Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    Yagudin is not cynical, he is just painfully honest. Always.
    I don’t think what people didn`t like was the key message of Alexej’s statement, but the way it had been presented. If he made a comment that now there will be a lot of World Champions around, he could have transported the same message in a less arrogant way. What I found odd was his remark about “those who would never have been able to do that on their own!”.

No one, not even people as talented and as hard working like Alexej become World Champions “on their own”. It’s not like you go out and teach yourself triples and do your own choreography. Alexej got great tech from Majorov and Mishin and Tarasova helped him to become a wonderful and unforgetable artist on the ice (apparently he would not have managed that on his own when he was still with Mishin ) and he got a federation in his back, who paid for his practice when he was young. Do you think he might have managed to become a World Champion when being born in let’s say Malaysia? Just think where Javier Fernandez might be now, if he’d had the same kind of supportive system like Alexej in behind from childhood on?

I perceive this remark on “becoming a world champion on his own” as pretty presumptuous and ungrateful. In addition it shows lack of respect towards other athletes, even when meant to be funny. But then it’s also expression of a certain competitive mindset, which is beneficial for winning major medals. Being overappreciative of other skaters' achievements probably doesn't help in becoming a 4-time World Champion.

Actually I’d wish WTT had existed when Alexej & Plushy still competed against each other – it had been just too funny to watch both of them interacting in the K&C after the other one’s performance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    I don’t think what people didn`t like was the key message of Alexej’s statement, but the way it had been presented. If he made a comment that now there will be a lot of World Champions around, he could have transported the same message in a less arrogant way. What I found odd was his remark about “those who would never have been able to do that on their own!”.

No one, not even people as talented and as hard working like Alexej become World Champions “on their own”. It’s not like you go out and teach yourself triples and do your own choreography. Alexej got great tech from Majorov and Mishin and Tarasova helped him to become a wonderful and unforgetable artist on the ice (apparently he would not have managed that on his own when he was still with Mishin ) and he got a federation in his back, who paid for his practice when he was young. Do you think he might have managed to become a World Champion when being born in let’s say Malaysia? Just think where Javier Fernandez might be now, if he’d had the same kind of supportive system like Alexej in behind from childhood on?

I perceive this remark on “becoming a world champion on his own” as pretty presumptuous and ungrateful. In addition it shows lack of respect towards other athletes, even when meant to be funny. But then it’s also expression of a certain competitive mindset, which is beneficial for winning major medals. Being overappreciative of other skaters' achievements probably doesn't help in becoming a 4-time World Champion.

Actually I’d wish WTT had existed when Alexej & Plushy still competed against each other – it had been just too funny to watch both of them interacting in the K&C after the other one’s performance.
    You may be right about that no one would be a champion on their own; that one needs a coach, choreographer, possibly physio and list of other professionals. However, that doesn't change anything on the fact that some skaters are better and some worse. If medals were received according to that 'no one has managed their success completely on their own', you would have to award the medals to every skater who competes at the championship and to all their coaches and all their choreographers... This is sport; someone is better and someone is not as good. I can understand why someone who was on top can feel that the value of the medals will be devaluated. I feel the same.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    By "on his own," I think all Yagudin meant was without skating teammates.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    +

vCash
    Yes, this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    ...Actually I’d wish WTT had existed when Alexej & Plushy still competed against each other – it had been just too funny to watch both of them interacting in the K&C after the other one’s performance.
    I would pay good $ to see that--especially with Mishin sandwiched between them.

That is what I took it to mean as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    They mentioned in a few interviews that they are completely glad with Morozov's works and glad with the "second mark" they receive for them. Why to change something that works well, right? Especially now, when they got gold and were 20 points ahead. So don't expect any "Pina"s from them.
    Which is a real pity, of course.
    Sooooo frustrating. I love them, but their choreography leaves much to be desired. I would love to see them tackle more complex work, but their current formula seems to be working.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I can understand why someone who was on top can feel that the value of the medals will be devaluated. I feel the same.
    I don’t think values of medals won in individual events will be devaluated by team competitions. There are many other winter sports which have team events and the individual achievements have not been overshadowed by team competitions. Besides that with figure skating in particular I don’t think athletes’ achievements are only measured in medals and Alexei Yagudin is a perfect example – it’s not so much his medal count which is impressive (though of course his medal count is remarkable), but the way how he won OG and some other titles: undoubtedly with perfect programmes artistically and technique wise. That’s why I really considered his remarks and the tone in which they were made as dispensable - Alexei is actually a memorable skater who does not have to fear about that at all. No reason to detract from that with making such a cynical remark.

vCash

Funding situation in St. Pete & Moscow

I came across this article:
    http://nvspb.ru/stories/ih-nujno-zas...-rabotat-51111

It’s about skaters from St. Pete moving to Moscow. It focuses on pairs’ skating and mentions coaching changes, which have already been reported here. What I found interesting was one section mentioning that Moscow can offer more financial support to the skaters / coaches – a reason why even some coaches moved from St. Pete to Moscow. There is also an example given of a skater located in St. Pete, who started to skate at shows, but then continued his career in Moscow (= Andrei Kosizyn training in Natalia Pavlova’s group) indicating that currently skaters can earn more money with training in Moscow than skating at shows. I found that somewhat surprizing. You’d rather expect both cities to have equal funding opportunities?

YEAH!
    vCash
    Any info about the rumor I&K are working with Shpilband this summer? Is this on a limited basis and will he also work with R&T in that capacity?

And is there any news about Stepanova & Bukin's decision to go junior or senior?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post
    I would pay good $ to see that--especially with Mishin sandwiched between them.
    I think both of them will do perfectly fine after so many years in this profession. But it will definitely be a great chance to show fans' creativity, and the ability to dig out special meanings from any of their facial expressions and body languages like they are all great mind readers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    I think both of them will do perfectly fine after so many years in this profession. But it will definitely be a great chance to show fans' creativity, and the ability to dig out special meanings from any of their facial expressions and body languages like they are all great mind readers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTYZhjZtiuA funny!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoB_oaYOzys
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdDddEkUxqc
    Last edited by lala; 04-22-2013 at 05:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    Oh, I was only kidding I was just imagining what things would have been like had they participated in an event like WTT during the years when they were competing against each other and things were (undertandably) tense. I think they have a lot of respect for each other and they certainly seem to have grown closer over the years.

And thanks or those links, lala. Sooooo cute!

And thanks for the article, Katarzyna.
    Last edited by Bournekraatzfan; 04-23-2013 at 06:05 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Any info about the rumor I&K are working with Shpilband this summer? Is this on a limited basis and will he also work with R&T in that capacity?
    Elena and Nikita are currently in New York working with Nikolai Morozov.

Morozov-team.com article
    Support Daisuke, join Daisuke Takahshi Road to Sochi

vCash
    Smirnov's new Hair: Platinum Blonde !
    horrendous he looks like an overcooked Ken Doll

http://www.region.tver.ru/news/?id=6549

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    You can't see him properly in those pictures, but I think it's an improvement.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post

YEAH!
    vCash
    OMG, can't recognize him.

vCash

OMG! Why did I click on that? The description was clear enough it looks horrible!

I hope it's just a spring phase and he changes back asap! Otherwise people will think he and Yuko will look even more mismatched than they did before.

vCash

OMG! Ken Doll! you are right! I can't believe!!!

Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast