Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Sort of like how Tara beat Michelle with a 3loop-3loop and a triple toe/half loop/triple salchow sequence at the very end of her Olympic program? Team Tara knew what they were up against.
    But Michelle also did 7 clean triples with no mistakes. Under CoP, Tara or Sarah would have had to do one or two additional 3-3s on top of their planned 3-3s to make up the PCS if any of the favorites were able to do even six clean triples with no mistakes.

If you are talking about the 2006 Olympics, Sasha got lower scores for skating skills than Irina and Shizuka in both the short and long programs. The score wasn't hugely lower, but "weak" is relative. Sasha had some weaknesses in SS, but not all.
    In the SP where all skated clean there was like a .1 difference. That's essentially the same score. However "not weak" Sasha's skating skills are, by most observers' standards it's not even close to Shizuka or Irina's skating skills. And the fact that every single apparent discrepancy in PCS judging can be explained away by saying, "Well actually her skating her skills are decent" just reinforces how subjective PCS is.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Yes. And the failures are transparent under this system, and hardly so in the old.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Yes. And the failures are transparent under this system, and hardly so in the old.
    Which provides more opportunities for people to complain.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iloveemoticons View Post
    But Michelle also did 7 clean triples with no mistakes. Under CoP, Tara or Sarah would have had to do one or two additional 3-3s on top of their planned 3-3s to make up the PCS if any of the favorites were able to do even six clean triples with no mistakes.
    What do you think Tara or Sarah's PCS scores would have been relative to Michelle's and what do you base that on?

Tara was absolutely a favorite. I don't understand how you could possibly think she was not. Sarah wasn't a favorite for gold, but she was hardly some unknown Gracie Gold.

And the fact that every single apparent discrepancy in PCS judging can be explained away by saying, "Well actually her skating her skills are decent" just reinforces how subjective PCS is.
    Who says that?

Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I do think the judges need work on PCS judging
    But your argument all along here has been that 6.0 was BETTER. So how was it better?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Complaints and skating fandom go hand in hand.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    But also improve.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    But also improve.
    Yes that is very true.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    At the 1998 Olympics Tara as the reigning World champion plus as the reigning Champion Series Final champion can be seen as a bigger or at least as an equal Gold favourite to Michelle, in my opinion.

vCash
    Figure skating is not dying, but it needs to think bigger
    http://www.figureskating-online.com/...not-dying.html

Some interesting point, some look more like this article was written by child.
    Was in Getteborg full arena at WCh& Because from TV i had impression it wasnt.
    And for sure in Nice and Torina (wich is great places for fans IMHO) arena wasnr full even at the week-end.
    And if ISU thinking its funny to have controversial results i dont know what to say. I think it will be better, if they will explane what is going on.

But still interesting to read.

a suburb of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
    vCash
    [QUOTE=iloveemoticons;3892501]But Michelle also did 7 clean triples with no mistakes.

I saw another version of Ms Kwan's LP at the 98 Olympics, and after I saw the landing of her triple flip, I let my disappointment at her loss go....Tara was on fire that night and deserved the win.

vCash
    Her flip landing was a little wonky, but technically it was clean. For some reason, Kwan did this thing after her Flip landings that season where instead of holding the landing like she would normally do for her jumps, she would move her arms put her free-leg behind her. I guess the Kwan team thought it looked prettier and showed control (would it be considered a transition after the landing?). In Nagano, her flip wasn't as controlled but she still went for the landing position as planned, so all of those factors together made it look more like a balance check that night.

vCash
    Two points, and then I'll leave you to your musings, since your hatred is not worth my time, or anyone else's.

(1) It is true that I didn't sign my name, hut that's only because none of you do, duh! It's common practice on boards and I knew you'd know who I am. How many of you sign? Funny, I see no signatures. And I never knew there's a rule against promoting your work. It's what people do in their jobs every day. Why couldn't I promote my petition? I know of no such law. If I wanted to hide, I could have made up any other unrecognizable name. Or ask a friend to post for me. But I didn't, did I? I was honest and used Saveskating, which everyone knows is me. I use the same nickname for my blog, for instance, where I have my name clearly spelled out at the top. (I don't write there anymore because I write in other places, but the blog is still there.) The last thing you can accuse me of is hiding behind anonymity. Also, the petition has MY name at the top . I could have used any other fake name. Or none at all. I used mine in plain letters for the world to see. My articles on the web all have my byline. Few people in skating dare to take on the system openly. A lot of them support me ... but privately only. I'm one of very few who do it loud and clear and don't fear to put my name on everything I write. So bash me to your heart's content on any subject that makes you happy, but NOT on the subject of anonymity.

(2) For the record, I know that this board is bashing to pieces anyone who dares speak against IJS/COP. So no one else does. Since the skating world is very much divided on the subject, I find it very odd that one board alone would be exclusively in favor of the system and full of hatred and venom for anyone who disagrees. Makes you wonder, doesn't it? The concept of respecting someone's opinion even if it's not your own doesn't seem to exist around here much. Everywhere else I can debate people in friendly discussions. Here it's open warfare. It couldn't be worse if the ISU was in charge. So I'll gracefully leave you to your bashing and your TRULY anonymous posts.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Actually, Monica, everyone here can read and has read over many years vigorous discussion on FSU of all aspects of the judging system and debates as to whether 6.0 is better, which you would see if you even bothered to read this thread.

FSU is the best place on the internet to discuss such issues with serious fans.

And there you go again. First you accuse the ISU of atrocities and now you suggest FSU is about "warfare."

Maybe if you weren't so unfailingly over the top you might be taken more seriously.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by saveskating View Post
    For the record, I know that this board is bashing to pieces anyone who dares speak against IJS/COP. So no one else does. Since the skating world is very much divided on the subject, I find it very odd that one board alone would be exclusively in favor of the system and full of hatred and venom for anyone who disagrees. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?
    Not at all, there have been plenty of civil discussions on this board about COP vs 6.0.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    In all seriousness, Monica as one who called you an idiot on this board, I have to say you're right there's a lot of venom here for people who act like fools. You published at examiner.com an article--yes under your byline--where you "reported" on your own petition as if you were just objectively reporting. Yes, anyone would see you were responsible for both but with all due respect that really made you look very foolish.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    In all seriousness, Monica as one who called you an idiot on this board, I have to say you're right there's a lot of venom here for people who act like fools. You published at examiner.com an article--yes under your byline--where you "reported" on your own petition as if you were just objectively reporting. Yes, anyone would see you were responsible for both but with all due respect that really made you look very foolish.
    Not to mention unethical. It's not enough that people can research for themselves who wrote the petition and who wrote the article on the petition, but by presenting it as you did, you gave a dishonest account of the whole situation. I think journalists should be held to a higher standard, no?

Also, true people here tend to can be mean and pounce on posters who post emotionally-fused irrational rants (or authors who write articles in a similar manner), but people give back what they get, you know?

vCash
    (2) For the record, I know that this board is bashing to pieces anyone who dares speak against IJS/COP. So no one else does. Since the skating world is very much divided on the subject, I find it very odd that one board alone would be exclusively in favor of the system and full of hatred and venom for anyone who disagrees. Makes you wonder, doesn't it? The concept of respecting someone's opinion even if it's not your own doesn't seem to exist around here much. Everywhere else I can debate people in friendly discussions. Here it's open warfare.
    It is on the contrary if you could actually read through.

People who use the most venomous languages and bashing all the time here and on other main figure skating forums are the people who are against IJS/COP.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Joined in March, has two posts, and she knows the entire history of 10+ years of all the posts about scoring that have been on FSU? Yarite.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyre View Post
    It is on the contrary if you could actually read through.
    Indeed....do a little "research", perhaps? Hopefully the concept isn't too foreign to her.

vCash

(2) For the record, I know that this board is bashing to pieces anyone who dares speak against IJS/COP. So no one else does. Since the skating world is very much divided on the subject, I find it very odd that one board alone would be exclusively in favor of the system and full of hatred and venom for anyone who disagrees. Makes you wonder, doesn't it? The concept of respecting someone's opinion even if it's not your own doesn't seem to exist around here much. Everywhere else I can debate people in friendly discussions. Here it's open warfare. It couldn't be worse if the ISU was in charge. So I'll gracefully leave you to your bashing and your TRULY anonymous posts.
    For you to assume that this forum is pro-IJS demonstrates you have not spent any time here. Over the years there have been plenty of discussions with people contributing to both sides of the debate.

However what is causing people to ridicule you is writing an article promoting a petition that you established without any reference to you being the one who established it. And you came on this forum promoting your own petition without any reference to it being you. I had no clue that Saveskating was Monica so you can't assume that everyone knows that Saveskating is your idiom. But then again you post in a thread promoting your petition.

However if you want to bring together pro and anti IJS forces together in a united front, just throw journalist credibility out the door.

vCash
    My articles on the web all have my byline.
    Boy, are you ever missing the point. Your article about the petition has your name on the article, but it doesn't say that you yourself started the petition. Why do you, as a journalist, not understand how wrong this is? Has the concept of objectivity, or conflict of interest, ever come into your reasoning?

The concept of respecting someone's opinion even if it's not your own doesn't seem to exist around here much.
    I don't respect the opinion of someone who is deceitful in their reporting.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast