Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Like the Fed sending Menshov to Worlds if he wins Nationals? I really have trouble to believe they would, they didn't send Menshov to Worlds back in 2011 when he was 27, why would they want to send him three years later, is Menshov getting any younger?

Can't wait to see the Gachinski/Kovtun rivalry next season.
    The issue is not neccessarily what happens after Euros, but what happens before it. Euros has always been the selection event for Worlds for Russia. Had Menshov beaten Gachinski in 2011, he would have likely been Russia's man at Worlds that year. But the main issue, I think, was that this year Menshov was not even given that chance, passed over for the selection event. The RuFed made things unneccesarily difficult and even more painful when they rabbited on all that rubbish about the Russian Cup Final. Mishin's main issue, I suspect, was with the Euros selection; he was very much in favour of Menshov going.

As to the budding Gachinski/Kovtun rivaly: Gachinski is already up 1-0. But at this point I am happy (and I am sure he is too) to forgo the rivalry stuff and get focus on getting back on track.

vCash
    I prefer Gachinsky, not Kovtun, Gachi is a beautiful skater. I hope his beautiful jumps will be succesful again.

vCash
    Stolbova and Klimov wil be going to Moser, not sure if all the teams trying to go to her is a good idea. Someone will always be left out in the cold.

http://news.sport-express.ru/2013-04-03/577353/

YEAH!
    vCash
    V&T are great, but I have a feeling they would do well with almost any coaching. I'm not sure how much can be attributed to Mozer, though she does a great job. I remember a quote Platov had about V&M/Igor - with talent like that, the coach's job is mainly not to spoil it. That describes V&T as well. Not sure if Mozer will be able to help skaters who need to improve fundamentals, but it'll be interesting to see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    V&T are great, but I have a feeling they would do well with almost any coaching. I'm not sure how much can be attributed to Mozer, though she does a great job. I remember a quote Platov had about V&M/Igor - with talent like that, the coach's job is mainly not to spoil it. That describes V&T as well. Not sure if Mozer will be able to help skaters who need to improve fundamentals, but it'll be interesting to see.
    I agree with that, I would like to see her take an average team and make them something great (verses a great team and keep them going) she never did that with her other teams.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I think there are several things here: Volosozhar and Trankov were not an established team like V/M who had skated together since they were children and given the same, basic, fabulous fundamentals. It could have taken them far longer to harmonized their throw and twist techniques, which they said were quite different when they paired, and it sounds like Morosov was in charge of that. Add in a personal relationship, and V/T could have crashed and burned.

I think Mozer knows when to step in and when to keep her ego out of it and how to create a good working environment, and she looks outside as well as in for excelence in pairs skating. I don't know whether anyone can make a jumper out of Bazarova, but I think Mozer will create a good environment in which to train, and I think the competition will help B/L and S/K.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Stolbova and Klimov wil be going to Moser, not sure if all the teams trying to go to her is a good idea. Someone will always be left out in the cold.

http://news.sport-express.ru/2013-04-03/577353/
    I'm not convinced... I do hope S/K will not lose their voidiness. Please steer clear of His Oiliness crapography! [if there are plans to make him their new choreographer...]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shah View Post
    I'm not convinced... I do hope S/K will not lose their voidiness. Please steer clear of His Oiliness crapography! [if there are plans to make him their new choreographer...]
    yeah, hope that too.
    i really liked their past programs, hope the will continue with programs like that.
    they always have something special until now.

and btw: what about the russian rule not to change coaches in the pre-olympic and olympic season? seems to be some serious rule

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    The RuFed made things unneccesarily difficult and even more painful when they rabbited on all that rubbish about the Russian Cup Final. Mishin's main issue, I suspect, was with the Euros selection; he was very much in favour of Menshov going.
    While I'm convinced Menshov was robbed and treated just incredibly unfair by his Fed, I think Mishin’s support for Menshov should be taken with a grain of salt. – He knows that Menshov will retire next year, but Kovtun will stay and actually get stronger every year. So presumably he was voting against Gachinski’s main rival for the upcoming years. That’s one of the reasons why I found it pretty ridiculous that such decision is made by coaches, who of course also pursue their own interests.

I also think there is some irony in it when Mishin expresses hopes that team selection will be objective next years – it’s not as if he never tried to press his skaters in the team by politics (and he actually succeeded at times). He is just a clever fox!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shah View Post
    I really hope not. Mozer's junior teams always had original choreography, so I have hope on that end.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    The biggest advantage for B/L and S/K is that Mozer has the top team in Russia at the moment and a lot of resources and support they won't get with any other coach or team.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post

and btw: what about the russian rule not to change coaches in the pre-olympic and olympic season? seems to be some serious rule
    One can argue that they didn't change the coach in the pre-olympic and olympic season; they changed the coach between the seasons! (I suppose, you can get around any rule if you have enough imagination)

vCash
    http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20130404/654954657.html

Voronov has left Morozov's group, but no word yet on who his new coach will be.

vCash
    Very interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post

the first one to jump off the team. no surprise, that some may be going, don't expected it would be voronov. so, alena following and miki is bouncing back

vCash

Maybe he will retire?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    yeah, hope that too.
    i really liked their past programs, hope the will continue with programs like that.
    they always have something special until now.

I agree about S/K, hope they stay interesting and unusual. About the rule - I think it sounds like "skaters are not allowed to switch coaches without the approval of the federation". So they can, but they have to ask Piseev first

vCash
    To be fair, Stolbova and Klimov were very strong while they were at junior level, but since they came to seniors (the last two seasons) they became a bit unpredictable and inconsistent. Especially the last season they quite stagnated. Although their bronze medal at Europeans 2012 was a great achievement, this year they did not deliver when it counted. 3rd at GP is reasonable, but then 5th at GP is a bad result for someone who managed to be 3rd at Europeans in 2012. And their Europeans 2013 - 6th -3 places lower than the previous year... anyway, I am glad that they decided to make a change. I am not sure whether Mozer is the best coach for them, because she wasn't very well known with her teaching results before she started with Volosozhar-Trankov and it is possible that Volosozhar-Trankov would have this results with anyone. On the other hand I am not saying that Mozer isn't good. At least she has a chance to prove herself and we will see. Still, for Stolbova and Klimov it is better to make a change (even if it may potentially not work out) rather than repeating the same if there is no improvement. They have nothing to lose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    To be fair, Stolbova and Klimov were very strong while they were at junior level, but since they came to seniors (the last two seasons) they became a bit unpredictable and inconsistent. Especially the last season they quite stagnated. Although their bronze medal at Europeans 2012 was a great achievement, this year they did not deliver when it counted. 3rd at GP is reasonable, but then 5th at GP is a bad result for someone who managed to be 3rd at Europeans in 2012. And their Europeans 2013 - 6th -3 places lower than the previous year... anyway, I am glad that they decided to make a change. I am not sure whether Mozer is the best coach for them, because she wasn't very well known with her teaching results before she started with Volosozhar-Trankov and it is possible that Volosozhar-Trankov would have this results with anyone. On the other hand I am not saying that Mozer isn't good. At least she has a chance to prove herself and we will see. Still, for Stolbova and Klimov it is better to make a change (even if it may potentially not work out) rather than repeating the same if there is no improvement. They have nothing to lose.
    S/K didn't earn their way to Euros in 2012 they were sent there due to the surgery of Smirnov. Not only were K/S not there but neither was S/S. If S/S were there, they would have been 4th and if K/S were there, they would have been home. Same goes for their nationals medals as well. They have had some great opportunities at the cost of sick and injured skaters, I hope they do a lot with the move but I'm not holding out hope, maybe they will get a better twist.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    The biggest advantage for B/L and S/K is that Mozer has the top team in Russia at the moment and a lot of resources and support they won't get with any other coach or team.
    That’s surely an advantage. But both couples will have to be prepared to train with their closest competitors from the same country in direct surrounding. That’s not everybody’s cup of tea.
    But let's wait and

Thank you for the info morqet. I’m really curious who will be his new coach? Maybe he will go back to Urmanov?

Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Maybe he will retire?
    Very unlikely. Possibly after 2014, but it would not make sense to retire 1 year before Olympic Games in Sochi with Plushenko not being a secure bet for the spot after major spinal surgery, Menshov as usual dumped by the own Fed, Gachinksi being out of shape for most season and Kovtun having shown that he was not ready to compete at Worlds level in Seniors. It’s not that there is absolutely no chance for him to make the team and Olympics in Russia are for sure worth giving it another try.

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast