Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 580 of 1012
  1. #561
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    Posts
    420
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    skate canada posted a new picture!
    http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...43052925_o.jpg

  2. #562
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    They weren't allowed to use the Latin Trio curve lift because Tessa didn't hit and hold a difficult position for 3 seconds. That lift (and the Funny Face curve lift) was glorious because it was all continuous motion. The continuous motion is what makes it level two (Scott earns the level because he's in a difficult position.) Level four requires both get into and hold a difficult position for 3 seconds, or two positions. Recall that they changed their FF curve lift specifically because of that. This isn't unheard of. It doesn't affect just V/M. If you wish me to list counterexamples, I'll be glad to do so, but I can find at least one for virtually every major skater. Sometimes a skater grabs a blade a millisecond too late to get the rotations. Sometimes a position isn't held long enough in a spin.

    No, V/M's issue stems from their own ambition. They went for VERY technically challenging, sophisticated choreography. While doing so, they not only attempted ALL new elements. While doing a technically challenging layout to all new elements, they also went out of their comfort zone artistically. The ambition mean that not everyone liked it (edgier programs tend to be less acclaimed because they're uncomfortable, and V/M's programs could certainly fit the bill - hell, as much as I loved it, the audacity was astonishing). They gave themselves a HUGE hurdle. Do I feel the judging was wrong? Yes. I think that the originality of movement, unity of purpose and just plain old brilliance of their interpretation outweighed the flaws, and I think the judges let themselves get caught by the superficially emotional aspects of D/W's choreography. The judges didn't agree, and I'd love to hear why. Maybe I'm foolish, but I don't think it's because of double standards affecting V/M, and I find this POV a little alienating in this thread.

    Do I want them to win the Olympics next year? Yes. Do I think they need to be more classic V/M to do so? Maybe. Will it bother me? No. Because, frankly, classic V/M is still all time list amazing. And yes, a Jennifer Swann-choreographed Swan Lake is sorta my dream right now.

  3. #563

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,892
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    …The judges didn't agree, and I'd love to hear why. Maybe I'm foolish, but I don't think it's because of double standards affecting V/M, and I find this POV a little alienating in this thread…
    I'd like I know why too. I've been thinking a lot about what my friend that only watches skating every four years said. Maybe judges want dance to go a certain direction because they feel that's more accessible to the general audience--it's easier to get and people might be more easily swept up into it. Maybe they don't want the bother of having to explain why one program wins/should win. Or why a team wins/should win. This is all my speculation of course, I'll love to know the real deal.

  4. #564
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    Posts
    420
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    They weren't allowed to use the Latin Trio curve lift because Tessa didn't hit and hold a difficult position for 3 seconds. That lift (and the Funny Face curve lift) was glorious because it was all continuous motion. The continuous motion is what makes it level two (Scott earns the level because he's in a difficult position.) Level four requires both get into and hold a difficult position for 3 seconds, or two positions. Recall that they changed their FF curve lift specifically because of that. This isn't unheard of. It doesn't affect just V/M. If you wish me to list counterexamples, I'll be glad to do so, but I can find at least one for virtually every major skater. Sometimes a skater grabs a blade a millisecond too late to get the rotations. Sometimes a position isn't held long enough in a spin.

    No, V/M's issue stems from their own ambition. They went for VERY technically challenging, sophisticated choreography. While doing so, they not only attempted ALL new elements. While doing a technically challenging layout to all new elements, they also went out of their comfort zone artistically. The ambition mean that not everyone liked it (edgier programs tend to be less acclaimed because they're uncomfortable, and V/M's programs could certainly fit the bill - hell, as much as I loved it, the audacity was astonishing). They gave themselves a HUGE hurdle. Do I feel the judging was wrong? Yes. I think that the originality of movement, unity of purpose and just plain old brilliance of their interpretation outweighed the flaws, and I think the judges let themselves get caught by the superficially emotional aspects of D/W's choreography. The judges didn't agree, and I'd love to hear why. Maybe I'm foolish, but I don't think it's because of double standards affecting V/M, and I find this POV a little alienating in this thread.

    Do I want them to win the Olympics next year? Yes. Do I think they need to be more classic V/M to do so? Maybe. Will it bother me? No. Because, frankly, classic V/M is still all time list amazing. And yes, a Jennifer Swann-choreographed Swan Lake is sorta my dream right now.


    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    I'd like I know why too. I've been thinking a lot about what my friend that only watches skating every four years said. Maybe judges want dance to go a certain direction because they feel that's more accessible to the general audience--it's easier to get and people might be more easily swept up into it. Maybe they don't want the bother of having to explain why one program wins/should win. Or why a team wins/should win. This is all my speculation of course, I'll love to know the real deal.
    the thing is d/w are too contrived to be accessible everything about them just screams "fake"
    and honestly v/m's carmen was much more accessible than notredamedeboring because of the music

  5. #565
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    827
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowkisses View Post
    Just curious if this is Team Canada where is Andrei Rogozine? Just wondering.....
    Quote Originally Posted by whoa View Post
    My mom watched the Worlds performance of Carmen today (her first time watching V/M) and she thought it was a gala piece - apparently the music wasn't dramatic enough for her! She asked why they were skating to such "light" music at an important competition. I can't decide whether this is a case of not knowing enough [ice dancing] music or knowing too much music.

  6. #566

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,892
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I disagree that Carmen was more accessible. It wasn't. It made you think and some people still don't get it. You can tell by all the people that were saying they weren't really telling the story of Carmen or the people that just see it as some vulgar dance.

  7. #567
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    347
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    I think it's the first lift where she hops into his arms horizontally. I LOVED that entrance. If they did do a ballet FD that lift (the entrance especially) would work really well.
    Yes, that's the lift. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...W25BJa6g#t=88s

  8. #568
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    827
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    I disagree that Carmen was more accessible. It wasn't. It made you think and some people still don't get it. You can tell by all the people that were saying they weren't really telling the story of Carmen or the people that just see it as some vulgar dance.
    ITA that was the brillance of it. Unfortunately a lot of people don't like to think.

  9. #569

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,892
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    ITA that was the brillance of it. Unfortunately a lot of people don't like to think.
    Bingo! It's kind of like the movie Inception for me. I had to watch it twice when it came out to get it. And when I did I thought it was absolute genius--so different and unlike any other movie that had been coming out. But I had a few friends that just couldn't wrap their heads around it even after second or third viewing, so they decided it wasn't really a great movie. Some times it's just "easier" to watch Iron Man.

  10. #570
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    Posts
    420
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    I disagree that Carmen was more accessible. It wasn't. It made you think and some people still don't get it. You can tell by all the people that were saying they weren't really telling the story of Carmen or the people that just see it as some vulgar dance.
    to me carmen was more accessible because of the music. IMO it made me forget it's past connotations and appreciate and focus on the music
    Last edited by rainbowkisses; 03-28-2013 at 04:17 AM.

  11. #571

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,892
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think we need something to cheer us up in this thread. Meyers updated her album with gala pictures and there are so many great pics in there: http://s897.photobucket.com/user/Ore...la%20practice#. Some of her favs were mine too: Tessa dipping Scott, in their own world, and whatever is going on here. Thanks Meyers!

  12. #572
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,124
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    I think we need something to cheer us up in this thread. Meyers updated her album with gala pictures and there are so many great pics in there: http://s897.photobucket.com/user/Ore...la%20practice#. Some of her favs were mine too: Tessa dipping Scott, in their own world, and whatever is going on here. Thanks Meyers!
    Thanks. I like seeing photos where they are interacting with other skaters. During competition they put on their game face so there are nice glimpses when they are more relaxed. I would love to see them training alongside some of their Canadian teammates (like W&P, that would be such a positive environment I think).

    Great pics and thanks for sharing!

  13. #573

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,470
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3806
    Beautiful.....thnx for sharing Shayii
    Addicted to FSU

  14. #574

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    In Canuck Land, hey!
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,819
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2416
    After looking at them all, I wonder what happened inbetween this photo and this one cause either Tessa is enjoying a real giggle or she's cold? My vote -- giggling at something that Kurt probably said. We all know how much he enjoys cracking jokes.
    Crazy about sports!

  15. #575
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The airport
    Posts
    1,242
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Many excellent pictures, thank you so much for sharing them with us, Meyers. Loved the ones with Yuna. So sweet. But my absolute favorite is this one.

  16. #576

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,892
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    No problem guys, but I don't deserve any thanks. It's all Meyers I just link them here.

    Ok this is for you rainbow, but can you please stop posting irrelevant things that happened four years ago and no one agrees with including V/M fans. This is what, like the third time you've brought up this culture appropriation business now? It's getting annoying and old. I rather talk about important things in relation to Tessa and Scott's skating and how they're being under appreciated and how Skate Canada sucks and how they'll probably be better off with Igor at this point than Marina. Come on.

  17. #577
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    Posts
    420
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    No problem guys, but I don't deserve any thanks. It's all Meyers I just link them here.

    Ok this is for you rainbow, but can you please stop posting irrelevant things that happened four years ago and no one agrees with including V/M fans. This is what, like the third time you've brought up this culture appropriation business now? It's getting annoying and old. I rather talk about important things in relation to Tessa and Scott's skating and how they're being under appreciated and how Skate Canada sucks and how they'll probably be better off with Igor at this point than Marina. Come on.
    can you not bring it in this thread?

  18. #578

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,892
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowkisses View Post
    can you not bring it in this thread?
    What? And why ever not? You're doing this on purpose, aren't you?

  19. #579
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    Posts
    420
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    What? And why ever not? You're doing this on purpose, aren't you?
    I don't want to talk about it in this thread.
    lets keep this thread positive. please pm me if you want to talk to me

  20. #580
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    587
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I am so grateful to have people like Iggie and Meyers who bring so much to this this forum. I have no technical skills whatsoever, and never get to see live competitions. So for me this is an unbelievable blessing and great treat. So, thanks everyone who is able to contribute such largesse to people like me.

Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •