2 0.87%
  • Totmianina & Marinin

12 5.24%
  • Valova & Vasiliev

3 1.31%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Best pair team in history

It used to be believed the greatest pair team ever was Gordeeva & Grinkov. However many started staying Shen & Zhao were best ever around 2005, and even more as the years went on. Who do you believe is the best pair team in history.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Gordeeva and Grinkov are undoubtably the best pair team in history. For purity of technique, purity of unison and skating as one, not a single pair team in history even comes close.

However, watching Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze just do pair back cross overs was a joy and their power rivals G & G. Why aren't B & S a choice in the poll?

vCash
    T&M and U&M are there but no Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze ?

vCash
    Miskutienok & Dmitriev

vCash
    No Berezhnaya-Sikharulidze on this list? You even included Sale & Pelletier, Savchenko -Szolkowy and Volosozhar-Trankov. I am apalled. There is no 'Other' option either to vote for B&S. I am not voting.

vCash
    Gordeeva and Grinkov

vCash
    Rodnina/Zaitsev will always be my heroes of pairs skating. Compared to today's pairs, it's a bit of nostalgia, and I think you can't compare the teams from 40 years ago with the most recent Olympic champions. But they are legendary, especially Irina Rodnina.

Speaking of nostalgia, you might have included Kilius/Bäumler...

vCash
    I also protest, I want to see B/S on the list!!!

vCash
    I don't think you can compare most of these teams side by side; the technical content and difficulty is so different.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    What does "best" refer to for the purpose of this poll -results or impact on the sport/skills?

vCash
    Cripes, I forgot Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze. Going to remake the poll. I might as well drop Rodnina & Ulanov, Valova & Vasiliev and Totmianina & Marinin to make room since nobody will vote for them. Will add Kilius & Baumler too.

vCash
    I had never heard of Kilius & Baumler before...I see they were silver medalist from '64 and 2-time World Champs. I don't know that I've ever heard anyone say anything about them in a greatest pair of all time discussion, nor am I aware of any long-term contribution to the sport. Of course, I could be ignorant on the second part, but still...a fan of pairs since '84 shouldn't need Wikipedia to know who a candidate for "best-ever" is...

vCash
    I took best to mean a combination of things, including their overall impression with their skating, their results, their legacy in the sport, their impact on others, people's perception etc. You cannot judge the Protopopov's against anyone else in this poll. They are worlds away technically, but i don't think you'd find many people doubting that the Protopopovs are the best, or close to the best, ever.

vCash
    Easy...Shen and Zhao!! And I had the pleasure of seeing them live at 03 Worlds in DC!! The entire arena erupted at the end of their program!

vCash
    Gordeeva and Grinkov !
    And maybe the Protopopovs not far from them.
    G&G were really special, and their career has shown so many different feelings between them, and with the crowd.
    Their technique was perfect, their glide fabulous.

vCash
    This poll should have had Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze on it IMO. I wouldnt have voted for them but they are easily a top 5 or 6 pair all time and more worthy than atleast half of the options.

I picked Totmianina & Marinin not since I really think they are best ever, but since they are so underrated. Shen & Zhao on the other hand are way overrated. I hope their sitting 2nd on this poll is indicative of their extremely supportive fan base, and not that most people would pick them top 3, or most would have them over teams like the Protopopovs, Rodnina, or Miskutienok & Dmitriev. T&M and S&Z are really only pairs of the same level, indicated by their 2003-2006 rivalry which was very even.

vCash
    I think Barb Underhill lost any votes she did have for her skating with her commentary.

vCash

No Brunets?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

No Brunets?
    You're right! Thanks for mentioning them.

I voted for the protopopovs because I love their lines and admire how they skated together for so long. I haven't watched too many vids of them, but I don't recall seeing them hit a bad position. All of their moves were beautiful, especially of course their death (and life) spirals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by butyrskafanatic View Post
    This poll should have had Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze on it IMO. I wouldnt have voted for them but they are easily a top 5 or 6 pair all time and more worthy than atleast half of the options.
    There is a remade poll which has Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze in it, but no Mishkutenok/Dmitriev - http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...eam-in-history .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast