Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Elvis Stojko- the underappreciated champion

One of the most underappreciated and underrated champions ever is Elvis Stojko. He won 3 world titles and 2 Olympic silvers despite the judges not accepting his style. Had they accepted his style he would have atleast 6 world titles and atleast 2 Olympic golds. Yet he is barely talked about today. He is the best and biggest jumper ever, was a great spinner and footworker, and brought a new and bold artistry to mens skating which also revolutionized the sport. It is amazing despite being so criminally undermarked his whole career he achieved all he did. Nobody else could have.

vCash
    Elvis was probably one of the few male figure skaters who could do a hockey half-time exhibition, and not get laughed off the ice. He's a man's man, whatever the h_ll that means.

vCash
    I'd say there are at least a few of us who appreciated Elvis and what he did for Canada. I still enjoy watching video of him and get moved to tears by remembrance of being at Canadians his final season.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    I appreciate Elvis! I rate him higher than Kurt Browning. He was a fantastic competitor who always performed when it mattered most. He was a real fighter and the best jumper of his era. Having said all that... his "style" consisted of pretending to be an aeroplane on the ice he was so unartistic it became an art! This is why he lost to skaters like Urmanov and Kulik when those skated clean (which was quite rare and mostly at the Olympics)
    Last edited by Xela M; 03-28-2014 at 08:43 PM.

vCash
    I'll give you that. Graceful he wasn't, but a great jumper.

vCash
    I've always liked Elvis, and still do.

vCash
    He might be underappreciated by fans but he was OVERappreciated by the judges. He did not deserve many of his placings- 95 worlds where Eldredge should have won, 93 worlds where Urmanov should have won silver, 97 winter and 97 fall grand prix finals both where Eldredge should have placed over him, 98 Olympics short program where both Yagudin and Eldredge should have placed over him, 1999 grand prix final where Abt and Goebel should have both beaten him, 2000 worlds where he should have been out of medal contention after the short program. He used intimidation tactics, complaining about his scores constantly and potraying himself a wuzrobbed skater to the guillable media (when in reality it was just the opposite and I am sure even he knew it) to bully the judges to overmark him and it worked beautifully. He also milked the only two legitimate times he was ever undermarked, 92 Olympics and 94 Olympics where he probably deserved gold, and milked himself the victim from those events for all it was worth to gain extra marks the rest of his career. In reality the best thing that ever happened to him was to be undermarked at those two events, and gain overmarking the whole remainder of his career as compensation.

I remember once at Skate Canada he and Yagudin were clean in the short and 4 of the 9 judges put Elvis ahead, and Elvis had higher technical marks than Yagudin. How crazy is that. A skater who did literally everything better than an old Elvis- including jumps, getting lower marks from many of the judges and lower technical marks than Elvis.

vCash
    Stojko can also thank Urmanov's fluke groin injury for his 3rd world title in 1997, as he was never winning that one otherwise. Although I guess he is tougher and gutsier than Urmanov as he skated to an Olympic silver with the identical groin injury in nagano. go figure.

vCash
    I don't think Stojko was undermarked in Lillehammer. Urmanov when clean was the most beautiful skater of his generation. He was incredibly artistic and a real contrast to Stojko's "style".

vCash
    I agree Urmanov was much more artistic than Stojko, but his choreography in 1994 was some of his worst ever and it was Elvis's best ever so the artistic edge was not the same as usual. Then with Stojko so far outdoing Urmanov technically in the LP he should have won. The judges more than overcompensated Elvis by gifting him medal, marks, and titles the rest of his career though. Had the judges seen anyone else but elvis after 94 they would have gotten nowhere near the same marks or results. The biggest victim of all was Eldredge probably, but others at various times were too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by annabrown View Post
    I agree Urmanov was much more artistic than Stojko, but his choreography in 1994 was some of his worst ever and it was Elvis's best ever so the artistic edge was not the same as usual. Then with Stojko so far outdoing Urmanov technically in the LP he should have won. The judges more than overcompensated Elvis by gifting him medal, marks, and titles the rest of his career though. Had the judges seen anyone else but elvis after 94 they would have gotten nowhere near the same marks or results. The biggest victim of all was Eldredge probably, but others at various times were too.
    I watched in 1994 and I was a huuuuuge Urmanov fan, so I was over the moon when he won. Having re-watched the two programmes I still think he deserved to win. I actually loved Urmanov's 1994 long programme. Everything about him was so stylish - even his costume was beautiful. Although I'm not a technical figure skating expert, I don't believe he was overscored or that his programme differed that much in difficulty form Stojko's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGGBQbCBoW0 - Urmanov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivQ9Sb-PZEA - Stojko

vCash
    I enjoyed both Urmanov & Stojko and thought they both brought something unique to skating.

vCash
    I think most fans do appreciate Stojko pushing the sport technically. His artistry is certainly not everyone's taste (nor is it mine) but it's hard to argue against his wins when he was the only one pushing the quad and skating consistently. He was lucky in that Urmanov and Kulik were very inconsistent and Eldredge could never do the quad, but certainly, the subsequent Yagudin/Plushenko golden age owed a lot to Stojko pushing the quad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkoquad View Post
    Had they accepted his style he would have atleast 6 world titles and atleast 2 Olympic golds.
    At which two Olympics was he robbed of gold? 1994, I presume, and ???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    At which two Olympics was he robbed of gold? 1994, I presume, and ???
    No way in hell it'd be 98'. He skipped his quad and even with it, he would not have deserved to beat Kulik.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechicko_o View Post
    No way in hell it'd be 98'. He skipped his quad and even with it, he would not have deserved to beat Kulik.
    Agree. He couldn't even beat Candelaro in the free skate. I'm curious to hear the OP's answer.

vCash
    Well, he wasn't even near the podium in 1992 or 2002 so that's a bit confusing.

vCash
    He had a bad injury in 1998, if he wasn't injured, perhaps he would have won. I think that's what stojkoquad was alluding to. I agree, it would have/could have been a lot closer if Elvis wasn't injured. I appreciated his skating and his unwavering dedication to his style. He had immense talent and never once gave up on a program. He also gave a great interview on Strombo earlier this week! The king lives on...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by annabrown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechicko_o View Post
    I think most fans do appreciate Stojko pushing the sport technically. His artistry is certainly not everyone's taste (nor is it mine) but it's hard to argue against his wins when he was the only one pushing the quad and skating consistently. He was lucky in that Urmanov and Kulik were very inconsistent and Eldredge could never do the quad, but certainly, the subsequent Yagudin/Plushenko golden age owed a lot to Stojko pushing the quad.
    OK, Todd did not land the quad consistently. He did land it in one of the Masters of Figure Skating pro-ams and @ Midwestern Sectionals the season he returned to US National competition. But, let's not underestimate his talent. I truly feel that he is rather underestimated as an elite skater @ this board by a number of posters. A 6 time US champion, 6 time World medalist is pretty impressive in my book. Do I wish he (& Kurt) had Olympic medals of any color? Of course!

This is coming from a fan who appreciates both Elvis & Todd.

vCash
    Todd is probably underestimated since he skated in the shadow of Elvis his whole career, and he didn't win events like the Olympics and grand prix final like less consistent Urmanov and Kulik did. He also came in between more dominant skaters like Yagudin, Plushenko, Boitano, and Lysacek.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast