Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 542
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,428
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    312

    Figure skating is dying, and judges can't prop it up

    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Overjoyed for Evan
    Posts
    8,651
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1341
    It really helps if you post more than a link, such as a blurb or a short excerpt.
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    In Canuck Land, hey!
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,781
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yet another from Christine Brennan. She's doesn't she ever get tired of writing the same type of drivel. I mean, does she really believe this?
    In response, they shelved the sport's immensely popular but flawed 6.0 scoring system for an anonymous points-based system that few truly understand to this day. Even though it has produced some fairer results, this was a huge marketing mistake. The 6.0 system was reality TV before there was reality TV. It was Dancing with the Stars before anyone ever heard of the show, with the flags of the judges' countries and their scores superimposed over the skater watching in the aptly named "Kiss and Cry" area. Every TV show on earth wanted what skating had, and skating gave it all away.
    Crazy about sports!

  4. #4
    Go Denmark!
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,596
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2418
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Yet another from Christine Brennan. She's doesn't she ever get tired of writing the same type of drivel. I mean, does she really believe this?

    So basically she says that we now have a sport and not a reality show?! I prefer the sport...

  5. #5
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,294
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16342
    Reuters' article is titled "Glitzy Gala cannot hide figure skating warts": http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92G0I220130317
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,928
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    So basically she says that we now have a sport and not a reality show?! I prefer the sport...
    I fail to see how what went down in the men's was "sport"

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1098
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I fail to see how what went down in the men's was "sport"
    bek. Step away from the keyboard. Take a deep breath. Please. Your obsessive-compulsive posting about Chan's win across multiple forums is sad to watch.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    4,742
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3655
    Lather, rinse, repeat...

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,928
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1227 View Post
    bek. Step away from the keyboard. Take a deep breath. Please. Your obsessive-compulsive posting about Chan's win across multiple forums is sad to watch.
    I'm just bored.. I will get over it in a day! Its called I have been tired all day and after Mass wanting to laze around...Tommorrow I"ll be focused on work! work! work....Plus nobody in real life watches skating so this is my way to vent!......

    I just get upset because this is ruining my favorite sport.
    Last edited by bek; 03-18-2013 at 03:41 AM.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    He's fine! He sends his love!
    Posts
    2,038
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    947
    Christine Brennan is a lousy writer, but it can't be denied that the popularity of the sport has dropped like a stone in the U.S., even before Tonya and Nancy there would often be live telecasts of the ladies FS on network television.

  11. #11
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,513
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6860
    And even before CoP the sport was disappearing from network tv.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,928
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    And even before CoP the sport was disappearing from network tv.
    I honestly think skating got over saturated. However everything went down hill after 2002 Double Gold controversy!..

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    22
    Posts
    12,933
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I fail to see how what went down in the men's was "sport"
    Very true, just another black eye to the sport, at a time when it cant take anymore of them.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,702
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I did notice how small the rink was.. I was surprised because it was in Canada.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Age
    41
    Posts
    8,565
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1475
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    Christine Brennan is a lousy writer, but it can't be denied that the popularity of the sport has dropped like a stone in the U.S., even before Tonya and Nancy there would often be live telecasts of the ladies FS on network television.
    Huh? Christine is a fantastic writer-- if she weren't, she wouldn't have the job that she has, and she wouldn't have the respect within the industry that she does (and she does-- I've seen it firsthand). If you don't like what she writes, that's fine, but she is definitely skilled at her craft. What Christine is bringing to light is that the average person who might have been watching the Latvian feed (ha!) would not understand why Chan won over Ten. Skating fans might get it, but the average viewer does not. And honestly, there are enough SKATERS who are complaining about that specific result that I tend to think that there might be some merit to it.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,283
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    44646
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    Christine Brennan is a lousy writer, but it can't be denied that the popularity of the sport has dropped like a stone in the U.S., even before Tonya and Nancy there would often be live telecasts of the ladies FS on network television.
    I agree that the popularity of FS is at the lowest I have ever seen, and I have been watching this since 1984, and been an avid fan since 1988. Nancy-Tonya episode may have given it more publicity, but long before that, our networks used to show most major competitions, and pro competitions, plus exhibitions that were actually interesting. I don't believe that 2002 Olympics made the sport less popular either. Our networks have simply dropped it and I can't understand why. ESPN does not mind showing high school girls' basketball games, but they won't show world figure skating championships. Clearly they don't see FS as a sport. I do believe they are wrong, but who can convince them (or any other network) to bring back FS on TV?

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    Posts
    7,531
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6730
    The Latvian feed must have gotten record breaking ratings.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,283
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    44646
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I did notice how small the rink was.. I was surprised because it was in Canada.
    I don't remember where 1993 Skate Canada was, but I remember Katia Gordeeva hit the wall on a throw when she landed it. I vaguely remember the commentator saying (paraphrasing) that the rink was smaller than those in the USA. Of course G&G were not from the USA, but I am assuming that the rinks in Russia are bigger than the one at SC that time. Could that be the case in London, ONT? I always thought that the practice sessions would help the skaters adjust their routines with the size of the rink. Apparently they cannot.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,702
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I don't remember where 1993 Skate Canada was, but I remember Katia Gordeeva hit the wall on a throw when she landed it. I vaguely remember the commentator saying (paraphrasing) that the rink was smaller than those in the USA. Of course G&G were not from the USA, but I am assuming that the rinks in Russia are bigger than the one at SC that time. Could that be the case in London, ONT? I always thought that the practice sessions would help the skaters adjust their routines with the size of the rink. Apparently they cannot.
    I meant how small the venue was.. not the rink. lol

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    He's fine! He sends his love!
    Posts
    2,038
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    947
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Huh? Christine is a fantastic writer-- if she weren't, she wouldn't have the job that she has, and she wouldn't have the respect within the industry that she does (and she does-- I've seen it firsthand). If you don't like what she writes, that's fine, but she is definitely skilled at her craft. What Christine is bringing to light is that the average person who might have been watching the Latvian feed (ha!) would not understand why Chan won over Ten. Skating fans might get it, but the average viewer does not. And honestly, there are enough SKATERS who are complaining about that specific result that I tend to think that there might be some merit to it.
    I disagree, and David Foster Wallace for one agrees with my assessment as evidenced in an essay he wrote;I could provide a link, but I really think my life will have reached its nadir if I wind up in an on-line argument about the merits of Christine Brennan's writing, so please let's end this here.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •