Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Your original comment was that it's not like dropping from 3rd to 6th at Euros was a fall from grace because they only got that 3rd due to withdrawals. That was after hanca's statement that they have been inconsistent in seniors, dropping from bronze to a 6th place. I agree that their bronze was possible due to withdrawals, but they did drop in 2013, behind the Italians and the French, so I agree with hanca that their results in 2013 were disappointing for them. B&H were not great at Euros 2013 and it was within S&K's abilities to beat them. They are not performing up to their potential in the GP either, so I think a coaching change is not a bad idea.
    If they feel they have received everything their old coach had to offer then they should leave and grow with someone else to be the best team they can be.

I don’t believe they have been inconsistent the two seasons they have been seniors. My original point was they have been the recipient of good fortune be it competitions and/or medals due to the misfortune of other pairs. Have other skaters throughout time benefited? Absolutely, Trankov even said the gold at the GPF was great but he didn't beat the Germans to get it. Just like the Italians and French benefited from the Russians skating so badly at Euros (although it certainly didn’t help them at Worlds) but I was only referring to S/K opportunities.

Getting 6th at Euros was a disappointment I’m sure but without the withdrawal of B/L, they wouldn’t have even been there in the first place. So should they be sad for 6th place or happy they got to compete in the first place? I'm not sure how well they expected to do at Euros, maybe they knew their chances to medal again were slim.

Is it fair to send them? Is it the rules? Sure but it still means they were the second choice not the first.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    If they feel they have received everything their old coach had to offer then they should leave and grow with someone else to be the best team they can be.
    I am glad you approve. That's what they are trying to do.

I don’t believe they have been inconsistent the two seasons they have been seniors. My original point was they have been the recipient of good fortune be it competitions and/or medals due to the misfortune of other pairs. Have other skaters throughout time benefited? Absolutely, Trankov even said the gold at the GPF was great but he didn't beat the Germans to get it. Just like the Italians and French benefited from the Russians skating so badly at Euros (although it certainly didn’t help them at Worlds) but I was only referring to S/K opportunities.

Getting 6th at Euros was a disappointment I’m sure but without the withdrawal of B/L, they wouldn’t have even been there in the first place. So should they be sad for 6th place or happy they got to compete in the first place? I'm not sure how well they expected to do at Euros, maybe they knew their chances to medal again were slim.
    I don't really care whether you believe or not that they have been inconsistent the two seasons they have been seniors. If you look at their results, you will see that it doesn't show very consistent competition results, but you can believe whatever you wish to. You can believe that you are an angel, if that makes you happy.

I don't think that Stolbova-Klimov would be happy with sixth place at Europeans. I doubt that their opinion will be "Oh, well, we got into Europeans by an accident anyway, so any result will do." You may find out that every skater wants to skate as clean as they are capable. If they can't medal, they want at least to skate to their full potential, so that they can show something for their effort and hard work.

Is it fair to send them? Is it the rules? Sure but it still means they were the second choice not the first.
    And you seem to be the only one who cares whether a skater was sent to the competition as a substitute or whether they were the first choice...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    Somehow I think Gachinski should have switched coaches about one or two years ago. Mishin for sure is a great coach if it comes to technique, but he openly admitted that other skaters step aside when Plushenko is around. It don`t think that`s mentally healthy surrounding for Gachinsky. As soon as Plushenko is making a comeback, the poor guy has to step aside and his coach’s main focus is Plushy and as soon as he was taking a break from eligible skating, everybody seemed to demand perfect competitive results from Gachinski which reflect a No. 1 position in the team.

That can`t be good for a skater who is still developing – one day the other guy, one day the expected leading man in team who has to produce. But the problem of course is that it’s difficult to find an alternative, who teaches good technique but is also powerful in terms of politics. Cause I`m pretty sure Russian Federation would not be very fond of such a coaching change.
    I don't know. IMHO Mishin is good for Gachinsky. Plushy skates to Sochi( if he can, as Plushy said it is 50-50% ). Gachi will be only 20. When Gachi won his silver on ECH, he also trained together with Plush. And they have own time with Mishin. ( Mishin already is the first coach of Tuk too.) I think it's not problem, look at Zueva's pupils.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    I don't know. IMHO Mishin is good for Gachinsky. Plushy skates to Sochi( if he can, as Plushy said it is 50-50% ). Gachi will be only 20. When Gachi won his silver on ECH, he also trained together with Plush. And they have own time with Mishin. ( Mishin already is the first coach of Tuk too.) I think it's not problem, look at Zueva's pupils.
    I don’t deny that Mishin in theory is actually a great coach for Gachinski, but not with Plushenko around. You can’t compare with Zueva – V/M and D/W are competing with same level of experience with comparable record of success. She apparently devotes equal attention to BOTH couples. Plushenko on the other hand is a legend, Gachinski still an upcoming, though certainly very talented and given his age already quite decorated skater. But overall definitely far away from the league of Plushenko. - One competition almost beating a legend does not make that skater a legend himself.

Mishin – judging statements he made himself in interviews – does not pay such equal attention to Plushenko and Gachinski. How can such a work surrounding give Gachinski the competitive mindset to move from an upcoming talent to a real champion? Can you think of e.g. young Yagudin being willing to step aside, just because there is a legendary skater around? And yes, sure this will change after Sochi – but then I don`t think having to sit and wait until Plushy retires is ideal work surrounding for the time being, in particular when other skaters like Kovtun meanwhile have appropriate work surrounding and support to turn into champions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    I don’t deny that Mishin in theory is actually a great coach for Gachinski, but not with Plushenko around. You can’t compare with Zueva – V/M and D/W are competing with same level of experience with comparable record of success. She apparently devotes equal attention to BOTH couples. Plushenko on the other hand is a legend, Gachinski still an upcoming, though certainly very talented and given his age already quite decorated skater. But overall definitely far away from the league of Plushenko. - One competition almost beating a legend does not make that skater a legend himself.

Mishin – judging statements he made himself in interviews – does not pay such equal attention to Plushenko and Gachinski. How can such a work surrounding give Gachinski the competitive mindset to move from an upcoming talent to a real champion? Can you think of e.g. young Yagudin being willing to step aside, just because there is a legendary skater around? And yes, sure this will change after Sochi – but then I don`t think having to sit and wait until Plushy retires is ideal work surrounding for the time being, in particular when other skaters like Kovtun meanwhile have appropriate work surrounding and support to turn into champions.
    hm. I remember, the young Plush was in same group with Urmanov, Yagudin etc. Could he improve? I think this is a bit polarized. I'm sure if Artur changes his coach, it would be worse for him than if he stays with Mishin. They already make his new program, Anna Karenina.

vCash
    Oksana Domnina and Roman Kostomarov with their daughter: http://i.imgur.com/xzqfyRj.png?1

From the Figure Skating magazine http://www.fsonline.ru/fk1_13.pdf

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    Oksana Domnina and Roman Kostomarov with their daughter: http://i.imgur.com/xzqfyRj.png?1

roman

vCash
    [QUOTE=quiqie;3894298]Oksana Domnina and Roman Kostomarov with their daughter: http://i.imgur.com/xzqfyRj.png?1

So beautiful girl!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Their daughter has a great expression.

Thank you so much, quiqie! The magazine has lots of great photos.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Aww she's just darling. I didn't even recognize Domnina in that picture. LOL

vCash
    She's very like Roman
    I've wanted to see a pic with them and their little girl .Would love to see Albena/Maxim with their son .They all seem to keep their children out of the limelight which is their choice of course but it's nice to see them .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    hm. I remember, the young Plush was in same group with Urmanov, Yagudin etc. Could he improve? I think this is a bit polarized. I'm sure if Artur changes his coach, it would be worse for him than if he stays with Mishin. They already make his new program, Anna Karenina.
    Plushenko was nowhere near the situation Gachinski is the year before preparing for Nagano Olympics. First of all as much as I love Urmanov (actually found his skating more appealing than Plushenko), he was nowhere near as decorated as Plushenko. Actually he was a rather disputed Olympic Champion (though I think he won deservedly) and that kind of sports legend Plushenko is. Plushenko on the other hand was an only 16 year old supertalented boy who never competed at a major ISU Championship that time and also never had the pressure to be Russia No. 1 man to present the country in absence of Urmanov. – That kind of pressure which was on Gachinskis shoulders, to deliver when Plushenko didn’t compete. Actually it was fine for Plushenko to train with Urmanov – a role model he could still learn of.

The one who was in a rather similar role – if all – was Yagudin. But with the depths of Russian men skating that time he also didn’t face that kind of external pressure that was put on Gachinski’s shoulders. And obviously Yaugdin didn`t like to work in a surrounding where he felt the coach was not giving enough attention to him as he left camp Mishin after winning Worlds in 1998.

But you are right – while I think Gachinski is in a uncomfortable situation with Plushenko appearing here and then in competiton, to arrange for coaching change now would be just as difficult.

vCash

quiqie - thank you sooooo much for the links!
    What a cute baby! And and a beautiful family!

Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    She's very like Roman .
    I too think so. Especially the ears!

vCash
    Gachinski was asked last year just after Worlds if he considered changing coaches.

The answer was lightning-quick and sharp: No.

It's obvious that there are issues, but I'm not convinced those have to do with Mishin coaching both of them.

Remember, once upon a time Artur was the small boy sitting in front of his TV watching Plushenko in awe. Now he's competing against him. That's going to come with a whole lot of special issues all of its own. Throw in the endless "new Plushenko" "Plushenko-clone" comparisons, the enormous pressure from the public and his own Federation to be a new superstar (and then the endless criticism when he had one bad competition...), and an over-all lack of self-confidence (likely rooted in some of the aforementioned issues), and probably the smartest thing Mishin ever did was split their training times!

Oh, the power dynamics in that rink must be interesting...

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Gachinski also had the "next Plushenko" thing thrown at him since he was what, 11 or 12? That's just a huge weight on a kid's shoulders especially with no other Russian man really stepping up to the plate (other than sporadic successes). I'm not overly fond of the kid's style of skating, but I feel for him with the hype he's had to deal with for years.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    [QUOTE=lala;3894328]

So beautiful girl!
    I couldn't recognize Domnina.
    She looks so young without strong makeup and her hair so short.
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    ^She does look different! Lovely pic, all the best to them!

vCash
    don't know if V/T are working on 3T-3T combination but this is what I found on YT:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gObNMbc-aLQ

vCash
    she's a great jumper...I dunno how she saved that salchow in the sp at worlds!

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kapriza View Post
    don't know if V/T are working on 3T-3T combination but this is what I found on YT:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gObNMbc-aLQ
    That was awesome!

Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast