vCash

alexei yagudin throwing ice appreciation thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEfR4dQ8wAw

forgot how much of a god he was. i haven't watched this in years. i know skaters today are doing such technically difficult programs but i miss these incredibly unique choreographic flourishes we used to get. it is a sport so that's fine and dandy but more difficult doesn't necessarily mean more visually effective

and lmao i think some of the ice he threw landed on the judges

vCash
    Although it is certainly effective, I've always wondered why this snow throwing move not count as using a prop which is a violation against the rules for competitive skating.

vCash
    Tarasova seems to love to use snow as a prop. I always wondered why Platov put snow in his pants at :21 My only theory is that when the ice melted it made it look like he spunked himself. Fitting with the theme of the program, anyway.

Last edited by Dr.Siouxs; 04-19-2013 at 06:44 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Tarasova seems to love to use snow as a prop. I always wondered why Platov put snow in his pants at :21
    I knew exactly what moment you were talking about. I always assumed there was a stone or something from a previous skater's costume on the ice that he wanted to make sure not to trip over.

And in an earlier group that evening, didn't Jarod Swallow go back on the ice after the program, find a screw or something, and bring it to the referee as a reason for why they had fallen in their program? Not that there was anything that could be done about that after the fact, except remove the foreign object for the sake of future skaters.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Punsalan & Swallow were screwed!!
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    Although it is certainly effective, I've always wondered why this snow throwing move not count as using a prop which is a violation against the rules for competitive skating.
    Because a prop is something foreign brought into the performance. The ice is already there, therefore no prop violation.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"