Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 542
  1. #401

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,158
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4049
    How well marketed were these? Ice Diaries shows hard working earnest girls, its more of a documentary than a Reality Show. I would have watched Jersey on ice if it was not Geo Blocked. From the looks of it, it seemed like beginners though.??

    We need Ryan Secrest!

  2. #402

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,683
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    8867
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Did anyone here watch Jersey on Ice?

    How about Ice Diaries?

    There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest.
    Nope. Ice Diaries may be more suitable for people who are already figure skaters or aspiring to be an elite figure skater. Maybe should have used skaters who have already won some international titles to draw more attention?

    Jersey on Ice .... is it a reality show or similar to Ice Diaries? Again maybe a figure skater of glamour and international standing like Michelle and Yuna may attract more attention? Or a more SYTYCD type of reality show pitting one skater against another. More drama more attention. Documentaries generally attract a niche group of people. I think we are talking about exposing figure skating to the general public.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

  3. #403
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,811
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    23556
    Jersey on Ice is like Tiaras and Toddlers only with slightly older girls and figure skating. It's everything you guys said you wanted. And no one watched it.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

  4. #404

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,936
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33055
    Put Honey Boo Boo on skates.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  5. #405
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,255
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Hasn't figure skating reportedly been dying since the 2002 Olympics? When is it actually going to be dead???

  6. #406

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    136
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Have DWTS or SYTYCD actually increased viewership of competitive ballroom dance?

  7. #407
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    820
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    We need Ryan Secrest!
    Words I thought I would never hear.

  8. #408

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,836
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1638
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Hasn't figure skating reportedly been dying since the 2002 Olympics? When is it actually going to be dead???

  9. #409
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,454
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    5546
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Jersey on Ice is like Tiaras and Toddlers only with slightly older girls and figure skating. It's everything you guys said you wanted. And no one watched it.
    Not really. It was a bunch of go-nowheres in ISI events with blowsy loudmouth female coaches who were basically all the negative Jersey stereotypes minus the fake tans and Snooki. More like "Dance Moms" if Abby only turned out crap dancers. Its problem was none of the kids were really notably talented or had any sort of outstanding personalities.

    SYTYCD doesn't help ballroom (most of what's done on that show isn't very good-they're not ballroom specialists for the most part and only a few of the ones who ARE are all that good) and I don't know about other styles. DWTS is good in the sense of getting people in the door--not as good as it used to be but the show's approach the shark-leaping point. But it's good for getting adult-beginner types.

    There WAS a show, I can't remember the name, that was basically SYTYCD for show skaters--older skaters who were never the tip-top competitors. About all I remember is the spinning contest episode and that Pasha Grishuk was a judge. I think a DWTS-style show, which has flopped twice in the US, is hard just because freestyle is what US audiences like but spins and jumps are REALLY hard to teach from scratch.

  10. #410
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,154
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46687
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Ice Diaries shows hard working earnest girls
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Nope. Ice Diaries may be more suitable for people who are already figure skaters or aspiring to be an elite figure skater. Maybe should have used skaters who have already won some international titles to draw more attention?

    Jersey on Ice .... is it a reality show or similar to Ice Diaries? Again maybe a figure skater of glamour and international standing like Michelle and Yuna may attract more attention? Or a more SYTYCD type of reality show pitting one skater against another. More drama more attention. Documentaries generally attract a niche group of people. I think we are talking about exposing figure skating to the general public.
    So just which skaters do you think they are going to find who are:

    a) not hardworking, earnest and focused on winning BUT
    b) have some international standing AND
    c) bring the drama out there and in public?

    We're talking about elite figure skaters here, yes? People who basically spend hours a day working hard, live on strict diets, can't drink, travel a lot, train primarily alone or with a very small group of people, and basically don't get out much? And in the case of USFS skaters, get media training so they know how to appear at their polished and diplomatic best in front of the cameras?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

  11. #411
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    98
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    One Person's (U.S.) Perspective

    I don't think figure skating is dying, but, rather, is simply going through a period in which it's less popular than it was several years ago. All individual sports, such as figure skating, gymnastics, and tennis, seem to wax and wane in popularity, as an inevitable cycle. The major reason for this, I believe, is because the individual sports are largely personality-driven. That is, to be popular, they need charismatic athletes who capture the public's attention and interest, and who thus draw the public to the sport. In other words, the public wants to watch athletes who are compelling and interesting, and will take the time to do so.

    Figure skating enjoyed significant popularity in the late 1980s through the early 2000s, I believe, because of such "bigger-than-life" performers as Brian Boitano, Scott Hamilton, and Kristi Yamaguchi, followed later by Michelle Kwan, who captivated the public -- which, in turn, attracted sponsors and money that funded more skating events and telecasts. Today's performers, skilled though they may be, just don't seem to have that compelling "something extra" that the aforementioned skaters possessed and which attracted audiences and viewers. "Charisma" may be a word overused, but I think it applies here.

    This is the same in gymnastics. In the early 1970s, in the U.S. at least, it was a minor sport. Then Olga Korbut came along in the 1972 Munich Olympics and captured the hearts of the world -- and gymnastics exploded in popularity. Then Nadia came along, followed in the late-1970s by the first wave of American gymnasts who could compete head to head with the East Bloc gymnasts (Kurt Thomas, Bart Connor, Rhonda Schwandt, Marcia Frederick, and Tracee Talavera). And it was during these periods when compelling gymnasts such as these were competing that gymnastics was broadcast, on non-cable network television, several times every weekend.

    Tennis, too, was very popular in the past, with such performers as Billie Jean King, Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, and others of that era. Even the Billie Jean King versus Bobby Riggs match in the early 1970s was broadcast during the primetime evening hours. Today, however, tennis lacks such compelling performers, and is thus not so popular today.

    To sum up: If charismatic "bigger-than-life" skaters once more appear on the scene, skaters the public finds compelling and interesting to watch, skaters who capture peoples' hearts, skaters who make sponsors sit up and take notice, then skating will experience a resurgence in popularity.

    I must note that these observations pertain to individual sports in the United States, and may not reflect the driving factors influencing sports popularity in other nations.

  12. #412
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,811
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    23556
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    So just which skaters do you think they are going to find who are:

    a) not hardworking, earnest and focused on winning BUT
    b) have some international standing AND
    c) bring the drama out there and in public?


    Yeah, so figure skating needs a reality tv show to bring in the viewers even though reality tv shows in other sports don't really bring in lots of viewers and, when skating has had them (3 have been mentioned here), it didn't bring in viewer. DWTS does bring adults to ballroom dancing classes. The similar skating show did too.

    BUT skating is not ballroom dancing. I can take a ballroom dancing class with my husband and at the end of it we could do 3 or 4 different dances. Maybe not well, but he could do them. He had no background whatsoever. I had background and I can ballroom dance something I've been taught with someone who knows what they are doing and if I relax and let them lead, I can do pretty much anything looking pretty good even if I really don't know what I'm doing.

    Just from taking one class, my husband and I could then go out dancing on the weekend and have fun dancing together for the rest of our lives.

    SKATING IS NOT LIKE THAT. Skating is HARD. It takes years and years of practice to get to the level you can get to in ballroom after just one year. And, if you don't have talent? Forget it. You are never getting anywhere.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

  13. #413
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,454
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    5546
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    \
    SKATING IS NOT LIKE THAT. Skating is HARD. It takes years and years of practice to get to the level you can get to in ballroom after just one year. And, if you don't have talent? Forget it. You are never getting anywhere.
    ROFL...no, it doesn't. If you can make it through some social dances with a decent lead, which is what it sounds like you can do, rather than dance relatively independently with correct technique, you're about the level of someone who maybe finished Adult Basic Skills without going on to Freestyle 1. Or even just a decent rec skater. Not even at the equivalent of Pre-pre Moves. (Which took me, with no prior dance experience and twenty years of not skating after flunking out of ISI's lowest-level class as a kid, eight months to go from 'able to skate forward' to 'pass on the first try.' Ten months had that and all three of the first dance test, too.)

    The problem is, what a decently coordinated person can learn to do in under a year isn't good TV. I was a better skater in one year than I was a ballroom dancer, but you REALLY have to know what you're watching to tell with dance. DWTS can cover up that most of the stars are, by and large, crappy dancers, with pretty choreo designed to cover their flaws and LOOK flashy. With rare exceptions like Bristol (where Mark basically taught her like the person off the street she essentially was) they don't learn much in the way of actual technique, but the pros can make it LOOK good enough for the average untrained viewer. Because so many people seem to have trouble just standing up on skates, and because all most viewers have ever been exposed to are elite-level skaters, you can't get away with that with skating. Even in ice dance, you can't lead someone through a routine they're not really able to execute correctly. The DWTS format wouldn't work.

    Really, unless you have a 'follow the skater' reality show (and not like Johnny's because his show is not about skating, it's about Johnny as a brand/celeb) with a REALLY accessible skater/s that a good cross-section of viewers will identify with AND WHO THEY WOULD SEE ELSEWHERE, it wouldn't work. You can't fake it like with dance, and it's not like SYTYCD where there's any real career/celebrity value that near-elite skaters would want to do it instead of compete in some way or teach. DWTS format, it's too easy to tell bad skating where you can't tell bad dancing.

    I think the point made upthread about needing more chances to see skaters BEFORE one (tape-delayed, edited, aired at a bad time) Nationals broadcast would be better. Also, when there were pro competitions, say what you will but probably the biggest reason people liked them were they knew those skaters. They could see a 'rematch' (Nancy vs. Oksana, etc) and what I think some serious Skate Fans don't quite get is that the average viewer didn't CARE that it was a silly competition with Rock and Roll or USA vs the World or two different Professional Championships. They liked that they were seeing skaters they knew and either liked or hated but either way it was a strong opinion.

  14. #414

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,936
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33055
    With reality shows like DWTS and DOI, is they don't actually focus on the sport for sports sake. We are meant to admire these celebrities for what they achieve in a short space of time, regardless that whether they do it really well or not. And then you have eville judges who are there to put them down, which in turns make the audience feel sorry for the celebrity because it doesn't matter whether the feedback is correct or not, if it is anyway negative, then the judge is eville and must be booed by the audience.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  15. #415
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,811
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    23556
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    ROFL...no, it doesn't. If you can make it through some social dances with a decent lead, which is what it sounds like you can do, rather than dance relatively independently with correct technique, you're about the level of someone who maybe finished Adult Basic Skills without going on to Freestyle 1. Or even just a decent rec skater. Not even at the equivalent of Pre-pre Moves. (Which took me, with no prior dance experience and twenty years of not skating after flunking out of ISI's lowest-level class as a kid, eight months to go from 'able to skate forward' to 'pass on the first try.' Ten months had that and all three of the first dance test, too.)
    It took me 10 years to be at the point where I could possibly pass Pre-pre Moves. (I didn't actually get to take them before I stopped skating so I don't even know for sure I would have passed.) I was working on Bronze dances and not really close to passing them. I was a really bad ice skater. I got where I got through shear hard work.

    But I can dance independently with correct technique. I'm just saying, if I don't know the dance, I can also get dragged through it if I know some of the basic steps if the partner knows what they are doing. Dancing on the floor, I do have some okay talent at. Skating, not so much.

    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Also, when there were pro competitions, say what you will but probably the biggest reason people liked them were they knew those skaters. They could see a 'rematch' (Nancy vs. Oksana, etc) and what I think some serious Skate Fans don't quite get is that the average viewer didn't CARE that it was a silly competition with Rock and Roll or USA vs the World or two different Professional Championships. They liked that they were seeing skaters they knew and either liked or hated but either way it was a strong opinion.
    Yes, but did this lead to more interest in watching elite skating? I'm not sure it did. Those Pro competition eventually dried up too and a lot of the people who watched them seemed kind of confused and unhappy when they watched something like Worlds.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

  16. #416

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,235
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11128
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Jersey on Ice is like Tiaras and Toddlers only with slightly older girls and figure skating. It's everything you guys said you wanted. And no one watched it.
    Jersey on Ice had little to do with skaters; it was designed to showcase 3 loud, obnoxious coaches with minimal credentials (their skaters were very low level competing at ISI competitions, not USFS events). It was produced in the hopes it would catch on and be the "Jersey Shore" of figure skating. Thankfully, it bombed and died a quick death. It was the LAST thing the sport needed.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

  17. #417
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,811
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    23556
    I think a reality skating show is the last thing skating needs. There is no way to make a reality show that is respectful to skating and will get the ratings and lead to interest in skating. If it's respectful to skating, like Ice Diaries, oh it's too much like a documentary. If it's trashy so the public watches it like Jersey Shore, oh that's bad for skating. Let's face it, we've had respectful (Ice Diaries), we had trashy (Jersey on Ice), we had celebrities learning to skate (various), we had a show that focused on a skater as a person (Be Good Johnny). We also have shows on the tv on the weekend (Disson and SOI).

    Of course, I also don't think skating is particularly dying. As was pointed out, the skating programs at the rinks are as busy as they ever were. Skating is shown in it's entirety all over the world as a serious sport, too.

    The only problem is that skating isn't shown as much on Network TV in the US as it used to be and that some competitions don't sell as well as hoped. The competitions not selling has always been an issue IME. Once in a while you get a dud. And some competitions never sell -- like SkAm. It would be nice to fix that.

    Skating on US TV is a harder nut to crack and I don't think that can be fixed. I'm not even sure it's a problem. TV is changing and TV isn't what it once was. I can see a day when broadcast tv doesn't even exist.

    I'd like to improve access to skating on cable and make internet streaming more reliable and more accessible to the average fan. I see that as the future. If we do that, we'll get new fans and younger fans.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

  18. #418

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,683
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    8867
    Based on the above comments, sounds like reality show like Jersey on Ice is not helping, and SYTYCD type of show may not attract enough figure skaters of certain level to participate in the U.S. I agree with MacMadame that learning to dance is easier to skate (IMO.. because I am born Not to skate).

    I don't know about others but my first interest in figure skating is from watching the World competitions in the 1990's on t.v. As figure skating competitions are now not televised on t.v. anymore, internet has allowed me to access the competitions. 6.0 or ISU has no bearing on my interest in figure skating. My favourites may come and go but not my interest. It is similar for other sports I am interested in. And I think if there is an Australian competing at elite level, it will increase the chance of me parting with big bucks to attend expensive competitions like Worlds.

    I don't know about the American culture or market. But IMO, looks the American sponsors are only interested in dominant and good looking competitors (which I think is understandable). I think the downturn may be due to the vacuum created when your dominant and good looking Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen retired. Insofar, none of your ladies seem to be able to stepped into their shoes yet (in winning World and Olympic medals)? I don't think USA is lacking the talents to take over where Michelle and Sasha have left. I think if Ashley or Gracie or whoever can dominate and start winning medals at the Grand Prix and World competitions, t.v. and sponsorship interest will follow. You just need a 'winner'! And 'winners' do help increase the level interest in the sport. Whether they will last or not, IMO, depends on whether their interest is actually due to interest in the sport itself or the winner. I think the former will prevail. My family who is not into cycling became passionate in cycling very briefly simply because we watched just to root for the first ever Australian, Cadel Evans to win the Tour de France.

    As for t.v. screening of sports, unless it is a mainstream male-dominated sport, I don't think the t.v. is interested. Only rugby in Australia has regular slots on t.v. All other sports you will have to subscribe to a sports channel to watch the competitions.

    BTW, why are the judges blamed for reduced popularity in figure skating? For heaven's sake, most are paid pittance to judge the competitions and most are doing it out of passionate love for the sport. Maybe judges are paid tons in USA but certainly not in Australia. Many non-profit organisations here rely on volunteers for survival. How about Europe and Asia? Anyone care to elaborate?

    Agree with you all that DWTS is not serious dancing. It's more celeb focused rather than serious dancing. Aussie Willy, there used to be a SBS program on ballroom and latin dancing competition. Unfortunately, I don't remember coming across this program anymore. I enjoy this program very much.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

  19. #419

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,158
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4049
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Based on the above comments, sounds like reality show like Jersey on Ice is not helping, and SYTYCD type of show may not attract enough figure skaters of certain level to participate in the U.S. I agree with MacMadame that learning to dance is easier to skate (IMO.. because I am born Not to skate).

    I don't know about others but my first interest in figure skating is from watching the World competitions in the 1990's on t.v. As figure skating competitions are now not televised on t.v. anymore, internet has allowed me to access the competitions. 6.0 or ISU has no bearing on my interest in figure skating. My favourites may come and go but not my interest. It is similar for other sports I am interested in. And I think if there is an Australian competing at elite level, it will increase the chance of me parting with big bucks to attend expensive competitions like Worlds.

    I don't know about the American culture or market. But IMO, looks the American sponsors are only interested in dominant and good looking competitors (which I think is understandable). I think the downturn may be due to the vacuum created when your dominant and good looking Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen retired. Insofar, none of your ladies seem to be able to stepped into their shoes yet (in winning World and Olympic medals)? I don't think USA is lacking the talents to take over where Michelle and Sasha have left. I think if Ashley or Gracie or whoever can dominate and start winning medals at the Grand Prix and World competitions, t.v. and sponsorship interest will follow. You just need a 'winner'! And 'winners' do help increase the level interest in the sport. Whether they will last or not, IMO, depends on whether their interest is actually due to interest in the sport itself or the winner. I think the former will prevail. My family who is not into cycling became passionate in cycling very briefly simply because we watched just to root for the first ever Australian, Cadel Evans to win the Tour de France.

    As for t.v. screening of sports, unless it is a mainstream male-dominated sport, I don't think the t.v. is interested. Only rugby in Australia has regular slots on t.v. All other sports you will have to subscribe to a sports channel to watch the competitions.

    BTW, why are the judges blamed for reduced popularity in figure skating? For heaven's sake, most are paid pittance to judge the competitions and most are doing it out of passionate love for the sport. Maybe judges are paid tons in USA but certainly not in Australia. Many non-profit organisations here rely on volunteers for survival. How about Europe and Asia? Anyone care to elaborate?

    Agree with you all that DWTS is not serious dancing. It's more celeb focused rather than serious dancing. Aussie Willy, there used to be a SBS program on ballroom and latin dancing competition. Unfortunately, I don't remember coming across this program anymore. I enjoy this program very much.
    This is not true. AFL is on normal TV all the time. Tennis is broadcast also. Im not a big tv person, I dont have foxtel and the only other sport to skating that I enjoy watching is tennis, but I am able to watch it "live" on free to air tv.

    Golf and Basketball seems to get regular air time also.

  20. #420
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    BTW, why are the judges blamed for reduced popularity in figure skating? For heaven's sake, most are paid pittance to judge the competitions and most are doing it out of passionate love for the sport. Maybe judges are paid tons in USA but certainly not in Australia. Many non-profit organisations here rely on volunteers for survival. How about Europe and Asia? Anyone care to elaborate?
    Figure skating judges are not paid. In the US their expenses are reimbursed, but in most cases it still costs someone to be a judge. (Time off work, for instance)

    I agree, popularity is not an issue for judges to consider.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 03-31-2013 at 04:57 AM.

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •