she just missed being shown on TV. My impression of her, other than she's very striking looking on ice, is that she's just the other side of being a great skater. One breakout completion and she'd be in it to win it.

vCash
    Entries are posted for World Juniors.

The official entries are Alaine Chartrand and Julianne Seguin, with the alternates being Larkyn Austman, Julianne DeLaurier and Madelyn Dunley. Alaine and Julianne were the obvious choices, IMO, and the alternates also seem like reasonable choices to me.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Larkyn Austman (who was a late replacement for an injured Julianne Seguin) and Alaine Chartrand skated their short programs at junior worlds today. Austman had a turn between jumps on her combo (3sal 2toe), landed a great triple loop and touched down on the double axel with her hand. Still she qualified to skate the free in 18th place. Chartrand fell on her triple toe after her triple lutz, landed a very nice triple loop and stepped out of her double axel. Despite these errors she is in 7th place - I feel like the judges are just waiting to give her a huge score in the short if she could skate clean Her score today was a season's best.

Canada is in striking distance of keeping JGP spots for next year, but Chartrand would have to pass both American skaters ahead of her which seems unlikely but you never know. Still keeping two spots for next year's junior worlds and at least keeping one entry in each JGP next year would be good.

Here are the protocols: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wj..._SP_Scores.pdf

Chartrand was helped by having all level 4s in her non jump elements.

Good luck in the free skate ladies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    Larkyn Austman (who was a late replacement for an injured Julianne Seguin) and Alaine Chartrand skated their short programs at junior worlds today. Austman had a turn between jumps on her combo (3sal 2toe), landed a great triple loop and touched down on the double axel with her hand. Still she qualified to skate the free in 18th place. Chartrand fell on her triple toe after her triple lutz, landed a very nice triple loop and stepped out of her double axel. Despite these errors she is in 7th place - I feel like the judges are just waiting to give her a huge score in the short if she could skate clean Her score today was a season's best.

Canada is in striking distance of keeping JGP spots for next year, but Chartrand would have to pass both American skaters ahead of her which seems unlikely but you never know. Still keeping two spots for next year's junior worlds and at least keeping one entry in each JGP next year would be good.

Here are the protocols: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wj..._SP_Scores.pdf

Chartrand was helped by having all level 4s in her non jump elements.

Good luck in the free skate ladies!
    Chartrand is a very beautiful skater. She has a softness and quality about her. She reminds me of Josee Chouinard, Hope she finds jump security as that would take her to next level.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Chartrand is actually my favourite Canadian skater. I think her jumps are getting bigger this year. She's getting more credit for rotations too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    Chartrand is actually my favourite Canadian skater. I think her jumps are getting bigger this year. She's getting more credit for rotations too.
    She's close to being my favourite as well, mainly because she's the most musical. Kaetlyn and Gabby are great performers but they don't have her sensitivity for the music.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    OMG I'm so excited! Alaine Chartrand skated lights out at jr worlds today and moved up to fifth place, thus keeping two spots for JGP next year for team Canada! She didn't beat her score from 4CC. She is currently 30th on the ISU season best list, and with several retirements pending, and non age eligible skaters ranked above her on that list I think she has a very good chance of a non host senior grand prix invite next year, so I certainly expect to see her on the senior grand prix next year. I'm so excited! She was the top North American skater at junior worlds.

Seven rotated triples!

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wj..._FS_Scores.pdf

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast