Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    Yes, he does and my bet is that's intentional, too. He has to. They are presenting Don Jose as the abusive male. In psychology, that grab is a red flag to identify an abusive relationship.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but are they the first couple to show the abusive nature of Carmen and Don José`s relationship? Because all the Carmens I've seen in dance either try to romanticize their relationship as a Romeo and Juliet tragedy or try to pass frantic flailing arms and sour faces as choreography.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parapluies View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but are they the first couple to show the abusive nature of Carmen and Don José`s relationship? Because all the Carmens I've seen in dance either try to romanticize their relationship as a Romeo and Juliet tragedy or try to pass frantic flailing arms and sour faces as choreography.
    I think they showed a lot of nuances about carmen that most people would not get. Tessa said it herself that there is meaning behind the moves that not many would catch up on but it's important to them.

vCash
    You be the judge:

Krylova & Ovsiannakov
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oFAnymw0YU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    You be the judge:

Krylova & Ovsiannakov
    Oh my god what am I watching

vCash
    You're watching a legendary 'Carmen' program. Yes, it might not be your taste, but that doesn't make it bad. That program/choreography was meant to be exaggerated and even grotesque. But, just like Tessa and Scott's program, not all people can understand something like that .

YEAH!
    vCash
    Looking at those gifs (thank you so much!)... I see Pink Floyd in show lighting... where is that from?

vCash
    You be the judge:

Krylova & Ovsiannakov
    I even appreciate Tessa and Scott's Carmen a million times over. The power struggle between the two characters and the general dynamism of their relationship wasn't as apparent to me as it is in T/S's version. But they might have been going for a different interpretation. In regards to parapluies question, I would say Tessa and Scott nailed that aspect of displaying the volatile relationship between Don Jose and Carmen.
    Last edited by Shayii; 04-02-2013 at 02:20 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    I even appreciate Tessa and Scott's Carmen a million times over. The power struggle between the two characters and the general dynamism of their relationship wasn't as apparent to me as it is in T/S's version. But they might have been going for a different interpretation. In regards to parapluies question, I would say Tessa and Scott nailed that aspect of displaying the volatile relationship between Don Jose and Carmen.
    Yeah Krylova & Ovsiannakov version doesn't really focus on Carmen and Don José's relationship. In my opinion it focuses more on Carmen and Don José as individuals.

vCash

I think K&O's Carmen was very interesting and fresh take. Well fresh compared to other Carmen programs but it's clearly based on Mats Ek's Carmen he did for the Cullberg Ballet. Just watch to see the body movements and interpretation similarities in both pieces.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IoU4_fDLnM

So it doesn't show Carmen in the "Romeo and Juliet romance-tragedy" sense which I would say is the only similarity between K&O's and V&M's.

I imagine that was the implication the poster above was trying to make. But other than that the programs are nothing alike. V&M goes more for the raw sexuality, coldness and manipulative relationship and it can relate to the dynamics of any abusive relationship. Mats Ek was more about the madness from my pov.

vCash
    Yeah Krylova & Ovsiannakov version doesn't really focus on Carmen and Don José's relationship. In my opinion it focuses more on Carmen and Don José as individuals.
    Yea, I think I agree with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    I think K&O's Carmen was very interesting and fresh take. Well fresh compared to other Carmen programs but it's clearly based on Mats Ek's Carmen he did for the Cullberg Ballet. Just watch to see the body movements and interpretation similarities in both pieces.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IoU4_fDLnM

So it doesn't show Carmen in the "Romeo and Juliet romance-tragedy" sense which I would say is the only similarity between K&O's and V&M's.

I imagine that was the implication the poster above was trying to make. But other than that the programs are nothing alike. V&M goes more for the raw sexuality, coldness and manipulative relationship and it can relate to the dynamics of any abusive relationship. Mats Ek was more about the madness from my pov.
    And this. The programs are so different and that's not to say K/O's version was bad, but I really appreciate Tessa and Scott's commitment to making every movement in their program have a meaning and the modern dance elements they incorporated in there.

vCash
    You be the judge:

Krylova & Ovsiannakov
    Not sure what you wanted me to judge, but here's my toonie's worth of opinion.

Krylova's Carmen is electric and strong. None of this "ohhhh, I soooooooooooooo in love" BS for her. She sees what she wants and she goes after it. I see some parallels with V/M's take on it, like the going crazy part and how both ended with Carmen seemingly the victor. And as the story supposedly goes, at that point, she was. I see that both of these teams decided to not take the story to it's apparent conclusion. Doesn't make it wrong, only different. Different isn't always a bad thing.

One thing I did notice was the number of stoppages in the dance -- time to catch one's breath, perhaps, given how fast they moved across the ice. Stoppages was something you didn't see in V/M's version. Tessa & Scott were always moving, always performing, doing so quickly and incorporating a great deal of difficulty. It's too bad they were not really rewarded with it.

Listening to old Dickie -- his comments were quite funny. He didn't like it because it wasn't the "usual" Carmen. He found her to be OTT in her expression although he did say her face was riveting. I don't think he meant it as a compliment. I wonder what he thought of V/M's take on Carmen which was less OTT yet more seductive.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Has Krylova commented at all about Virtue and Moir's Carmen? She's amazing, and I'd think would appreciate what Tessa and Scott did with their skate this year!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSGP21 View Post
    Has Krylova commented at all about Virtue and Moir's Carmen? She's amazing, and I'd think would appreciate what Tessa and Scott did with their skate this year!
    Not that I'm aware. She had great things to say last season but I think this season Krylova had more than enough on her plate with her injured teams. Also P&B had a disappointing result, Didier is pissed off, so I don't think Angelika commenting on other teams at this point is in her best interest.

vCash
    You be the judge:

Krylova & Ovsiannakov
    Thank you. Before this season, when we found T-S will use Carmen for FD, we watched all on ice Carmens and off- ice Carmens too
    Of couse, we watched famouse K-O "Carmen". You could see all "Carmen" in iggie amazing blog (if you want).
    For me the difference K-O and V-M "Carmen" - is Tessa. If Anjelica were very agressive and strong, when Tessa show all kind of emotions - she play with Don José at the begining, she love him in the middle part and she want to be free, she is aressiveand of couse, then we saw her madness. She get what she want, but she isnt open agressive fighter, like Anjelika, but she play with José`like reall woman and killed him, when she didnt need him anymore.
    In B-B Carmen version, for example, they didnt show love site of Carmen and José`realtionshios. But V-M did this. I think it was Zoueva plan - to show all emotions in this relationships with strong love theme in the middle.
    Maybe i am wrong. But this is my interpretation of V-N FD.

vCash
    Ice Revue 2013 - Memories (40 universaty Ilderton Skating Club).
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9714569&type=1

vCash
    I like the photo where Scott is looking at Tessa from the table, it's cute.

vCash
    It is so amazing how they have this entire town behind them. It is something that doesn't happen very often in this sport.

vCash
    It's the return of the "yellow people"! Actually I thought it kind of cute. Was that Scott wearing a yellow vest as opposed to the others who wore T-shirts? Whoever it was, it made me feel co-o-o-o-o-o-o-old.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    I thought that was his brother. His nose is a bit longer

Banned Member
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Thank you. Before this season, when we found T-S will use Carmen for FD, we watched all on ice Carmens and off- ice Carmens too
    Of couse, we watched famouse K-O "Carmen". You could see all "Carmen" in iggie amazing blog (if you want).
    For me the difference K-O and V-M "Carmen" - is Tessa. If Anjelica were very agressive and strong, when Tessa show all kind of emotions - she play with Don José at the begining, she love him in the middle part and she want to be free, she is aressiveand of couse, then we saw her madness. She get what she want, but she isnt open agressive fighter, like Anjelika, but she play with José`like reall woman and killed him, when she didnt need him anymore.
    In B-B Carmen version, for example, they didnt show love site of Carmen and José`realtionshios. But V-M did this. I think it was Zoueva plan - to show all emotions in this relationships with strong love theme in the middle.
    Maybe i am wrong. But this is my interpretation of V-N FD.
    you have a point. With Krylova all you see is anger and delerium. Carmen isn't a one dimensional (or rather 2 dimensional) character that is always angry and crazy (maybe to Bizet and Prosper Mérimée she was so I guess you can say that krylova's Carmen was accurate .) With tessa you see a bigger range of emotions that are albeit subtle.tessa's Carmen is flirtatious, angry, confused, scared, and you can really see carmen's self-destructive personality. just because someone doesn't go over the top when it comes to projecting emotions doesn't mean they aren't.

Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast