Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseAugust View Post
    I admit I haven't read the entire thread - 18 pages! I apologize if this has been discussed already. But, I think the outfits skaters wear are just too much and prevent some people from taking it seriously as a sport...at least in my family. I really wish the countries would have a simple team uniform, like in gymnastics, and let the skating speak for itself.
    I agree. Any possible new fan surfing channels and coming across a skating competition is not going to think it is a sport. I'm not against individual designs for competition outfits, but ban all embellishments--sequins/rhinestones/lace etc. The kinds of dresses used now can be for exhibition and gala events.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    The instinct to demand that things be done better is a good one but it often falls off into creating an unconstructive resistance to anything that a particular group isn't able to completely control. Either/or is always easier than accepting shades of gray.

You can present all the old discussions again and all it will show is that -- as with judging -- people with different interests, different stakes, and different temperaments will evaluate things differently.
    Totally agree.

BTW - maybe there needs to be an ice show based on 50 Shades of Grey.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I agree. Any possible new fan surfing channels and coming across a skating competition is not going to think it is a sport. I'm not against individual designs for competition outfits, but ban all embellishments--sequins/rhinestones/lace etc. The kinds of dresses used now can be for exhibition and gala events.
    oh god. i cannot disagree with this more. One of the few things that draws people to the sport are the sparkly costumes. No one is going to turn on the tv and watch a girl doing a beillman in a plain black onesie and go "now this is a sport".

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    BTW - maybe there needs to be an ice show based on 50 Shades of Grey.
    Everyone can skate to Love Story.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Plus, the ones who want it be a sport and will only be attracted to it if it's a sport will NOT BE ATTRACTED TO IT. Or they will soon stop being attracted to it. To make our sport attractive to people who have a basic disagreement with what it is at it's core is not the answer. It's certainly not sustainable.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Surely the sparkly costumes is in part what attacks thousands of little girls (and boys) to skate, that eventually become our champions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Surely the sparkly costumes is in part what attacks thousands of little girls (and boys) to skate, that eventually become our champions.
    Maybe girls, but they are probably one of the reasons why so many boys don't dig the sport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    Maybe girls, but they are probably one of the reasons why so many boys don't dig the sport.
    The whole twirling thing probably doesn't help either. Not many boys are drawn to gymnastics or ballet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    oh god. i cannot disagree with this more. One of the few things that draws people to the sport are the sparkly costumes. No one is going to turn on the tv and watch a girl doing a beillman in a plain black onesie and go "now this is a sport".
    Plenty of people watched when the likes of Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn and Dorothy wore, what would be considered today, as simple but attractive designs. No one complained. Today's excessive costuming is distracting. In fact the rules are in place requiring outfits that are sports like, but they obviously aren't being enforced.

vCash
    Plenty of people watched when the likes of Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn and Dorothy wore, what would be considered today, as simple but attractive designs. No one complained. Today's excessive costuming is distracting. In fact the rules are in place requiring outfits that are sports like, but they obviously aren't being enforced.
    But they are still pretty dresses, very much in keeping with the style of the times. There is a lot more "blingy" fashion around these days, which is reflected in the skating dresses. Same as in the 80's/early 90's with the shoulder pad dresses (and excessive hair spray).

I personally wish more skaters would adopt the more vintage dress look. So much more chic in my opinion.

I was arguing the point against plain black unitards (which actually suit less body types than dresses)

I do think skaters should be able to express themselves as they chose via costuming. We don't need any more restrictive rules.
    Last edited by AndyWarhol; 03-27-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: after though - last sentence

vCash
    I think today's costumes are a lot less excessive and distracting than the costumes in the 80s!

There is a pretty big range from rather simple to ornate, it depends on the individual. Many of the men look like they walked in off the street...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I think today's costumes are a lot less excessive and distracting than the costumes in the 80s!
    Agreed. Same can be said for their fringes/bangs.

vCash
    I reviewed picture of the current so-called best dressed women and bling was at a minimum and most often completely missing in evening wear. Costumes like Michelle wore during the later part of her career seemed more reflective of current fashion than blingy fashion. But obviously I am fighting a losing battle.
    No, we don't need any more restrictive rules, just enforcement of the ones that exist. But it will be a cold day in hell before that happens. lmao

I was encouraged at worlds that many of the men had abandoned the excessive costuming and wore costumes really reflective of their musical choices.

vCash
    I reviewed picture of the current so-called best dressed women and bling was at a minimum and most often completely missing in evening wear. Costumes like Michelle wore during the later part of her career seemed more reflective of current fashion than blingy fashion. But obviously I am fighting a losing battle.
    No, we don't need any more restrictive rules, just enforcement of the ones that exist. But it will be a cold day in hell before that happens. lmao

I was encouraged at worlds that many of the men had abandoned the excessive costuming and wore costumes really reflective of their musical choices.
    I am more than happy to debate fashion all day

If you are interested, I could send you some images of dresses that have been pulled for actresses for the logies... we can discuss the bling factor

(obviously, the logies is no oscars.. but eh, its pretty much the best we have here)

vCash

Personally I always found MK's Vera Kwan dresses dull. Also, what do you do if a more blingy costume is more reflective of the music?

Just for fun, let's compare a few World Champions with the Oscar winners from that year...
    2002: Irina Slustkaya, Halle Berry
    2004: Shizuka Arakawa, Charlize Theron
    2007: Miki Ando, Helen Mirren
    2009: Yuna Kim, Kate Winslet
    2010: Mao Asada, Sandra Bullock
    2012: Carolina Kostner, Meryl Streep

Obviously an Oscars dress and a figure skating costume are very different in purpose and it's difficult to compare the two, but I don't find the skaters particularly flashy in comparison to the actresses. And this despite Oscar fashions usually being on the conservative side compared to most red carpet events.

vCash
    Chen Lu's black and pink outfit for her Take 5 SP was very nice and not a sequin in sight.

I did not care for Weir's corsets SP outfit in Turino nor his Poker Face one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Plus, the ones who want it be a sport and will only be attracted to it if it's a sport will NOT BE ATTRACTED TO IT. Or they will soon stop being attracted to it. To make our sport attractive to people who have a basic disagreement with what it is at it's core is not the answer. It's certainly not sustainable.
    Precisely! It's like saying women would be more attracted to boxing if only the boxers would hit each other a little less. My opinion is that there's plenty of people who like skating, the problem is that only a handful of them dedicate their time to watching some of it, the others either have other priorities or just don't bother following. I've lost count of the number of women I've heard saying that they like to watch but they don't know when it's going to be on tv, or they don't have a lot of time, etc... In general, men like the big tricks, so why not try to market pairs skating to them? Promote the skaters in teen magazines, they're the right age to do that... Design different competition formats so that it's less expensive and time consuming to attend. There's plenty that can be done without changing what the sport is, but the efforts are scattered and directionless unfortunately.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    In general, men like the big tricks, so why not try to market pairs skating to them? Promote the skaters in teen magazines, they're the right age to do that... Design different competition formats so that it's less expensive and time consuming to attend.
    Those are some great ideas! And not just the same old, same old!
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I was watching a video the other day of Skate America or some other event scored under 6.0 from several years ago. I can't remember which one or who the skater was--Michelle, probably. But Terry Gannon kept referring to "the leader board"--LOL!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Those are some great ideas! And not just the same old, same old!
    Thanks! If only I had the resources to implement my ideas instead of just having them...

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast