Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    I guess she will be in all the euros/worlds etc after the 2014, though my impression as an israeli she'll be attempting to pass the SP and into the LP, doubt there would be any top 10 talks...

In general am pissed again - the israeli nationals included american kids only. There were no local skaters at all (all the dance and pairs guys are from Israel, but they have not been training in Israel for some years now). Finally they open a rink in Israel in the centre and the first thing that is done is getting yet another skater who is not a local... Ugh...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    I guess she will be in all the euros/worlds etc after the 2014, though my impression as an israeli she'll be attempting to pass the SP and into the LP, doubt there would be any top 10 talks...
    would be not too sure about that. although level has increased (thanks god), i think she is asbolutely a candidate for a top10 result (at euros at least), we will see.

In general am pissed again - the israeli nationals included american kids only. There were no local skaters at all (all the dance and pairs guys are from Israel, but they have not been training in Israel for some years now). Finally they open a rink in Israel in the centre and the first thing that is done is getting yet another skater who is not a local... Ugh...
    totally agree

btw. who will be shelepens coach? does everything remain?
    wouldn't be surprised if we see galit chait in a few months haha

it will not take too long for pushkash/guerrerio leaving russian fed too. wouldn't be surprised by monko/khaliavin too

vCash

I can understand why you are not happy, but wouldn't getting some success (even through 'imported skaters') make the skating more visible in your country and maybe more children would want to learn to skate? I would think if any of the skaters (and no matter if 'home one' or 'imported one') start bringing medals, the popularity of skating may suddenly increase...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    would be not too sure about that. although level has increased (thanks god), i think she is asbolutely a candidate for a top 10 result (at euros at least), we will see.
    Yes I agree. Especially after the Olympics, when Kostner/Asada/Kim/Suzuki probably retire, top ten could be doable for her. And at the Europeans I can imagine her being even 4-6.

vCash
    [B]Article: Russian Figure Skating Starlet to Represent Israel/B]

http://en.rsport.ru/other_sports/201...652782132.html

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    "Russia’s figure skating reputation on thin ice": http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/03/22/a...n-on-thin-ice/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    wouldn't getting some success (even through 'imported skaters') make the skating more visible in your country and maybe more children would want to learn to skate? I would think if any of the skaters (and no matter if 'home one' or 'imported one') start bringing medals, the popularity of skating may suddenly increase...
    I doubt it. For one thing, there's almost nowhere for these kids to skate - Israel only has three decent rinks, one is brand new and the other two are very out of the way (Metulla and Eilat). In addition, my feeling is that so long as the skaters are not perceived as truly Israeli, it won't get much attention. For most people, this would mean someone who grew up in Israel, trained primarily in Israel at least for the early part of their career, and preferably has an Israeli sounding name; bonus points if they served in the military. So far, the only skaters to have checked off most of these and achieve good results were the Zaretskis, and it wasn't enough (it probably didn't help that they retired after the 2009-10 season). I remember explaining to people that they really were Israeli and not imports.

What Israel needs for skating to take off is more centrally located rinks, better coaches, and a federation that actually cares about developing the sport from the ground up, that is, something like the Spanish model. I won't hold my breath.

Shelepen made a smart move, FWIW. She wouldn't have had much of a future representing Russia, now she'll get to go to ISU Championships every year.

vCash
    Summing up: Afonkina is skating for Bulgaria, Ovcharova for Switzerland, Shelepen for Israel... who's next?
    I think some of these lesser known wonderbabies should also consider AZE...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shah View Post
    Summing up: Afonkina is skating for Bulgaria, Ovcharova for Switzerland, Shelepen for Israel... who's next?
    Gosviani for Georgia? But as she was at Europeans, she would have a long wait...and Russian Federation may not want to release her.

vCash
    Usually - as in these cases - the ones leave who are struggeling and as experience shows they are rarely doing much better once they started representing another country and have "easy" access to international events.

vCash
    wont be long for others to follow Gerasimova, Agafonova etc.
    Belarus, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, Armenia, Georgia we're coming

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    Maybe some of them, maybe not. I remember what Alexander Abt said- he said he sees no point in competing for another country. If he is not strong enough to be at the top in Russia, he won't be at the top anyway.
    Alexander Abt was a Russian skater who competed end of the 90s, and in the early 2000 years, he was an Olympian in 2002 and earned medals at Europeans, came close to the podium at Worlds. He had a though time getting through in Russia with Urmanov, Yagudin, Plushenko, Pashkevitch at that time. Some people suggested he should compete for another country.

vCash
    Pashkevitch! Now there's a name I'd forgotten!

I remember Klimkin from that era (or maybe a bit later) too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    "Russia’s figure skating reputation on thin ice": http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/03/22/a...n-on-thin-ice/
    There was actually not one word said about Russians performance in London! I expected more about that. Even though the author would've mentioned v/t gold the other disciplines like ladies and men could've supported the point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    There was actually not one word said about Russians performance in London! I expected more about that. Even though the author would've mentioned v/t gold the other disciplines like ladies and men could've supported the point.
    of course there is no mention of V/T gold or even B/S bronze because the article wouldn't be grimm as it was intended to be

vCash
    Financial issues might stop them, too. If they stop representing Russia they will lose all the support from the Federation and need to pay themselves for their coaching, equipment, ice time etc and this is very expensive. These former Soviet Union Federations usually don't have a lot of money, so these skaters have to rely on themselves and their families. I heard from one girl for example who wanted to represent another former Soviet Republic (where apparently her family is originally from) but didn't, at least not yet, because she would need to pay a lot of money for her coaching.

vCash
    of course there is no mention of V/T gold or even B/S bronze because the article wouldn't be grimm as it was intended to be
    Very true. It makes me mad each time when a journalist tweaks all facts and everything else around just to fit his story/his idea. It is the same with the likes of C. Brennan and this Reuters type who talk about the end of figure skating.

vCash
    I don't think Ovcharova will be skating for Switzerland any time soon. Swiss citizenship is incredibly hard to get. From wiki:
    Citizenship in Switzerland may be obtained by a permanent resident who lived in Switzerland for at least 12 years (any years spent in Switzerland between the 10th and the 20th years of age count double) and lived in the country for 3 out of the last 5 years before applying for citizenship.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    I don't think Ovcharova will be skating for Switzerland any time soon. Swiss citizenship is incredibly hard to get. From wiki:
    She doesn't need citizenship for ISU competitions, though. But she'd need the release from the Figure Skating Federation of Russia. She would need citizenship of course if she wants to compete at the Olympic Games.

Maybe she was registered with residency in Switzerland even before she switched countries. Her family seems to have ties there or part of her family lived there before, so it is a possibility. Then maybe she'd have a shot at getting citizenship for 2018, with the rule that the years between 10 and 20 count double (interesting, I didn't know that). However, this is all pure speculation. Who knows if she plans to stick around that long anyway.

vCash
    Ovcharova said on her formspring she will not compete in the Sochi Olympics, so that is likely due to citizenship issues. But she can still compete in ISU events starting next season though. I believe the situation is comparable to Takahashi/Tran where the citizenship thing only really impairs her ability to compete in the Olympics, not in regular ISU competitions.

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast